Author Topic: Compound skill checks values compared to loot  (Read 1527 times)

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Compound skill checks values compared to loot
« on: November 27, 2023, 08:43:40 pm »
Compound has notoriously high skill checks for opening various stuff, even higher than in deep caverns, however most of them provide very little of value compared to the requirement.

1. This room (see image) in fusion cannon lab requires 140 hacking but it has very bad loot inside, it honestly looks a bit ridiculous. The loot in that room could use a buff (140 hacking is extremely high check after all) or alternatively the check should be nerfed.

2. Safes in the new areas have very high lockpicking checks (120 in entrance office, 140 in fusion cannon lab and 140 in coil spider room) but provide only some luxury item and some cash or cigar. This is very unimpressive (and the dark territory safe also alerts greater coil spiders) and very much seems like a waste of skill points just to get some 100 charons and a gold ring. I think it would be very nice addition if the safes maybe contained some rare drug like supersoldier drug or super health hypo, chemicals like spirit poison, some high quality component or maybe even super steel (there is one super steel sheet behind a gate with 160 lockpicking in first zone, but the quality is rather unimpressive, making it not really worth the effort).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 09:09:54 pm by PaposikG6 »
Valor's favorite poster

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Compound skill checks values compared to loot
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2024, 10:20:06 pm »
I skipped this post earlier because I hadn't played through it yet. 

I suggest putting some guaranteed 130+q heavy guns/nade launcher/fusion cannon components in some or all of these checks, and/or some of the non-quality-based ones like scopes/sights/multiple barrels (for miniguns)/motors, even a shell belt.  Also since they just got fixed, maybe a guaranteed high q plasma filter and/or mentor, or hell even a cyclops.  Psychophracts use plasma beam so its known to the people here.  Tying in with another suggestion of paposik, a guaranteed night vision tube or two.  You could also do special ammo, large quantities of .44/12.7 jhp/w2c, launcher nades, or large amounts of casings.  High quality metal plates, high quality regen/sturdy vests, high quality dense foams.  Actually, you could even have jet parts (maybe they have some quads sitting around). 
*eurobeat intensifies*

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2024, 06:35:08 am »
Compound already has almost all components you listed in other places requiring very little or none skill.
Weapon parts and ammo: Armory, Armory room behind strength check (also has 100 ammo belt), Command side room (100 hacking)
Energy weapon parts: Fusion Cannon room, inside boxes (130 hacking)
Psi parts and mentors: Broken Assembler Room, Cognator room, Medical Room 2
Regen Vest: Medical Room 2, in a box (120 hacking)
Metal plates: Outside section, 10 perception check behind a fence near rift

The biggest problem is that in comparison, these are some of the lower checks in the compound; there are even higher checks that i mentioned in the OP and they provide nothing of practical value despite being higher than anywhere in the game, even higher than in deep caverns. These areas could really use some more unique loot.

The janitor room in Fusion Cannon Lab (140 hacking) in particular has only Fire Proximity Suit, Crowbar, Worker Suit and Utility Belt guaranteed. I think your suggestion for jet ski parts could be useful in this room. Alternatively a super steel crowbar could have been added here replacing the normal crowbar.
Valor's favorite poster

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2024, 12:13:42 pm »
I knew about the 100 belt; thats why I didn't mention any.  The plates outside aren't very high quality, at least they weren't for me.  I didn't have hacking.
*eurobeat intensifies*