Author Topic: Dev Log #6: New Environment Renderer  (Read 8717 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #6: New Environment Renderer
« on: December 06, 2022, 09:38:08 pm »
Hi guys,

We're finally ready to give you a sneak peak in the new and improved Infusion environment visuals. We've done extensive work on the 2D rendering engine, and while there are still things to improve, we're quite pleased how it looks now. Keep in mind, though, that all the scenes you'll see below were made for demo purposes only and do not reflect how the actual game levels will look.

(enlarge image 1) (enlarge image 2)

First thing we did is increasing the asset resolution significantly. We increased the size of the base tile from 96x48 to 160x80, which resulted in the asset size change you can see below.

Next, for all our prerendered graphics we're also exporting normal and height maps, which allows us to have smoother lighting, but, more importantly, it enables objects to clip through each other. This solves so many problems with sprite ordering and also allows us to easily combine items into interesting environmental compositions.

(enlarge image)

Another important thing that we introduced is actual tile height and sloping, so we no longer have to simulate it with assets that are otherwise logically flat - which used to result in weird discovery and lighting artifacts. This will allow us create more interesting maps, as well as have gameplay mechanics that relate to height (such as falling down, climbing, in-area elevators, etc). We're also going to have to adjust many existing mechanics to take elevation into account, but that's a story for another dev log.

(enlarge image 1) (enlarge image 2)

We've also improved how shroud and fog of war works. It's now much smoother and will no longer leave weird gaps in the map while it's partially discovered as often happens in the old game.

There's still much work to be done with the rendering engine - fluids, decals, creature shadows, post-processing effects, and also many minor tweaks, so stay tuned for more updates. Once we get a bit more assets done, we're going to make a video to show you how the engine looks in motion. In the meantime, let us know how you like the new visuals.

Cheers.

Arclight

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #6: New Environment Renderer
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 11:32:34 pm »
Bravo! How hard was the coding for this? All new routines, or,  mods to existing code-sets?

Not to pry out secrets, but what language\API are you using for this? Home- grown?

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 01:04:27 am »
The models still look kinda goofy, but the environments look top-notch; can't wait to go scavenging in them.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 08:39:51 am »
Bravo! How hard was the coding for this? All new routines, or,  mods to existing code-sets?

Not to pry out secrets, but what language\API are you using for this? Home- grown?

It's a custom engine written in C# on top on Monogame framework.

When all is said and done, the 2D renderer was effectively written from scratch. I don't think there's much of the old code left in the rendering pipeline.

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 11:33:00 am »
I see you are elevating the franchise to another level

*snort*

Amannamedsquid

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 04:30:14 pm »
Looking great so far. Can't wait to get stung into a stupor by Crawlers again!

Vagabond

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 10:14:01 pm »
I like it. My only critique is of the two things: models & lighting, and characters. If any of it can be attributed to it being a "quick demo", i.e. quickly done without the super polish and attention to details, then ignore what I wrote.

The models & lighting, such as crates and cement(?) goop on the floor look like models put into the world, instead of having a natural feel. Maybe it's because they don't have a cast shadow coming from and onto them in the environment? For example in the Metal Armor screenshot, behind the man's back, the cement should have a shadow being cast onto it coming from the wall, same thing actually for the floor nearby.

As for the characters, will there be Anti-Aliasing? While it's obvious all characters will have improved lighting, I can't say the same about the jitterness of the models, with how smooth the environment looks, they stick out by sheer quality difference alone. When they were previously shown, they were against a black background, so it was hard to judge how well they would look in-game.

That all being said, considering how drastic Underrail looks between it's beta and final versions, and the noticeable increase in quality between the base game and DLC, I can safely assume the final product would look way better.

Existchim

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 05:49:33 am »
Damn that looks great! Can't wait for the game Styg!

aofangs

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 01:25:42 am »
I like the progress you're team is doing its pretty good the amount of dedication you've put into. Like some have said the characters look a bit out of place or need some anti aliasing potentially (metal armor especially.) As you said though this isn't the final version so that's fine, but to me looking at the first NPC/player model has vibes out of the game Shadowrun returns and how the characters look in the world. Again this isn't a bad thing just a mere observation, good luck with your endeavors, the community will wait patiently for this project.
Conquer yourself, so no one else can.

Researcher

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2022, 02:13:10 pm »
I have read the story of the game, you are working on this game from 2008!!!!!, 14 years working on one game, it is so amazing, you are the best game developer STYG, such a dedication for the work, you know what is my wish, that you will not finish the game till the end, but it will be like long term project, for 10 or 20 years, this game is like child, who is growing up all the best, and cannot wait for new release, when we can play project infusion, what is your plan.

Bulbasaurus

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 10:57:08 pm »
So no pixel art style?
PS: three-inputs captcha feels annoying.

Planet-X

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 05:29:11 pm »
 So Styg, big fan over here!
One question.
 when does it come out? because my firstborn is on the way, and when it arrives my life is over and then I won't have any time to play.

apollounderrail

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 01:52:01 am »
The height really does add a whole new dimension to the atmosphere (and I'm sure somewhat affects mechanics as you've alluded to). Gorgeous graphics. Also love how you're showing sight with the shaded black bars - doing darkness alone would be confusing and not look great.