Author Topic: My experience - Why I gave up in frustration after an hour  (Read 14637 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: My experience - Why I gave up in frustration after an hour
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 06:18:40 pm »
You're not used to taking to criticism, or to customer relations, huh? All I can say is be careful surrounding yourself with yes-men, you're not going to improve that way.

So, if you're basically telling me to piss off and my feedback isn't worthwhile can I have my money back?

That's not what I said. I said it wasn't feedback. I am used to taking feedback I disagree with and I got plenty of it here and on various other forums, but there's feedback and there's just hating everything about the game and wanting it to be something else.

I don't have a problem with that either, no game can please everyone, but I don't have time to defend/argue every single aspect of the game with someone who doesn't like it at all, which I think is the case here.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 08:46:42 pm »
Felt like reading a Yathzee review, but less witty and more arrogant, which was not pleasant. I'm surprised Styg didn't shred you considering the unnecessary hostility in the original post. You're entitled to your opinion for sure, but being surprised and hurt when the dev takes offense to your writing is just being silly and childish, instead of reflecting over how snarky the OP was.

SagaDC

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 12:30:03 am »
I actually stopped reading the sarcasm-riddled First Post after about half-a-dozen paragraphs (around the point where he went to pick up his gun). I will note that, for someone who claims experience in the arena of video games, he made a lot of very odd and basic mistakes (Forgetting to equip things? Criticizing NPC response to theft, even though that's exactly how it's done in dozens of other triple-A RPGs?).

I'm not really a 'Yes Man' myself, as I've made several comments and suggestions over in the Suggestions sub-forum, but I will agree with the assessment that Angus Prune does not give the impression of someone who wants to give constructive criticism. He came to vent, and then decided to act defensive after people dared to disagree with his assessment. When Styg commented on this, Angus responded by claiming that Styg "isn't used to taking criticism" and demanded a refund. That sounds about on par for the internet, I suppose.

All in all, it's probably best to shrug and move on. Angus will either get over it and give the game another shot somewhere down the line, or he'll continue throwing his tantrum for a bit longer and eventually move on.

Sudilos

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 08:09:16 pm »
Ios7 just threw my post away. So pissed right now. In short, paying customers/end ysers have a right to state their ideas views and opinions and they earn the right by playing the game and paying cash for it. Its right there on steam "guide direction of game.". Its up to the dev to ultimately decide the direction of his game. Nothing new here thou, a verbose OP leads to multiple posts with either an insult or a curse word. I will send my feedback directly to the dev or just not reply to snot nose kids with foul mouths because my feedback is not made for them.

It is true however that the dev put in que's such as the blazing red hand. You may not want to open tanners desk while he is sitting at it. If the tool tip is red unlike the usual black.  +1 ai in everygame, -1 if your char cant fight or sneak then he is a walking corpse. Char design amd game elements are fairly basic enough to understand. My psi/cross/stealth is a cannon, even without shroomhead and aim shot.

Lohengrin

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 02:16:24 am »
OP was not constructive feedback, it was a "look at me" drama queen attempt at Zero Punctuation.

When I hovered over the desk in my room and it was black, then later hovered over another shelf and it turned red, that was all the feedback I needed to make the determination that "black = good" and "red = bad." I don't need a voice over provided by Morgan Freeman and a big flashing "don't touch" sign to tell me I shouldn't mess with the contents

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 01:05:11 pm »
Constructive feedback? This is how our James Heaver decided to start his post:
I just can't bring myself to continue playing this. It's just bad in every respect.
When I pay money for a game, I don't expect it to be bad from the word go. Mediocre I can deal with, bad is right out.

Then he goes on complaining about the most stupid things:
We've just hit the classic RPG problem. The player is ignorant of the setting, you need to ensure their avatar is at least as ignorant if not more so. Hence the incredible
prevalence of amnesia attacks amongst potential heroes. You can probably come up with something a little smoother that cliche, though
No you don't have to. In Witcher, even though he has amnesia, he holds knowledge of the world's lore and fauna that i did not and it was hardly a concern. Why should a grown man be oblivious of his own world? And to me its must better to find about the setting being exploring it and living it than being told. It adds more mystery, some things should be left untold.
Arx Fatalis explained what happened, why humanity was living under the ground with all these other beings, but if it had not my discoveries would have held much more meaning to me.
1) I'm apparently the man (or woman) with no name just wandered in to town. That's apparently all anyone knows about me. Maybe it's explained who I am later, but I kind of doubt it.

Explain who you are? You created your character! Is this your first time at a RPG? Its standard practice in RPGs, that allow you to create your own character, to leave your past in blank so you can fill it out yourself. I hate it when a game forces a 60 years old lonely man to have a 14 year old sister and a 55 year old father.
by making it much more obvious that RED HAND MEANS THEFT
Oh boy... are you serious? More obvious than a red hand? You mean that the approach, that even the dumbed down series of the elderscroolls use, is not enough for you? Not enough obvious for you? I bet you love today's hand held approach most next gen games take. I guess you really need it.
Hello, Lucas! Can I have my gun back. Oh, apparently we've met. Funny, I have no memory of that.Probably hit my head in the earthquake.
Again with this one? Really? Why is this even a problem? Where you bothered that in Fallout your character already knew people from his Vault and you didn't? If a man kisses a woman in a movie in the first scene do you shout something like: "Are they lovers? I didn't knew they were lovers! Are they married? So many questions unanswered!!"
At ten yards, I have a less than 40% chance to hit a stationary target.
Why didn't you configured the target distance to 5 yards instead? Did you know that it is usually easier to hit targets that are closer to you?
Wait, isn't that obvious enough for you?
Below is a bit vague, considering we're not given a hint which direction is up.
So you take the elevator up to go below? *facepalm*

None of your complaints, with maybe the exception of the AI, are valid.
And you clearly aren't cut out to play a game that requires to use your brain.
You couldn't find your armor, you didn't get what the red hand was, you thought going up in the elevator would take you down, you
did not manage to configure the target distance and then you had to post your "feedback" and your "constructive criticism".

Have fun with Thief 4.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:09:46 pm by LazyMonk »
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."