Author Topic: NOOB - Advice on LMG Tin Can  (Read 3115 times)

Sarmenti

• Noob
    • View Profile
NOOB - Advice on LMG Tin Can
« on: November 05, 2023, 08:05:06 pm »
So, I've completed a playthrough using a stealthy TM shotgunner, really really strong! So i felt like trying my hand at making my own build, basing it on the excellent "Ultimate hammer guide" by Hammer Wizard (https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=5358.0)

Essentially, i'm planning on doing Heavy Guns with psychokinesis and 55 TM for PTC, with the most amount of armor penalty possible for Heavy Metal.

Starting stats would be:

Strength - 10 (for heavy metal and heavier LMG's)
Dex - 3
Agi - 3
Constitution - 7
Perception - 6 (for suppresive fire)
Will - 6 (For psychokinesis and such)
Intelligence - 5

My main question would be if these stats make sense, seeing as the builder website still isn't updated with HD, I don't have a point for poing planning for the buildd, but I assume it'll be mostly similar perks to a burst fire AR build.
Additionally, what base ability points should i add on level ups? Thinking of 2 on int for crafting perks, but beyond that, no idea.
Lmk if i've missed any crucial info, and thank you for your time!

VidMasterEon

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: NOOB - Advice on LMG Tin Can
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 06:50:39 pm »
Put an extra point into will so you can get stoicism
That goes well with gunners high to keep you alive in prolonged firefights

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 09:40:55 am »
Your biggest problem would be lack of mobility. I would go for 7 Agi as early as possible and pick Sprint + Hit and Run (the latter works even for characters with max armor penalty but only when sprint or Psychotemporal Acceleration is up)

Hammer

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 08:22:33 pm »
Personally, I think Brute Aim is incredible, so you may want to consider grabbing one more point in STR, if that fits what you're looking for.

I'm a huge fan of how the possibilities open up with Brute Aim + Versatility, since Versatility works off effective skill. Corporeal Projection with the extra STR and things like being at 9 STR if Crippled keeping you level with Tungsten's/Ratchet's STR reqs are just bonuses.

If you've got a feat to give, check Brute Aim out.

peet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 01:07:27 am »
Why bother with 5 intelligence?

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 04:17:33 am »
He mentioned crafting, even considering getting crafting perks. All crafting skills are Int-based.
our lifestyles, mores, institutions, patterns of interaction, values, and expectations are shaped by a cultural heritage that was formed in a time when carrying capacity exceeded the human load. (c) William R. Catton, Jr

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 09:34:16 am »
Hello, is there already a sort a consensus on what would be the best route on this type of build ? The crit one (with SI, critical power, Recklessness, Scrutinous and high perception) or the survival one (lower per for con/will and surviving feats instead)?

Krigor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 08:36:27 pm »
Hello, is there already a sort a consensus on what would be the best route on this type of build ? The crit one (with SI, critical power, Recklessness, Scrutinous and high perception) or the survival one (lower per for con/will and surviving feats instead)?
The crit one will ALWAYS do more damage but has 0 survivability(aka savescum build) and on Domination difficulty is really hard to not have your core damaging ability maxed out(enemy's evasion/dodge is a b8), so there is no "Reduce your Per so you can have Con" kinda of build.
WHOEVER, Brute Aim(+3 to Per) does open some doors, if you want to use it.

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 12:33:33 pm »
Having now more experience on LMGs.

SI is not very playable on an LMG Dominating game... With Heavy Metal, you are tied to zero mobility (Except from TM or jumping bean if you can squeeze it prefight) and you cannot avoid being hit. 30% health is too low for the difficult fights where you would need this extra damage.

On the other hand, I found Recklessness +  Scrutinous an interesting addition on Dominating difficulties (it is probably overkill on hard or lower) as you could reach 30+% crit chance with Focus Stim. It often means a trade off from 2 survival feats...

Brute Aim is a must have on any LMG build. It cost a feat but you get the same than if it was invested on Per (so you can use Tungsten and bigger guns than a Ratchet).
The combo with Brute aim: Full auto, concentrated fire, mag dump, heavy metal is crazy efficient.

Evasion is not that impacting, even with 10% hit chance, you will kill enemies especially when they are grouped with 16 bullets of a Ratchet. Otherwise, there is barrel compensator that has a huge impact on accuracy or N60 that is a bit better than a muzzled ergonomic one (and Ambush as well that goes usually well with lmg).

I agree that the stats to dump on a LMG is Will and Int in favor of Con and Per. Then, you can have high Con and high Per.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 02:47:44 pm by Sat »