Author Topic: Do you have any hints to defeat the last opponent in the arena?  (Read 16146 times)

Bjorn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have any hints to defeat the last opponent in the arena?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 09:13:46 am »
Well... I just now managed to defeat him with my lvl 10, TankyTank Assault Rifle build. (A slightly experimental build, as I am going to max out Con to 16 as primary stat.) Normal Difficulty.
Carnifex had initiative, but I resisted his "yell"-intimidation attack, which is important. (If I dont resist, I will have my Gun skill reduced to almost nothing, meaning I almost cant hit him.)
I definately did not get him in first try, and I did need a little bit of luck, but because of my build I could fairly easily tank him for quite a long time. My weakest point was when he used Yell, and it became almost impossible for me to hit carnifex, even with a 9-bullet burst fire!

I relied mostly on damage resistance from armor, AND Damage Reduction.
A few vital things I learned/figured out in this regard, which others might find useful:
1. Dont use a metal armor, the moment Carnifex gets a few crippling strikes on you, your strength gets lower than the minimum strength of the metal armor, and your AP gets reduced by 15 points!. If you instead choose a good riot gear with reinforced fabric panel (and regenerative vest), you will actually get the same damage resistance against carnifex melee attacks, as you would with a Metal armor. Because Riot Gear has a 75% bonus to Damage Resistance and Threshold against melee! Only minus is the lower Armor penalty which makes Juggernaut Feat not work. (Riot Shield was NOT an option, as I was using Rifles)
2. Damage Reduction is not in itself overpowered, but when combined with Morphine, it gets pretty wild. With "Conditioning", "Lifting Belt" and "Mushroom Brew" I had 37% Damage Reduction, but when combined with Morphine I get a whooping 87% Damage Reduction, which are applied AFTER the armors Damage Resistance. When you multipliy that with the Damage Resistance of armor pieces, then Carnifex suddenly only damaged me for 10-15 damge per hit, which is much more survivable.
BUT... remember what happens at the end of the 3 rounds of morphine! (Actually that was how Carnifex died, I had him down on around 5% life, and then his morphine ran out taking away his last bit of health.)

Combine this with some Stun from a Taser, and a Flashbang, you can stay alive for a while.

Of the above, using the Riot Gear should be availible for most Character Builds, at least without the regenerative vest if you are not a crafter. And for stealth builds, it should be possible to craft a Riot Gear with Black overcoat that gives +stealth.
And by using a Lifting Belt and perhaps Mushroom Brew (if youre not a Psi-character), you can miximize the advantage of the Morphine. (Pure Morphine means 50% damage received, with just the belt and brew, you get that down to 30% damage received, which is almost doubling the advantage of the morphine.)

That was just my 2 cents in regards to Carnifex, at least sofar.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:25:02 am by Bjorn »

hayaku

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 02:06:41 pm »
Also the movement speed increase doesn't stack with tabbis, making that armor completely pointless except maybe for a max STR melee evasion build.

Just confirmed now... it certainly DOES stack!!

Naked: 39 movement points
Just 'Tabi': 61 movement points
Just 'Rathound Regalia': 49 points

Rathound + Tabi: 71 points!!!

71 points gets me so much travel, great for LOS abuse and all the rest. I also use this armor for the +25 stealth, which is a big help... immunity to fear has saved me more than once, and the fact that rathounds don't attack me has really helped with exploring and made things much easier in early/mid game. Best of all, the +10% movement speed stacks with the tabi boots, which stacks with the interloper feat and means I can practically run while stealth, makes a huge difference!!

I intend to upgrade to padded infused cave hopper leather armour at some point, and hoping the bonuses scale with quality. Would love to have more than +10% speed  +10 movement points but we will just have to see  :-X

ktgentelman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 02:15:18 pm »
The most stable way to beat him is simple, Infused siphoner leather boots with quick tinkering.

Since tailoring and quick tinkering are both kind of king of the game, this should be easy enough for any Dexterity 7 player.

Although psi or sledgehammer build may not have Dexterity 7, Infused siphoner leather boots can dodge his net, made you can play with him on so many ways...although you have to kill the beast first.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 04:39:49 pm »
Also the movement speed increase doesn't stack with tabbis, making that armor completely pointless except maybe for a max STR melee evasion build.

Just confirmed now... it certainly DOES stack!!

Naked: 39 movement points
Just 'Tabi': 61 movement points
Just 'Rathound Regalia': 49 points

Rathound + Tabi: 71 points!!!

This is movement points, not movement speed. Different things - one works in turn based, the other in real time. Moving 1 tile in combat always cost 10 movement points, regardless of movement speed.

What I meant is that only the highest +movement speed gear counts, not both added together. So if your tabbis are +15% movement speed I was under impression that you don't get 25% with the Regalia. Last time I used it was long ago, I think last year and I was certain that it didn't make me walk faster then with tabbis alone. Some things get ninjapatched so I could be wrong and it stacks now just fine.

Yes infused cave hopper leather armor is way better choice if you can get decent quality. The best thing is you don't suffer that 100% extra heat damage. With Rathound Regalia and 3 CON it's very easy to get killed by a single HE mine which deals lots of heat damage. The downside of being a fast explorer. :p
Not to mention all the molotovs and grenades in combat.

hayaku

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 03:59:42 am »
I'm fairly sure movement speed stacks too... at least it seemed that way when I was testing it earlier in the game.
By that I mean "real world" out of combat movement speed. Not sure about tiles/action point or anything like that.

SuNo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 05:00:25 pm »
Carniflex was no big deal to me. As the initial poster on this topic, I had mostly a psy+crossbow+some stealth+dex 6+1 (hopper burger?) when I killed him. Can't remember my level, but not very high.

1- start combat manually (more chances to get initiative).
2- fear
3- electric area (one square psy trap that stun him) and/or stun
4- crossbow when he is stunned (with poisoned bolts)
5- Wall (can't remember the name of the skill)
6- hide behind the pillar or behind the psy wall when he is not stun so as to get enough time to his stun immunity to fade

SuNo
PS: during all the first part of the game I did not use any craft. I >had< to gain some to create psy and health potions in SPOiLER DC, but could have avoided wasting points if I knew I would not find many health there END OF SPOILER
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:12:28 pm by SuNo »

LifeTears

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 04:56:23 am »
First of all - Rathound Regalia is a very bad choice in general for a low CON build. Actually it's bad for everyone as it was nerfed beyond usefulness, especially with that 200% fire damage debuff. One grenade or molotov and your low CON guy is toast. It's also useless against Carnifex because you need something like 250+ dodge to even start avoiding his attacks, and for the purpose of mitgating damage it offers as little as a low-grade leather armor.

Do not agree, i beat the whole game wearing Rathound Regalia, every single quest including Tchort him self. Also had a base con as well 5 or 6. It all depends how you play the game and how good you are with it.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 02:11:38 pm »
You can reload a savegame so you have infinite tries to beat a certain encounter. Anything works with enough patience, but it doesn't mean it's optimal.

LifeTears

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 04:16:06 am »
You can reload a savegame so you have infinite tries to beat a certain encounter. Anything works with enough patience, but it doesn't mean it's optimal.

i guess i'm a very patient guy :)