Author Topic: Heavy weapons and modular armor  (Read 2019 times)

deanisi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Heavy weapons and modular armor
« on: June 03, 2022, 11:52:33 am »
I don't know what Styg's opinion about these things, but personally I love to RP as heavy machine gunners, and seeing new armor and equipment system makes me think about how many new mechanics can be implemented, especially when heavy weapon come in equation.
Most intresting idea is modular parts, like different mods for different armor parts which can enchance weapon capabilities, for example  installing ammo belts in torso part of metal armor, which will remove need for reloading but also will make armor much heavier and less protective because some plates were replaced by ammo belts. Or pretty much the same thing for rpgs and flamthrowers but also if torso armor get damaged enough or when attacked by special skill, fuel will spill out and rockets will explode.

Another examples I have are:

Reactive armors -- armor for meatallic/heavy aromr that can protect the wearer and damage attackers. Reactive tank armor that negates damage that deals quite big % of weares hp and deals heat/mechanical damage to melee attacker but destroys armor by a set amount. Tesla armor which deals damage around user but pretty heavy and flimsy compared to regular one.

Alternative to ractive armor, additional layer for elemental protection -- like hazmat/fireproof suit which defense relative to armor integrity. Or little shields for arms and legs for additional protection (basically adding more metal plates while crafting hand/leg armor).

Exotic upgrades like exo skeleton that makes armor weight less and makes burst fire more accurated when it's powered. Or sytems which can get rid of debuffs like being on fire or acid (aka built in extinguisher/shower). Or system that allows to use 1 drug without using any AP. Drawbacks are increased weight, decreased integrity and need to be powered.

I can go on and on about this, but I more interested in your opinion guys. What ideas you have about new armor system and what do you think about adding heavy weapons?

Crows

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy weapons and modular armor
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 03:05:45 pm »
Even just within Underrail's existing crafting system, I think adding a variety of build-specific or non-defensive optional components would be pretty neat! Maybe it shouldn't be as powerful as a dedicated belt, but something like adding a "bandolier" component (instead of an armor plate) to reduce reloading by 5AP would be an interesting tradeoff. I think we've seen some of that design idea with items like the Unprojector and Cyclop's Eye, and I hope we get more. I also wouldn't mind if we could add/remove certain components post-crafting without the Disassemble feat - specifically the cloth on armor suits.

I think heavy weapons would definitely require some consideration about how to implement, since their high power is usually paired with downsides - equipment is heavy, ammo is rare/expensive, etc. - that would make them really tough to use in Underrail.

deanisi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 05:38:05 am »
I think heavy weapons would definitely require some consideration about how to implement, since their high power is usually paired with downsides - equipment is heavy, ammo is rare/expensive, etc. - that would make them really tough to use in Underrail.

That's the point of heavy weapons, they're LOUD and POWERFUL, but a very heavy and costly, as one wise russian said "It costs 400,000$ to fire this weapon for 12 seconds". Or in RPG case, you basically have a sniper rifle that shoot very powerful grenades.

About your idea of removable components, it's sounds awesome and probably not so hard to implement, it can be done by adding mini-inventory for some armor and by adding there specific items you can change stats or add new skills/passives. It irked me a little when you couldn't just replace armor plates of your tactical vest.

I guess my idea of mods can be too op for this game, I just really like how modular kerberos squad armor is. Their armor not only have rebreathers an NV, but also have a backpack that stores radio equipment, oxygen tanks and ammo belts for their machine guns.

And I thought about how new mechanics can make this work. If armor and weapon mods get expanded and enchanced then there will be new engieneering direction for builds that can replace psi or compensate for weak weapon skills.

My problem with psi is that I don't want to use it on weapon oriented characters and try to replace it with craft, but psi is too effective and resources/exp cheap to pass it, and with buffed craft system I can replace psi with it and still have a quite viable build. But I'm pretty sure that Styg's gonna rework most of psi.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 05:55:34 am by deanisi »

Amannamedsquid

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 01:56:34 am »
Well, regarding heavy weapons, your wish has been granted.