Author Topic: Save size and number of files exploded at late-game  (Read 2455 times)

swampzero

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Save size and number of files exploded at late-game
« on: January 06, 2016, 01:55:57 am »
I'm at DC and I started noticing increased zone-transition times. I thought it was the areas or a memory leak, but turns out its the autosaving.

My save folders used to be 10-30mb. Now they are 160mb each, containing ~1100 files. These are created from autosaves every time you zone transition on top of when you save manually, and it has made transitions take up more than 30 seconds for me.

It's not terrible, but its not optimal either. I know games have more stuff to keep track of during the lategame, but it's starting to impact the game here so maybe you can look into tricks to make them smaller

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Save size and number of files exploded at late-game
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:47:20 pm »
There's not much that can be done about the size at this point, but in the new save format epeli mentioned we'll archive the files so the saving won't take as long.

Leosky

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:00:21 am »
There's not much that can be done about the size at this point, but in the new save format epeli mentioned we'll archive the files so the saving won't take as long.

to quicken save, isn't it possible to double cgtemp and 'rename' the copy to the save ? It will induce a delay between two save but should be short :o. So only the last zone could have to be copied for the next save / zone transition.

swampzero

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 07:57:11 am »
that's cool! Speed is more important than size

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 05:19:58 pm »

to quicken save, isn't it possible to double cgtemp and 'rename' the copy to the save ? It will induce a delay between two save but should be short :o. So only the last zone could have to be copied for the next save / zone transition.

In the new save system, the current game will be kept entirely in memory and cgtemp will be gone.

Leosky

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:32 pm »
that work too :> and it's lesser confusing :o