Author Topic: Desparado Firearm pistol and knife build  (Read 4988 times)

A_Clever_Monocle

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Desparado Firearm pistol and knife build
« on: March 08, 2021, 11:23:41 am »
This build is looking at the bonuses to firearm pistols and throwing knives

Starting Stats

Strength: 5

Dexterity: 10

Constitution: 3

Perception: 6

Will: 3

Int:6

All stat points from leveling will go into dexterity for a few reasons

at 18 dex

throwing knives are 10 AP to use

A rapid 44 hammerer is 15 AP per shot BEFORE bullet time and gunslinger are applied (12 ap after gunslinger, all the way down to 6 with BT, point shot with jkk might even reach 1 AP with eel sandwich)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

equipment

Bullet Strap Belt (this build burns through mags and that extra 10 ap is almost 2 more shots during bullet time)

jkk tactful jacket (mainly for the point shot and crit bonuses but feel free to swap for something else endgame)

Rapid Smart .44 hammerer of the highest quality

A rapid extended 9mm falchion or neo luger of the highest quality (for large numbers of weaker enemies)

Seeker googles

Energy (not shock) Dagger

high-quality Tabi boots

Utility slots (you get three unless you take quick pockets) there is an A(Organic) and a B(robotic/ high resist) loadout

A1 Throwing Knife                                             B1 Shock Shuriken
A2 Flashbang                                                    B2 EMP grenade
A3 Taser                                                           B3 Net

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skills to dump and when

Guns: Dump at 70 as you have met all feat prerequisites

Lockpicking can be dumped at around 85 ish points (if you get a certain lockpick) due to the fact you get obscene dexterity scaling (+110.5%) on your effective skills meaning you can yet around 185 effective skill (enough to open most locks in the game I think the highest mechanical lock is around 190 or 200 in expedition)

for this reason, melee is also your main attack stat, and you want to start throwing spare points into that around level 6 or so and you should aim to have it at 90 base skill when you take versatility at level 16

Metathermics 40 (because Crystatis and Cryokenetic orb both trigger opportunist)

its good to have throwing high (if not maxed) but you can likely afford to dump when it reaches 80-90 base skill

EDIT: Got my happy ass over to the character builder

Guns: 70 (210 OR 245 with versatility spec of 5)
Throwing 97 (212)
Melee: 160 (350)

Dodge:0
Evasion:0

Stealth: 160 (200)
Hacking: 0
Lockpicking: 85 (186+ 15 if you can get a certain something from a certain someone)
Pickpocketing: 0
Traps: 0

Mechanics: 129 (150)
Electronics: 129 (150)
Chemestry: 38 (50)
Biology: 60 (75)
Tailoring 69 (80) Its worth it just for the ability to scrap clothes in order to make nets

dump all psi except for

Metathermics 40 (cryo orb) this ability is iffy to be honest but I think the ability to mass slow for opportunist proc is worth it

temporal Manipulation: 129 (120)

Persuade: 0 (65) (a total of +30 from jkk jacket and tattoo, 34 from mercantile)
intimidate: 0
Mercantile: 103 (120)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now for feats

L1: Gunslinger/hit and run

L2: Opportunist

L4: Point Shot

L6: Steadfast Aim

L8: Rapid Fire

L10: Fatal Throw (3 spec AP bonus)

L12: Execute (2 Spec CD)

L14: Bullet Time (5 Spec)

L16: Versatility (way better than guns with 6 perception, specialty dump for any leftover points)

L18: Ambush (this and bullet time together are grounds for a massacre)

L20: Expose Weakness (for those tough nuts, also makes throwing knife kills more doable)

L22: Remote Surgeon (greatly improves chances of killing with fatal throw, ok spec choice)

L24: Psyco Temporal Accelleration

L26: Improved Dexterity  (a MUST)

L28: Player Choice

L30: Player Choice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How this build fights

Open with a flashbang (or emp for bots), bullet time and any ability that boosts your AP

use execute on either the nearest enemy or the most durable one

If that does not kill said, enemy use rapid-fire, and if that does not kill the target start praying (or reload save and switch to AP rounds)

Point shot

use LTI and Point shot again

Be sure to use a knife on anything low heath (under 25% for the fatal throw crit, remote surgeon makes this more reliable)

Fire and reload until out of AP

round 2

Rapid fire and point shot should be up again So use those

Very rarely is anything alive at this point

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for large scale fights use bullet time do everything the same except instead of using execute you should throw a flare and absolutely massacre using ambush

save execute for when an enemy gets too close for comfort

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for bosses and super high res enemies open with a stun, expose weakness, and then execute with ap in the gun (very few things can survive) expose weakness can open up even the toughest opponents like a can of spagettios

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feats I would not recommend

Aimed shot (its a wasted feat, rapid-fire is just better)

Gun Fu- poor return on investment, melee range should either be execute or your knife

Post your suggestions and opinions below
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:44:03 pm by A_Clever_Monocle »

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Desparado Firearm pistol and knife build
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 12:05:13 pm »
I did almost the same setups as you are, but .44 Hammerhead is such a cancer.
Gun-Fu is a bit sus because I read somewhere that "unmodified" means the literal skill points you put on, so at max level, its going to be 160 * ##% of the skill. that sucks. basically temporary version of Versatility.

>Lockpicking can be dumped at around 85 ish points (if you get a certain lockpick) due to the fact you get obscene dexterity scaling (+110.5%) on your effective skills meaning you can yet around 185 effective skill (enough to open most locks in the game I think the highest mechanical lock is around 190 or 200 in expedition)
It's 125 afaik. 130 is max on DC.

A_Clever_Monocle

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 12:51:14 pm »
Expedition dlc has locks at 190 I believe there was one for 200 or 210, Im coming back after some time, but the dlc has some crazy high level locks

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 09:21:53 am »
Expedition dlc has locks at 190 I believe there was one for 200 or 210, Im coming back after some time, but the dlc has some crazy high level locks
I'm close on finishing the Expedition rn (just the last underwater ones), and the highest lock I encounter is 125 near the submarine area with loads of spider thing

A_Clever_Monocle

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 11:26:12 pm »
huh well guess you can get away with having next to no lockpicking then

Djpuffnstuff

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 03:40:17 am »
I did almost the same setups as you are, but .44 Hammerhead is such a cancer.
Gun-Fu is a bit sus because I read somewhere that "unmodified" means the literal skill points you put on, so at max level, its going to be 160 * ##% of the skill. that sucks. basically temporary version of Versatility.

It's 96 if you specialize into gun-fu which is only 4 specialization. Versatility is better but you would spend 10 specializations to get a smaller boost, but it's not viable for this particular build for a whole other reason. It has to be melee range like barrel stare and he doesn't seem to have agility or sprint or hit and run or fancy footwork to move forward anyway.

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 11:22:31 am »
A rapid 44 hammerer is 15 AP per shot BEFORE bullet time and gunslinger are applied (12 ap after gunslinger, all the way down to 6 with BT, point shot with jkk might even reach 1 AP with eel sandwich)

You sure about that? I'm making a Bullet Time based build, just started though. I also thought it's going to be 6 ap at 18 dex but numbers on my lvl 12 char didn't add up to what I saw. I now think Gunslinger bonus is applied last, after bullet time. There is also rounding. The formula that matches my ap cost so far is:

Floor( [Base AP with Rapid Reloader] * (1 - [dex reduction]) * (1 - [Bullet Time reduction]) ) - [Gunslinger (3)]

According to that, the cost of rapid .44 hammerer at exactly 18 dex and 5/5 spec should be... 4 ap. Biggest gun, lowest cost.

Can you confirm / deny?

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 12:27:41 pm »
I was right! Sadly, I'm not right anymore...

Fixed the bug that would cause Bullet Time to incorrectly modify AP cost by being applied prior to Gunslinger

No 4 ap .44 barrage anymore...