Author Topic: Dev Log #34: With Fire and Brimstone  (Read 15071 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #34: With Fire and Brimstone
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:56:52 am »
Hey guys, we took a couple weeks off in August/September to recharge our batteries, but we're back now and we're kicking it into high gear. While we're also working on new areas and quests (we'll get to that in some future dev log), I'm taking this time to finally implement last of the game mechanics (not quite done yet). In this case that would be fire and gas.

You will now be able to create fire bombs (such as Molotov cocktail) that set character, creatures and the ground on fire as well. The burning ground is very dangerous as it deals both flat and -percentage of max health- damage so you cannot ignore it even on high levels. The amount of damage dealt depends on the intensity of the flames (which depends on the power of the fire bomb, but can also stack if you throw multiple bombs).

You'll now also be able to craft gas grenades. The only type of gas grenade at the moment is "Toxic Gas Grenade" which deals flat bio damage. The damage dealt depends on the density of the gas (it's more dense at the source). While toxic gas doesn't deal damage quickly, the grenade does last for a long time and also bio resistance is currently not present on standard combat armors and if introduced later it will not be in generous amounts. Specialized equipment to deal with this and more powerful bio-hazzards will be added in the future. Also, players will encounter permanent sources of toxic gas in certain places (such as the one on the screenshot).

In other news, I've taken the time to do some UI improvements. This is probably the definitive list of the UI changes as I have tons of other stuff to get done before we release the game so I hope I answered most of your complaints/suggestions:

• Added larger font options for everything (object labels, tooltips, quest notes, pop-up dialogs, combat log, etc)
  • Moves the combat log window slightly so it won't interrupt scrolling anymore
  • Added an option to auto-end turn when the player is out of MP and AP
  • Added more hotkeys (swap weapons, toggle shield, etc; might add more if necessary) and added keybinding options
  • Inspected containers that are empty are now marked as such
  • Increased the font in Combat Stats Overview window
  • Available component for a given blueprint will now be highlighted in the same manner as when trading
  • Double clicking (or ctrl clicking) a component will automatically transfer it to the crafting screen if appropriate blueprint is open
  • Clicking a crafting slot will automatically fill it with the first available component if empty, or clear it if full
  • ESC/ENTER and other intuitive hotkeys (such as Y/N) will now work inside confirmation boxes
  • While holding SHIFT player will not be able to issue move command as to prevent people from accidentally moving when they meant to shoot; keep in mind though that you'll still be able to issue a melee attack command that might require movement even when SHIFT is held

That's all for now dudes. Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:03:32 pm by Styg »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #34: With Fire and Brimstone
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:33:14 am »
Nice.
Available component for a given blueprint will not be highlighted in the same manner as when trading
There were so far? 0.o Never noticed.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:08:41 pm »
UI improvements sound excellent so far as well as the molotovs and gas grenades. Throwing weapons seems to be getting a lot of love recently.

DMonin

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:11:13 pm »
Thanks for hotkeys!

Whats about level cap?
Richard Moreau, Vault 8

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:36:14 am »

screeg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:03:04 pm »
To all your GUI improvements, I say Thank Glob!  Good work Styg.

Raging flames and toxic gas also awesome.

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 02:49:16 pm »
Do fire bombs and gas grenades not have cooldowns or are they treated like grenades/special grenades?

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 03:40:47 pm »
UI changes are really cool.

Can we also craft fire/gas mines?

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »
Do fire bombs and gas grenades not have cooldowns or are they treated like grenades/special grenades?
they are treated like grenades

Can we also craft fire/gas mines?

As of now, no. But it's an interesting idea, we will surely take it into consideration, but no promises.

Whats about level cap?

Most likely not in this update, the level cap will be raise once we have end game content in there because it does not make sense to balance it without that content. (how much it will be raised we still can not say, or if it will be raised at all, but we will take a closer look to balancing once we close up).

DMonin

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 07:15:36 pm »
Most likely not in this update, the level cap will be raise once we have end game content in there because it does not make sense to balance it without that content. (how much it will be raised we still can not say, or if it will be raised at all, but we will take a closer look to balancing once we close up).

Okay, thanks.

I don't know maybe someone already asked about to add books/school/computures or something like this to have ability learn and increase chars skills? Especially techs skills.
Richard Moreau, Vault 8

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 06:52:03 am »
they are treated like grenades

Actually, gas grenades have their separate cooldown and are considered "special" grenades for the purpose of cooldown modification. Firebombs are, indeed, treated as standard grenades.

Omegakill

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 11:53:52 am »
Any rough ideas when this content will be ready to hit steam at all? Just started a new game but don't want to have to restart again to experience new content if I only need to wait a week or so and I really like the sound of the new stuff that's coming up.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 08:52:37 am »
Any rough ideas when this content will be ready to hit steam at all? Just started a new game but don't want to have to restart again to experience new content if I only need to wait a week or so and I really like the sound of the new stuff that's coming up.

It won't be up this month for sure.

Omegakill

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 12:36:16 pm »
Ok not a problem, thanks for taking the time to reply. Still loving the game so far I just want to be careful how many times I play through it because sometimes the starting few missions are a bit of a pain in the backside when you've done it 7 or 8 times.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 10:58:29 am »
Ok not a problem, thanks for taking the time to reply. Still loving the game so far I just want to be careful how many times I play through it because sometimes the starting few missions are a bit of a pain in the backside when you've done it 7 or 8 times.

Yeah Burnout can become a problem, but that's more a problem with the Early Acces model than anything. Personally, I play through the game once every 2 major update or so, keeps things fresh for me. :)