Author Topic: Sleeping, a better way of resetting shops and spawns  (Read 1204 times)

HellraiserJamie

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Sleeping, a better way of resetting shops and spawns
« on: January 18, 2022, 02:44:07 pm »
I think we can all agree that pointless waiting is the worst. Whether you're twiddling your thumbs until huntable critters to respawn or wasting time outside of town until shops restock their inventory, standing around until an arbitrary clock ticks down slows the game to a crawl. Imagine you've just gotten back from hunting or exploring and, despite your best efforts, you still couldn't find that one item you need that would compliment your build or prepare you for your next encounter. What do you do? Your only option currently is to find a secluded spot, crank the time to 4x, and then stand around for 30 minutes in real time until that unseen timer ticks down slowly... that certainly seems unintuitive. So what if I told you that there's an easy way of fixing this issue, something you've likely walked by a hundred times without ever considering how useful it could be? I am of course talking about the humble bed! Imagine how helpful it would be if you could go back to your place, climb into bed, and then get some much needed shuteye to sleep through all that unnecessary waiting!

The idea at it's core is incredibly simple: instead of forcing players to wait for spawns/shops to reset give us the option to sleep in beds/bedrolls and reset them manually, there are already details/mechanics in UnderRail that would work perfectly with this idea! 1.) When you ask Pasquale for healing in SGS the screen goes black and cuts forward to after the healing is done and 2.) when you turn in a quest to a shopkeeper their inventory and buying table resets automatically!

It would go a little something like this: a player walks up to a bed, clicks on it to use it, the screen goes black and triggers an autosave, then once the screen fades back to normal you get a little message saying "Time has passed" with shops and spawns now reset manually. This would not upset the balance of the game in any way as it's it's something you can already do via waiting, this suggestion would just remove that unnecessary waiting.

Please consider this suggestion, I genuinely think the UnderRail would benefit from it.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping, a better way of resetting shops and spawns
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 03:54:05 pm »
To counterbalance this; some quests that ought to be time sensitive (but aren't) can be failed if you rest too many times before finishing them.
*eurobeat intensifies*

HellraiserJamie

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 04:45:38 pm »
To counterbalance this; some quests that ought to be time sensitive (but aren't) can be failed if you rest too many times before finishing them.
I like the idea but I think that would actually take a little too much work because you'd have to adjust a lot of quests to make it compatible, where as certain conditions resetting spawns and shop inventories is already a mechanic present in game.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 04:54:19 pm »
The final update is around the corner; they aren't going to implement stuff like this on such a short notice, so we're talking Infusion.  Styg already made timed quests for expedition, so we can expect them in infusion.
*eurobeat intensifies*

HellraiserJamie

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 05:00:27 pm »
Oh, I wasn't aware of that! In that case having it affect timed quests would come with the territory of having a time reset mechanic like this. I know it's ridiculously unlikely but I am going to hold out hope they see this and maybe something similar to it gets added, shops never seem to have an item when you're looking for it and this would cut down the wait between trips.