Author Topic: Lockpicking and Hacking, How High is High Enough?  (Read 9518 times)

SagaDC

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Lockpicking and Hacking, How High is High Enough?
« on: May 13, 2015, 02:44:15 am »
I've recently gotten back into Underrail, since we're drawing close to the final release date, and I've been trying out all sorts of different character builds. Since I tend to map out my builds well in advance, I'm curious about the upper threshold of usefulness for certain skills - chief among them, Hacking and Lockpicking.

There's no denying that both Hacking and Lockpicking are useful skills, but there has to be a point where you've reached the maximum useful skill value. I've only actually played up to a bit past Junkyard, but the highest difficulty I think I've seen for any locks is 90. Are there locks that are 100 difficulty? 150? 200? At what point have you invested enough points into those skills, sufficient to get you past the most difficult locks in the (current) game? This is, of course, keeping in mind that you can theoretically boost your Hacking and Lockpicking up to +22 with other in-game items (Jackknife, Haxxors, Lockpicks).

EDIT - A quick glance at the wiki states that 100 is enough for most locks, both electronic and mechanical, but that 'most' part makes me even more curious. It does seem to imply that there are a few other locks out there that have even higher requirements.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:49:08 am by SagaDC »

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Lockpicking and Hacking, How High is High Enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 04:04:07 am »
Yes I can't quite remember for lockpicking ,but I do remember at least one hacking skill check that a least required 110 to bypass computer security.

Gman

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:13:18 pm »
Remember, if you are raising both lockpicking/hacking, try not to forget about the synergy bonuses, making your raised skill higher depending on the related skills.  I think I only raised my lock/hack up to 80-90ish, before the synergies raised it the final way. 100 seems good, there is probably some 110 though around so plan for that as I had. 

Lock 100 things seem to be, generally, stuff that you won't come across often and are very late game sort of thing, but they will occur from time to time.

SagaDC

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 04:59:25 pm »
Yeah, I'm trying to plan long-term with synergy in mind (though thus far I've only run a character as high as Level 8 for testing purposes).

Between advanced lockpicks (+15), the Jackknife (+7), and dex/mechanics synergy I figure I can safely stop boosting Lockpicking once I get to about 65-70 on most of my builds. Maybe a bit lower, depending on how heavily I'm boosting Dex. Hacking takes a bit more investment, since I rarely have higher than 7 INT and there's no Jackknife equivalent for it - so that might have to go as high as 80 or so.

Regardless, it's good to have those rough numbers, so I get a general idea of when I'll be able to free up that extra ten Skill Points per level. :P