Author Topic: So what improvements would benefit Underrail 2?  (Read 13314 times)

Ravager

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: So what improvements would benefit Underrail 2?
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2019, 11:31:03 pm »
Thanks for the great suggestions.

I agree with the comments about death animations. Given Underrail's inspiration in the Fallout series, the need to indicate "critical hits," and the theme of body horror, it seems amiss that there are no death animations.

I think for the purpose of indicating critical hits, you really want to reward the player if their build is succeeding, by giving them a visceral result. Especially with all that toxic waste lying around, I wonder why some people aren't melting / mutating like in Robocop  ;D

But I understand that these animations would occupy development time. They'd have to create multiple animations for each character type, and there are a number of unique characters, I think. The poor animators would be kept busy.

Riggs

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2019, 05:45:05 am »
This is something I'm quite puzzled by and I searched the forums and didn't come up with anything so here goes:

Muzzleflashes? Where are they? For a game with such an enormous amount of gunplay I would think they would be included in some capacity. I know Styg has said it was never his intention to go for realism in UR and I respect that, but it breaks my immersion when engaged in a large scale firefight to never see any muzzleflashes whatsoever. I'm not expecting things to look like a John Wick movie, but witnessing (tens of) thousands of total rounds fired over my playthrough(s) without a single flash occurring is just sorta weird. I'd love to see them included in the sequel. Aesthetics matter a lot in role playing games, at least to me. Thoughts?
You might get this sooner than you think.
This... this pleases me greatly, Godman.

Maliel

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2019, 02:32:57 pm »
Lots of great suggestions here, but personally the only thing that I'd love to have is the ability to customize your playermodel, not just your portrait. I know it would take a hell of a lot of time due to the way how animations work in the game, but it would still be a nice feature to have.

I would love more char customization, but in a sprite based game that would involve reworking every single animation sprite for every possible char armor model, but maybe if the next game is in 3d that would be feasible, btw if we get enough sequels at some point we will have an underrail fps this is almost certain

brobotics

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2019, 03:55:56 pm »
Lots of great suggestions here, but personally the only thing that I'd love to have is the ability to customize your playermodel, not just your portrait. I know it would take a hell of a lot of time due to the way how animations work in the game, but it would still be a nice feature to have.

I would love more char customization, but in a sprite based game that would involve reworking every single animation sprite for every possible char armor model, but maybe if the next game is in 3d that would be feasible, btw if we get enough sequels at some point we will have an underrail fps this is almost certain

isnt there some freaky lore reasoning to explain the single character model being an average-looking pale guy? something about the one who infiltrated the Faceless being entirely unremarkable

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2019, 10:34:03 pm »
A lot of great suggestions in this thread. I agree that there needs to be more ways to solve a lot of the mid- and late-game quests, especially those in the Expansion. I would say the base-game was pretty good about having at least 2 ways to solve most of the quests in the game, but with the Expansion there's usually only one way to solve every single one of the quests, and that kinda sucks. The quest with the Sormibaeren in particular is very... well... lame. It's really lame that the only solution is to massacre them, especially when your interaction with Yngwar demonstrates that at least some of them are intelligent. It just seems like there is a lot of lost potential there. I know it's a small team, and I know we already got a lot more than we really had any right to at all, given the price-point, but what if it was just a simple Persuasion/Intimidate check? Or another quest you could do for them? It wouldn't have to be this whole new saga to the game, but having a little bit more in the way of some decision-making would add a lot to an already incredible expansion. This is by far the biggest change I would make.

Otherwise, the only other suggestion I have would be to improve Jack Quicksilver's quest-line so that you don't have to look everything up on the wiki and perform "optimally" in order to get into Oculus. Especially given that having access to Oculus gives you a massive advantage regarding certain shadowy aspects of the expansion. (Also, more Oculus quests please. Thank you!)

Oh, and of course, for the journey to North Underrail, there needs to be a dialogue option to punch and/or shoot Tanner in the face. Just punch him straight in the face. Even with 3 DEX and no melee you should be able to just smash your fist and/or gun into his face for maximal heroic catharsis. ("This one's for Lora!" *whack*)

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2019, 04:52:05 pm »
I think you would break your fist, because he is like Six, and he got a metal face.

-Azura
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

zion563

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2019, 12:23:35 am »
Filter by weight and worth-tired of hovering-a lot of the game is staring at inventory anyway

Ravager

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2019, 12:16:13 am »
Great thread, everyone. Maybe it's run its course, maybe not.

It looks as if Underrail 2 / North Underrail is a strong contender for the next DLC, or it's in the works at some point.

Styg probably has the main campaign and story largely mapped out. So I just have some suggestions about the theme or gameplay.

North Underrail probably isn't all Rathounds and Crawlers like so much of South Underrail and it's caverns. It's said to be more built-up, upscale, advanced, etc...

So a number of people thinking about this have come to the same conclusion: maybe a lot of the quests would focus on intrigue. There's different, powerful factions there. If your character is potentially coming from Level 25+ (potentially), it's unrealistic to combat a bunch of trash mobs. And there may be fewer low-level baddies there anyway.

But the Protectorate, the corporations of Hexagon, Dis, the Free Drones are likely there. And they all have clashing, competing interests. The game, as stated earlier, could focus more on investigation. Finding out who is worth supporting, and putting your weight there. Fewer, but more critical combats, with more sophisticated enemies, punctuating what we learn in the storyline. More hidden boxes, secret passages, sewer entrances, hacking computer logs, intelligent robots, careful conversations with people and AIs. Silent assassinations. Disabling critical systems so that your allies can attack (which you can participate in).

Of course, there'd still be lots of room for gang fights, like we had with Gorsky's Zone Rats. I'm thinking a more cyberpunk / Zaibatsu situations. And with the corporate espionage, more sneaking / shooting through horrible back-areas to get there. And there's still be slums or run-down areas, muggers, and so on. Restoring old industry, having to clear out the areas of newer, higher-order monsters. Finding incriminating logs from Biocorp, etc...

And that gets me to a major thematic element. In Underrail, you are a puppet, first of Tanner, and then basically Six, or at least your situation in the DC. It wouldn't surprise me if you became somebody's puppet again in North Underrail, either a faction,* Six, or both. Sure, you get to do something satisfying, like punching Tanner in the face, but there are bigger fish to fry there.

But what if you could get loose from your master? But that's not an official part of the main quest, or quest sections involving these puppet masters. Instead, if you read the clues, read the hidden logs no-one knows about, you can find ways to escape your bondage. And become a free agent, or whatever? What I am saying is, an observant player could break away from certain 'mandatory' quests to pursue their own (or SGS) interests. Just as an 'answer' to a thematic element of Underrail.

Anyway, those are my ideas. I think there's space for greater intrigue and faction-choosing in North Underrail, where interpersonal skills could become a lot more important. And the vents... maybe someone should tell your character, "Here in North Underrail, vents aren't neglected as much." They're part of critical high-quality air purification, and people are watching them / in them. There would be quests to sabotage / repair them. Maybe a large part of the game would be like the Core City quests, but deeper.

* Speaking of factions, there are always consequences. Joining Oculus is very rewarding, and there are no downsides. But what if they start putting the screws to you in North Underrail, demanding you go on quests for them? Sure, they'll reward you, and you're their "friend," but if you refuse they will try to off you. Like that sword guy at the end of Expedition.

The same applies to the Protectorate and the Free Drones. Right now, there's not much advantages to my characters being neutral (even though that is often what they choose), but what if that allows you to go to more places in North Underrail, that would be barred to 'partisan' characters?

Ravager

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2019, 12:33:24 am »
One other thing. I don't think we'd want to lose the casual encounters you get from walking all over Underrail. So, maybe there are Lower Underrail / Upper Underrail roads, walkways, and underpassages along the rail line. Or below it. And they're not policed. We wouldn't want to lose that anarchy.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a whole, blocked-off abandoned section of rail that's full of monsters.

I guess Styg will manufacture some kind of crisis that hits North Underrail, like the Faceless hit South Underrail, in order to create the general situation of anarchy where bandits and critters roam free. The dainty, pampered technicians and businesspeople of North Underrail are going to need your help to remove unsightly scorpions from their apartment lobby!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:38:19 am by Ravager »

Maliel

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2019, 06:34:57 pm »
And how about removing the recipes from the feat list and instead adding them to the game in the form of quest adquired feats? if it makes the game too easy then make them hard and or expensive to get