Author Topic: Question about Thought control+throwing build  (Read 2186 times)

bryanudi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Question about Thought control+throwing build
« on: August 03, 2020, 11:10:02 pm »
Hello!

On this new update, i'm trying to play a somewhat stealthy Thought of control with add to throwing, as throwing doesn't need much specialization when it comes to feats, and grenades are usually what saves my ass 50% of the time.

What i want?
I never played a psi character before. However, my favorite school is thought control. I like how its more than dealing damage, as it can in fact cause chaos on the battlefield.
Here is how the build goes (Yes, the two missing stat points are on purpsoe. I don't know if i should leave one of the stats not so used at 5, or leave all at 3 and boost the two extra points on int.)

https://underrail.info/build/?FAMKAwMDDwYAbgAAAAAyACgAPEZubm5ubgAAAAAAACsoJz8jKhY-WCFeUQXfvw

Questions i have

-I also want to use throwing knives and some of the feats, split spare, pinning and fatal throw. With dex on 10 is enough to use them reliably, or should i boost Dex instead of Will?

-The same as the above, but on the other side of the spectrum. Considering that the most reliable damage dealer of Thought is the very first skill, overload. Is it worth boosting will for the extra points? Or just leaving will at 10 and leveling thought control is enough to deal considerable damage as i will get LoC, Premeditaion, Cerebral trauma and Mental subversion.

-I don't feel comfortable with ditching Hacking and lockpicking, but i had to ditch one so i could focus more on crafting, as i need the crafting to make my graneades and gear. I felt more comfortable staying with lockpicking, as it gives possibility to use vents, and considering i prefer playing on oddity, i remember a lot of the xp is behind lockp
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:13:50 pm by bryanudi »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Thought control+throwing build
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 04:55:44 am »
I've never been impressed with Mental Subversion.  By the time you get good stacks of it on target, that target is dead.  I'd much rather take Cerebral Trauma at level 4, and swap out Mental Subversion for Meditation since you've already gone with Tranquility.

If you do put those leftover stat points in Intelligence, you'll be able to free up enough skill points to get Hacking again.  Also, you don't need quite that much Biology, and certainly not by level 20.

https://underrail.info/build/?FAMKAwMDDwgAbgAAAAAyPDIAPEZkVVVkbgAAAAAAACsoJz8FKhY-ZCFYXlHfvw   With either housing crafting bonus or Hypercerebrix, that's enough Chemistry to make MkV grenades/mines, enough Tailoring to make top-tier leather armor, and with both housing bonus and Hypercerebrix, enough Electronics to make a shield generator of highest quality (and if you squeeze in Under Pie, enough Biology to use Heartbreak poison, as well).  It's a bit more restricted in where you need to be standing to craft the top-end stuff, but if that's a sacrifice you can justify, it frees up a nice chunk of skill points.

To answer your question about Will, you should try to get your effective skill up around 200 ASAP.  I wouldn't try to ride out the game with 10 Will as a psion.  With TC effective skill values under 200, you'll see some resolve checks and resists on your abilities.  Since they're mostly all-or-nothing, it's best to minimize the chances that your enemy gets the "nothing" option.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 04:58:04 am by TheAverageGortsby »

bryanudi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:18:20 pm »
I've never been impressed with Mental Subversion.  By the time you get good stacks of it on target, that target is dead.  I'd much rather take Cerebral Trauma at level 4, and swap out Mental Subversion for Meditation since you've already gone with Tranquility.

If you do put those leftover stat points in Intelligence, you'll be able to free up enough skill points to get Hacking again.  Also, you don't need quite that much Biology, and certainly not by level 20.

https://underrail.info/build/?FAMKAwMDDwgAbgAAAAAyPDIAPEZkVVVkbgAAAAAAACsoJz8FKhY-ZCFYXlHfvw   With either housing crafting bonus or Hypercerebrix, that's enough Chemistry to make MkV grenades/mines, enough Tailoring to make top-tier leather armor, and with both housing bonus and Hypercerebrix, enough Electronics to make a shield generator of highest quality (and if you squeeze in Under Pie, enough Biology to use Heartbreak poison, as well).  It's a bit more restricted in where you need to be standing to craft the top-end stuff, but if that's a sacrifice you can justify, it frees up a nice chunk of skill points.

To answer your question about Will, you should try to get your effective skill up around 200 ASAP.  I wouldn't try to ride out the game with 10 Will as a psion.  With TC effective skill values under 200, you'll see some resolve checks and resists on your abilities.  Since they're mostly all-or-nothing, it's best to minimize the chances that your enemy gets the "nothing" option.

Why, thank you!

I noticed the lack of agility really gutted my movement points, but even leaving it on 5 doesn't change a thing. I was going to leave them on strength for carry capacity, as i will be using quite a lot of mines and possibly throwing knives. But i think packrathound should do the work.

Just a final question, is it possible to ditch meditation for those 25 psi points and instead go with quick pockets? Considering the investment in throwing, i would certainly use the extra slot.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 04:44:11 am »
Just a final question, is it possible to ditch meditation for those 25 psi points and instead go with quick pockets? Considering the investment in throwing, i would certainly use the extra slot.
Sure.  TC abilities tend to be fairly costly so the extra psi pool can be nice, but if you're planning on being mostly throwing with the psi as support, then you'll probably be fine. Plus you can always pop a psi booster if you need to.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 06:40:56 am »
I don't think throwing knives do well without going all out on Dex and Throwing.