Author Topic: Is opportunist+execute worth it on a pistol build?  (Read 5484 times)

SadBaxter

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Is opportunist+execute worth it on a pistol build?
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:01:52 am »
I've already got kneecap shot but I was wondering whether those abilities were triggered by a kneecapped target, if that was the case then I'd certainly grab them as aimed shot->kneecap->execute could be a devastating 3 shot combo.

Also how much does expertise increase damage per level? How much does a regular level up affect your damage per level for that matter?

Also also, It seems like getting armor sloping has a lot more utility than ballistics in terms of lategame armor crafting. At least the value of tactical vests is mainly in that it provides huge mechanical resistance early game when combined with the 3x guns bonus, but that the components don't scale terribly well with quality. I'd get gun nut before either of them of course but just wondering.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:07:22 am by SadBaxter »

SadBaxter

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Is opportunist+execute worth it on a pistol build?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:07:53 am »
You're going to need some way to stun or incapacitate your target for execute to work.

Expertise deals extra damage equal to your level. So if you're level 1, it deals 1

And kneecap doesn't count as incapacitating someone. Dang.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 10:42:15 am »
I think in the past slowing them did count, but that was changed if I remember right.
Which I probably don't, but anyways. You can use nets and Flashbangs, PSI and melee techniques to make people stop moving.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

SadBaxter

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 10:54:07 am »
True, kneecapping slows the target, so it triggers Opportunist's 20% bonus. Incapacitating effects are all the stun-like effects that break on damage.

Forgot to mention: level ups don't affect damage, but weapon skill does.

And regarding armor sloping / ballistics, it really depends on what armor you want to use and for what purpose.
Metal armor with as much mobility as you can retain? Definitely armor sloping.
Metal armor without regard for armor penalty? Ballistics can help you a bit.
Tactical vest from early on? Ballistics.
Riot gear can get some benefit from both.
etc.

Ohhh you're right, ballistics gives a bonus to ALL recipes that use vests, not just tactical vests. I guess I could pick it up at some point, but I have a strong feeling that metal armor is going to end up much better for both ranged and melee threats later on in the game, unless supersteel inserts give huge base damage resistance+threshold or burrower carapaces scale better than ceramic plates. Maybe ceramic plates scale okay into the lategame? Hmm...

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 11:31:50 am »
Well, you can get 30 threshold with really high quality. How practical that is is anyone's guess.
With good Kevlar cloth, you're looking at immunity from SMGs.
On the other side, if you go max armour, sloping doesn't really help you much. You reach 95% anyways.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

captainmeow

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 02:10:53 pm »
Armor Sloping + Nimble + Super Steel Armor is a pretty crazy combo. you can have 50%dr for as little as 15% armor penalty.