Poll

Will requirement for Future Orientation and Psycho-Temporal Acceleration?

Yes.
No.

Author Topic: Add a will requirement for Temporal Manipulation feats.  (Read 1381 times)

mex

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Add a will requirement for Temporal Manipulation feats.
« on: March 06, 2022, 01:49:02 pm »
As it stands, you can just dump 60 points in TM and have infinite contraction due to PTA and FO with zero stat investment in will.

I think TM is more than powerful enough to warrant at least a 7 will requriment for Future Orientation, especially when you take into account that Loc, Force user, and Telekinetic undulation all have will requirments, it's more than reasonable to do the same for PTA and FO.

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Add a will requirement for Temporal Manipulation feats.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 06:19:45 pm »
Amen to that. Additionally, I think LTI should cause buffs/debuffs to reduce duration (ie bleeds proc, adrenaline loses a turn of duration), and contraction scales with TM skill so that you only get the 15 ap boost and 30mp boost at 160 tm skill.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 07:01:30 pm »
Ive already suggested that contraction be a feat that requires 7 will and lets you cast dilation on yourself for the opposite benefit.
*eurobeat intensifies*

PositiveBuff

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 02:48:44 am »
... dump 60 points in TM and have infinite contraction due to PTA and FO...
I think you cant have infinite contraction without Stasis. And the actual effect of PtC + LTI are not powerful due to their high psi cost and PtC's reversing mechanism.

------

PtC has 3 turns duration and 5 turns cooldown with PtA and FO. FTI has 2 turns cooldown with FO.

Lets say you cast PtC at 1st turn, then you will lose contraction buff at the end of 3rd turn. If you always cast LTI whenever you can (at 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, ... turn), then you can cast PtC at 4th/7th turn, and lose contraction buff at the end of 6th/9th turn.

The problem is 10th turn, PtC still has 1 turn cooldown but you already lose contraction buff.

------

And the actual average AP/Turn in this 10 turns is not as high as 20 AP/Turn.

Every end of contraction buff will trigger a random roll (60% chance with 60 TM) that may gives yourself a PtD debuff, and its power (AP and MP) is slightly weaker than your PtA's power but has a longer duration.

Another problem is psi cost. 3 PtC and 5 LTI cost 3*50 + 5*35 = 325 psi points. So you need at least 3 psi boosters (100+75*3 = 325), and that means 30 AP.

Expect Average AP/Turn = (20*3*3 - 60%*20*(3*2+1) -  10*3) / 10 = (180-84-30) / 10 = 6.6

And this 6.6 AP/Turn cost 2 feats, 60 skill points, a lot of psi boosters and 2 psi slots.

KnifegaF

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 03:04:03 am »
... dump 60 points in TM and have infinite contraction due to PTA and FO...
I think you cant have infinite contraction without Stasis. And the actual effect of PtC + LTI are not powerful due to their high psi cost and PtC's reversing mechanism.

------

PtC has 3 turns duration and 5 turns cooldown with PtA and FO. FTI has 2 turns cooldown with FO.

Lets say you cast PtC at 1st turn, then you will lose contraction buff at the end of 3rd turn. If you always cast LTI whenever you can (at 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, ... turn), then you can cast PtC at 4th/7th turn, and lose contraction buff at the end of 6th/9th turn.

The problem is 10th turn, PtC still has 1 turn cooldown but you already lose contraction buff.

------

And the actual average AP/Turn in this 10 turns is not as high as 20 AP/Turn.

Every end of contraction buff will trigger a random roll (60% chance with 60 TM) that may gives yourself a PtD debuff, and its power (AP and MP) is slightly weaker than your PtA's power but has a longer duration.

Another problem is psi cost. 3 PtC and 5 LTI cost 3*50 + 5*35 = 325 psi points. So you need at least 3 psi boosters (100+75*3 = 325), and that means 30 AP.

Expect Average AP/Turn = (20*3*3 - 60%*20*(3*2+1) -  10*3) / 10 = (180-84-30) / 10 = 6.6

And this 6.6 AP/Turn cost 2 feats, 60 skill points, a lot of psi boosters and 2 psi slots.

Even if we pretend headbands and tranquility aren’t a thing your numbers are still off. The prominence of 3 will TM speaks for itself.

Edit: I did forget that Mex didn’t include stasis in the post which is always dumb to me since it gives you so much for so little. Even without it many builds will only need two cycles of contraction
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 03:24:09 am by KnifegaF »

mex

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 07:42:06 am »
Edit: I did forget that Mex didn’t include stasis in the post which is always dumb to me since it gives you so much for so little. Even without it many builds will only need two cycles of contraction

I didn't include it because talking about how broken stasis is would give me an aneurysm.

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 04:38:33 pm »
TM is in general too cheesy. At the very least Stasis needs to scale as well. Precog needs to be changed so it is useful even if you do not max Dodge/Evasion which are both lackluster skills.

Barry

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 10:34:10 pm »
If TM stops being a freezy breezy hybrid squeezy school then it definitely needs a lot more buffs to make it worth investing. Properly built for it can do devastating damage but some of its abilities suck and it has no area of effect option unless you count Continuum Ripple, which is a weak feat. Not to mention that Stasis works the same on the enemies as it does on you AKA expires on the start of their turn.