Author Topic: Raising maximum hit chance to 98%  (Read 2164 times)

Benjibibi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Raising maximum hit chance to 98%
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:52:18 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying dominating difficulty with some new build, a low AP melee build actually and the hit chance cap is a lot more annoying with this build than any others for me.
With 4Ap attack, you throw 12 attack a round with the regular 50AP. Meaning that even against a target stunned, ensnared in a bear trap with zero dodge, I still have that 1/20 chance of missing every hit...
With some math for this case, you find that you have 54% chance of landing your 12 hits, 34% chance to miss one hit and 12% chance to miss 2 or more hits.
And since the combo feat require 3 consecutive hits, even on the easiest target, you have ~15% chance to miss your combo, since one miss reset the counter.

That's why I would advise a small change, raising the hit chance cap to 98%, which would not change the balance of the game, because most difficult enemies usually don't allow for 95% hit chance, but at least you won't feel like your character is clumsy against rathound when you built him/her to be a martial arts beast.
I think that PART of the reason that psi build is so fun is that you never miss with your abilities.

Maybe this new cap would require the target to be incapacitated/stunned/immobilized to be reached, or introduce a feat I don't know. Tell me what you think.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Raising maximum hit chance to 98%
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 02:35:55 pm »
Go get a punching bag and punch it 12 times in 5 seconds as hard as you can.  Chances are, one of those punches will slip, and it's a literal punching bag in your house, not a live enemy in some dark dangerous dungeon in the middle of a battle.
*eurobeat intensifies*

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 06:28:39 pm »
Go get a punching bag and punch it 12 times in 5 seconds as hard as you can.  Chances are, one of those punches will slip, and it's a literal punching bag in your house, not a live enemy in some dark dangerous dungeon in the middle of a battle.
Realism is always the weakest possible argument in any video game other than an actual training simulator.

Benjibibi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 08:36:24 pm »
Is there a way to change this limit to test the game with this change ?

Harpefan7, I didn't dedicate my life to martial arts... And you're asking me to hit very quickly, as in the rapid shot feat or burst attack, which lowers your hit chance, it makes sense when you're trying to hit faster than you normally can. Again I don't know if you read my post, I'm not talking about live ennemy that has high dodge ! I'm talking about an unconscious rathound stuck in a bear trap ! It shouldn't be a 19 out of 20 chance to hit ! 100% is maybe too much, but 98 or 99% max would not be unrealistic !

I agree with epeli, being unable to miss a taser hit even without melee training for example doesn't unbalance the game, even thought it's a lot more unrealistic.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:48:34 pm »
That's why I was talking about a punching bag.  They're not trying to dodge you, but it's still easy to miss one when you're going full ham.

being unable to miss a taser

That bugs me too.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Yaruj

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:23:13 am »
Totally agree with TS. Hit chance cap almost destroys some builds which are based on accuracy and precise. That just negates quantity of possible interesting playing approaches without giving something in return.
Can anyone call at least one advantage of hit chance cap?
I guess having special feast which removes it would be the best solution.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:38:22 am »
Totally agree with TS. Hit chance cap almost destroys some builds which are based on accuracy and precise. That just negates quantity of possible interesting playing approaches without giving something in return.
Can anyone call at least one advantage of hit chance cap?
I guess having special feast which removes it would be the best solution.
I suggested it as a veteran feat a while ago, since veteran feats didn't feel like they had enough special and unique effects to them, but it could probably work as a normal feat as well.