Author Topic: Want to mix PSI and guns  (Read 3173 times)

Litherian

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Want to mix PSI and guns
« on: February 20, 2022, 05:48:04 pm »
What exactly do I have to do to make a decent PSI gun build or should I only go pure PSI?

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Want to mix PSI and guns
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 09:21:40 am »
Really depends what psi school you want to use. Maybe also depends on the gun you want to use.

1) If your idea of psi gun build is buffing yourself go temporal. You can keep will at 3. Level temoporal to 70. Best abilities don't really scale with skill.
2) Psychokinesis is probably best school for hybrids. Dump will to 3. Level psychokinesis to max. You really can go wrong with it.
3) Metathermics is hard. It's all about damage. Meaning you need will. You can go 10 will and take psychosis and psionic mania. Craft a crit boosting headband. You can have a big blast once or twice in a fight.
4) Thought control is decent in theory. A lot of control and enrage is amazing. But i always find myself using my weapon more. At some point it's easier to just kill people than control them. Was were helpful early game though. Don't recommend it, but if you really want to go the same way a metathemics. 10 will psychosis and mania. Get locus of control.

DieGo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 08:20:34 pm »
You can find synergies or aspects where guns and psi complement each other's weaknesses. Or use psi like utilities e.g. grenades, crowd control, buffs/debuffs. A classic example is the metathermics sniper. This follows a known great synergy between sniper's big single target damage and MT's great AoE/CC capabilities. The ability Thermodynamic Destabilization is an AoE that scales with the amount of damage you can do to a single target (without cold abilities), and the feat Cryogenic Induction works better the more damage you can put into a single attack.

In retrospect, this build didn't really need TM but with RR spearhead costing 26 AP that means 5 sniper shots and however many MT spells you can cast for the remaining 7 AP. Ideally that would be destab for 5 AP, psi booster for 2 AP, and premed cryostasis for most scenarios. In case RR gives you its blessing of 10-20 AP you have much more room to work with, but with only 10% proc chance per shot you can't rely on it.

redgoesfastfastfastfast

• Scavenger
  • Strike em quick, lightning fast.
    • View Profile
    • https://bitbucket.org/N1MH/starsector-mods/downloads/
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 05:37:46 am »
If you want a thought control sniper (very fun build and powerful to boot) from 2021 reply to this comment.

EDIT: Woops didnt notice post date.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 05:42:02 am by xnmh »
Im working on maknig a guide for new players on DOMINATING. Help needed. Do not PM me.