Author Topic: Viable spear throw build?  (Read 3079 times)

Karvev

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Viable spear throw build?
« on: January 15, 2021, 06:37:57 am »
So i want to make a character more or less focused on a spear throw, but it just doesn't seem useful at all.

All i can see generally is 2 options:

Full dexterity for throwing knives last hits and grenade feats, but three pointer and grenadier are just more than enough (especially if you spec into three pointer) to obliterate any encounter and if not, do it on a second turn. Which makes it sort of pointless, since you want to last hit enemies with your knives.

Or just a strength build based on crits, in which case spear throw is not needed since you're a glass cannon and (imo) should one shot everything anyway, meanwhile not maxing dex will result in low thc for non-incapacitated(or similiar) targets, and using ap to increase your thc and not cc seems a waste.

All in all i just cant think of any build that utilizes the spear throw effectively and not just for the sake of it being used.

Have anyone played it or have an idea of that such build should be like?

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Viable spear throw build?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 01:50:46 am »
Full dex is the go to.
Just think of it as any throwing build with three pointer.
You can use Spear Throw as a silent way to take down enemies. Think of it like your sniper rifle with 2 ammo per turn. It should be able to kill most stuff in 1 throw quite reliably compared to throwing knife.
The other utility is, you could pick Fend as free temporary shield. It doesn't scale with anything but your current spear stats, so you could even go with 0 melee stats.
Although, I'm not sure if throwing spear damage will be good enough without melee stats.
Spear and Sword build is always kinda awkward because you need to balanced it out between STR and DEX instead of going all-in like most weapon out there.

Karvev

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 02:37:42 pm »
Yeah, i decided to give up on that, without melee it doesnt deal good enough damage(maybe with energy edge its fine), and if i'm pumping all my pts into melee i could have just take any other weapon skill.
Guess it can be used to make +1 attack with Tichrome spear after sweep, so you dont have to max throwing and just play a regular melee build, but imo thats it.

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 03:56:50 pm »
You do not actually need any strength to throw a spear I think, so you could make a low str high dex melee+throwing build and use the spear as an extra throwing utility. Keep a knife in the other hand to rip people up, and throwing knives to finish an enemy with fatal throw if the spear left them with a little health left.

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 06:20:39 pm »
I just recently did a spear build, and found strength to be a better option then dex. I just pumped throwing to base 75 and used spear throw to hit immobilized/ nearby enemies. Spear throw does more damage than a standard spear attack, so it is worth using if you want to maximize damage, and the damage bonus and additional benefits you get from strength are far better then only receiving the crit and initative bonus from dex.

sagiv150

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 06:47:53 pm »
I have just played a dex spear build but its mostly throwing build because its uses all kind of throwing
https://underrail.info/build/?HgoQBgMDAwU3wqAAwqAAAGQAAAAAwqDCoHDChQAAAADCoAAAUDkvwpUWwpQrPsKHUcKIBks3PybChXbCs-KktgLipbwH4qi7A-KzogPfvw
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 05:02:48 am by sagiv150 »