Author Topic: Why exactly 95% accuracy cap is a thing?  (Read 7802 times)

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Why exactly 95% accuracy cap is a thing?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 10:34:40 pm »
I'm using this ability (electrokinesis) a lot and I never see a failed stun as long as damage were done. Same with electronic imprint.

It can (and often do) fail against shielded targets. In this case, no stun.

It could also fail if the target somehow have very high electrical armor, but appart from coil spider and some six finger cyborg, I do not know if there is any way to have that high electrical damage threshold. Even for the player character.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:40:03 pm by Quidam Craft »

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 06:58:29 am »
Accuracy cap on weapons is something i wouldn't     ...     miss. (sorry, i couldn't resist)

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 02:17:40 pm »
but there are exceptions like taser (fortitude save)

Really, one can resist a taser shock stun ? Do you have any idea why there is this exception for taser, only ?
I nderstand the no stun from the electro 5mm bullets as it's intended to only be a damage bonus, but for the taser I do not get the idea why it should be the only exception ?

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 05:04:53 pm »
I think it is very sensible from a gameplay perspective to have a fortitude check against taser stun.

If the taser was a 100% foolproof way of stunning someone at close range it would be invaluable. You could include a taser in almost any build as either an offensive tool or a defensive failsafe, with no risk at all. The small element of risk is good.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 12:24:24 pm »
Tasers being resistable always made sense to me, their AP cost and investment are very low, all you need is a tiny amount of electronics skill and some battery power... you don't have to be a psionic or use a feat slot on Dirty Kick. (still think that Dirty Kick could use a small boost but eh)

Cryostasis isn't exactly a lifesaver btw, don't forget it has no effect on robots, or at least I've never seen it work even on sentry bots, which have less than 100% cold resist.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 01:54:15 pm »
Tasers being resistable always made sense to me, their AP cost and investment are very low, all you need is a tiny amount of electronics skill and some battery power... you don't have to be a psionic or use a feat slot on Dirty Kick. (still think that Dirty Kick could use a small boost but eh)

Cryostasis isn't exactly a lifesaver btw, don't forget it has no effect on robots, or at least I've never seen it work even on sentry bots, which have less than 100% cold resist.
Last time I played cryostasis was freezing plasma walkers for 1 turn.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 05:47:09 pm »

Always failed when I tried it, maybe the presence of Cryogenic Induction or stacks of Chilled has something to do with it?

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 05:53:01 pm »

Always failed when I tried it, maybe the presence of Cryogenic Induction or stacks of Chilled has something to do with it?
Nope. I was just freezing that plasma walker in Elwood's house on the spot.

kpoxo6op

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 10:40:40 pm »
when I miss 95% change I rage and reload the game

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 02:59:00 pm »
Right now I play a Sniper. The hit % of Snipe is usually in the 80-95% range. It is cool. I aim to hit, but always have a backup plan for misses. No reloads. Plan where to retreat for the next shots, where to place strategic bear traps before combat. Open vents to have alternate escape routes. Have a taser or quick tinkered trap ready for emergencies. Use sound to lure enemies out into advantageous environment. Etc etc...

I think this is fun, personal opinion. I totally respect other views. The element of risk adds something good. 100% hit chance for a sniper rifle would mean you could always know you delete one enemy of choice, no risk. It would be nice, but knowing you miss 1/20 times means you got to have a plan, a way out. Good times.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 03:48:21 pm »
Right now I play a Sniper. The hit % of Snipe is usually in the 80-95% range. It is cool. I aim to hit, but always have a backup plan for misses. No reloads.
What difficulty are you playing at?

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 04:28:48 pm »
Hard, oddity.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 11:45:57 am »
Hard, oddity.
I've tried similar build on dominating, and those misses on initial 95% shot really bite.
But, honestly, it's more a question of very obvious discrepancy between psionics (that are auto-hit) and all projectile weapons (that always retain 5% miss chance).
Feels like playing as a psion is simply an easy mode, period.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:47:44 am by Tamior »

Malbon

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 12:40:42 pm »
Playing as psion indeed feels great. Call it easy mode if you want. I love it. haha