Author Topic: Stealth???  (Read 591 times)

Softdiagram3050

• Noob
    • View Profile
Stealth???
« on: November 03, 2023, 08:36:00 pm »
Hey everyone i am a total noob to this game and i am having trouble understanding the games stealth mechanics. as soon as someone appears on my screen they allready have the red eye above them and i dont know what i am supposed to do to change that.

Please tell me what i am doing wrong.

Timevir

• Oculite
  • Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 09:08:09 pm »
What is your stealth skill number at? What armor are you wearing?

Valor

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 09:09:09 pm »
You have too low stealth score. Bear in mind your armour penalty negatively affects your stealth. Your real stealth is the one in ().

When your stealth is too low compared to enemy detection you get automatically detected.

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 04:16:03 am »
Hey everyone i am a total noob to this game and i am having trouble understanding the games stealth mechanics. as soon as someone appears on my screen they allready have the red eye above them and i dont know what i am supposed to do to change that.

Please tell me what i am doing wrong.
Stealth is pretty well done in this game. Here are some important things to know.

- every enemy has their own "detection" score, and it varies a lot between different enemies. If an enemy's "detection" is way higher than your effective stealth, then they will always instantly detect you whenever you are in their area of sight;

- your effective stealth equals your stealth score minus your armor penalty (percentage), if you wear any armor pieces with armor penalty. Some (lighter) armor has no armor penalty, and there are feats to reduce armor penalty. Some armor even provide bonuses to stealth and/or to agility (which indirectly increases stealth);

- whenever your agility is higher than 4, you get 8.5% bonus to your stealth per each point in agilty. Characters with high agility are thus always better for sneaking around;

- there is a "cloaking device" possible to either make (electronics skill) or buy (from electronics shops) which temporarily increases stealth;

- difficulty mode increases enemies' skills, including "detection" score, and so it's always harder to sneak in higher difficulty modes;

- Interloper feat makes you move significantly faster while in stealth, making it easier to sneak past enemies;

- when your stealth is sufficiently high vs enemies' detection score, you can move within their area of vision undetected as long as the eye next to their name is green and yellow, but as soon as it turns to orange, enemies become aware of your presense and start to move towards you. This is equivalent to you seeing some stealthed enemy but yet unable to target them;

- when your stealth is way higher than enemies' detection score, then even when the eye turns orange they're still unaware about your presense, but will still attack you if the eye turns red;

- whenever your stealth is high enough for enemies not to detect you instantly, both distance to an enemy and how well lit your character is define how quickly enemies are able to detect you. With sufficiently high stealth and/or sufficiently dark area your character is staying in, it's possible to sneak right next to an enemy (very next tile) and still remain undetected.
our lifestyles, mores, institutions, patterns of interaction, values, and expectations are shaped by a cultural heritage that was formed in a time when carrying capacity exceeded the human load. (c) William R. Catton, Jr