Author Topic: Help with battlemage build  (Read 7378 times)

Drizzle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Help with battlemage build
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 02:56:07 pm »

Holy shit dude, you are an absolute legend. Its beautiful. I was actually intending on playing classic this time anyways because I did oddity my first time through. But man, holy crap this is awesome. You were super thorough about everything too. I seriously cannot thank you enough for this it truly is what you said: (almost) exactly what im looking for. and honestly you might as well drop the almost, this looks great. Literally the only teeny nitpick I can make is that I did want to go Praetorian security this time around, so I probably will and if finding electronics really becomes a problem ill just use cheat engine to farm restocks from other merchants until I get what I need; even though I dont love doing that usually.

About the two different starting options I have, im not really sure but I suppose Ill go for the second one with 9 con because that will probably make the early game less painful.

Edit: I think ill go with a sort of middle ground between the two start options and get 5 Will and 7 Con

You're welcome man, I've actually made and played a similar build before but with hammers instead of machetes, so I just carried over the ideas from there. I feel yours is considerably stronger simply because Fancy Footwork+Flurry gives so much mobility. Here it is if you're interested:

https://underrail.info/build/?HgwGAwkDBwYAZwDCoAAAAFoAawDCgsKCWWVpAADCoAAAAGkkYi1fEisqLkUIYEsGVFV6fMK2bcKewp1s4p-EAeKitQLio5MF4qeCAuKrkAXfvw

I was thinking that you could replace Taste for Blood with Pyromaniac instead for the Fear effect, and take it earlier in Cheap Shots' slot (you would still take Cheap Shots later at level 18) so you have it at the end of or right after Depot A. Speaking from experience, it's actually really good for this kind of build, because you can toss a Pyrokinesis and get two free turns to do whatever you want.
Another thing, use Jumping Beans, that 10 MP bonus will help a lot to get close before Fancy Footwork is up. As for the belt, Lifting Belt is alright for the 5% mech damage reduction (stacks with Stoicism and Conditioning), but you might want Doctor's Pouch too for using lots of drugs quickly.
As for Praetorian Security, be aware its warehouse mission is among the hardest quests in the game (at least in Dominating but you're not ready for that yet, Hard must not be as ball busting), and only tungsten tincans or minmaxed dodgevasion builds can do it without cheesing. Constantine can offer you almost the same selection as Coretech if you merchant refresh enough, except for energy edges which won't be as high quality (Coretech can go as high as 140Q while Constantine is lower quality, I think 120Q max?).

looks good, I see what your trying to do and it works beautifully.  Taking juggernaut later gives a much more significant boost to hp than it does when you are low level, it works as one of those early game feats you can take later in the game that scale with your level.

Just one question though, why did you take taste for blood?  You were saying that weaponsmith would be a good pick and I agree with you, but why something that relies on bleed when you don't have any bleed equipment?

I was way up past my bedtime then so I probably didn't think it through. The idea was that when you inevitably miss and lose Onslaught stacks, you won't lose as much damage and can still do some stuff thanks to TfB. But there's already MT in the build to do something when Flurry is down, so... Yeah, just take Pyromaniac instead.

Good post but I disagree with a few things:

1. Only 10 strength (and having 8 for most of the game) will mean your flurry wouldn't be too accurate

2. Metathermics is kind of weak with only 7 will without either Psionic Mania for guaranteed critical pyrokinesis or Thermodynamicity for the reduced action point pyrokinetic stream

3. In my opinion Survival Instincts is not as good with swords as other builds since you might kill enemies in one hit making it harder to get flurry stacks, though it does have the pro of letting you demolish any boss that isn't immune to stun or root.

1. That is why I said this:

>Above all, these types of spread-out-stats builds need you to use every option available at times.

Nets, stingball grenades, and anything that can lower or negate dodge will be strong, and Str buffs will also help greatly when those are on cooldown (which there are many of; Adrenaline, food, etc. You can have as much as +9 Str if you have all the best possible buffs, and this kind of build can actually afford to use All In for that late game).

Edit: using All In for combat purposes can be pretty insane though, but even still, the second best food Str buff is +2 from Junkyard Surprise, compared to +3. And there's a couple SSDs to go around if you know where to look.

2. Yes, I am aware. I've played this same concept of MT metal armor and a melee weapon, but it was with hammers instead, and I was comfortably able to have Pyromaniac by level 10. That way, you can use fire spells as soft CC versus organics. Even if you don't take Pyromaniac, psi still has 50% crit chance under SI and Focus Stim. Also, there's the utility of Exothermic Aura, which cannot be overstated because TiChrome armor is very weak versus melee enemies (or rather, high mechanical damage in general, but with the added mobility in Fancy Footwork and other throwables and consumables, that can be softened).

3. Generally, you want the full 3 hits of Flurry twice so you max out the AP reduction, but after that, it's more preferable to one shot enemies so that 5% miss chance only has one third of the rolls per enemy. You can kind of influence that by popping Focus Stim after having Flurry maxed.

Edit: Didn't realize this would also make Fancy Footwork proc less too though. Depends on how much MP is available.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 03:13:21 pm by Drizzle »

ringring

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 01:38:28 am »
>Just one question though, why did you take taste for blood?  You were saying that weaponsmith would be a good pick and I agree with you, but why something that relies on bleed when you don't have any bleed equipment?

I was way up past my bedtime then so I probably didn't think it through. The idea was that when you inevitably miss and lose Onslaught stacks, you won't lose as much damage and can still do some stuff thanks to TfB. But there's already MT in the build to do something when Flurry is down, so... Yeah, just take Pyromaniac instead.

Bro.. uh.. do you know what Taste for Blood does?  Cause the only possible use you might have for it would be cryo orb or maybe nail bombs, machetes don't have bleed..

Drizzle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2021, 08:55:35 pm »
You still get a TfB stack by killing an NPC, as far as I know. But yeah, nail bombs and cryo orb synergize with it too

dddmemaybe

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 06:16:45 am »
It's a few weeks late but, I wanted to take a shot at this build.

I think firstly that because melee attacks roll for hit-chance, and metathermics mostly don't really, a lower WILL stat is more valuable for increasing STRENGTH overall. The only feat taken for will-7 is Stoicism, and it's a good boost to survivability, but, it's on a build that uses sword attacks. When they miss, you cry and lose your flurry-combo, which really sucks.

Level 1: https://underrail.info/build/?AQcGBwcDBAYAAAAPDwAAAAAAAA8PAA8PAAAPAAAADzkk378

Level: 16: https://underrail.info/build/?EAsGBwcDBAYARgBaKAAAAAAAAFpaHkFaAABaAAAAQTkkK1XCjCoTRT1LAN-_

Thermodynamicity with Premeditation allows you to weave in 2-x cheap psi spells to allow ap room to keep up the sword attacks. Idk why Sprint wouldn't be first feat taken since your armor penalty is ignored for it. You don't need expose weakness for robots since your heavy armor means they tickle you back; once you get energy-boost on the sword they just melt into canned re-fried beans. Also, you probably don't need conditioning too much ngl... Biology 80 is a must for Bullhead spam to auto-counter the awful mental-boom-bastards. If you can craft and have high mercantile, probably can survive with ok money without pickpocket on Hard. Especially with high str for carry capacity, and expending less currency early on compared to ranged characters. Make sure to give Jonas a bad deal xdd.

Level 30: https://underrail.info/build/?Hg0GBwcDBAYAZQDCoCgAAAAAAAB4eB5teABGwqAAAMKgWjkkK1XCjCoTRT1LAAZQRMKNwrZ8wrjipbIF4qa4A-KyiAXisokC378

If the game is too Hard, maybe throw in some Temporal Contraction instead somewhere?? why not, it's good xd
I threw in Yell/Intimidate as our strength score starts to get pretty good. Really high critical boosts here, and peak medicine potential for Bullheads, Regenerative Mixtures and Supersoldier Drugs. Make sure to eat rathound barbeques of course. Fast Metabolism gives us extra psi on boosters but also boosts regenerative mixtures, regen vests and hypos as well.

Thermodynamicity (65% ap reduction spec points) with 2-ap Psi-booster from doctor's pouch will be a godsend when they lock you down with throwing nets, acid, ect. You could swap out premeditation(level 6) with it instead but I can't decide.

Oh yea, and snarf literally every no-badside drug like all the time that you can later on. Aegis + Focus Stim will make you into a monster. And maybe use a lot of (poisoned?) caltrops in Depo-A?? It might be your only hope.