Author Topic: My SMG/Sniper build  (Read 17609 times)

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
My SMG/Sniper build
« on: March 26, 2016, 12:51:40 pm »
Hello guys.

After watching Nerd Commando's Spec Ops video tutorial on Youtube I have decided to make a slightly different build than his.

Here's what I got:

STR 3
DEX 10
AGI 5
CON 3
PER 10
WIL 3
INT 6

Initial feats were Expertise (mandatory) and Aimed shot (you could swap this one for another favorite one).
Guns, throwing, stealth, hacking, lockpicking, traps, mechanical, electronics, tailoring

You can invest probably in evasion too, when you think you are ready. I am building crafting feats first.

For crowd control I heavily use caltrops, grenades and traps (got the sure step feat, but you can swap it too if you don't like it)

Put two points to strength at levels 4, 8 (we are handling sniper rifles). Or leave as is for later and grab Dragunov (no STR req.)

Later feats are up to you but I usually take opportunist, sniper, spec ops, sharpshooter; and maybe, suppresive fire, commando, grenadier, nimble...

Get your hands on some nice 5mm and 7,62mm SMGs. Swap them as needed. With DEX 10 you can shoot a 5mm Jaguar an insane six times per round and you can burst twice (even without the spec ops feat). 5mm is okay for earlier game and for most organic enemies.

Swap to a bigger caliber for tougher fights. When your crafting level is high enough you can craft your own custom SMGs. Meanwhile grab a 8,6mm steel cat if you can (you can still shoot it four times per round). It does a decent amount of damage for DT enemies.

Later, when you reach Junkyard looking for the Armadillo chip thingy, get your hands on some 7,62mm sniper rifle (e.g. don't get any sniper if it needs more than 35 AP to shoot: the reason, you can start combat probably deleting some enemy with a snipe and you still have some AP points left to perform any other action or even reposition yourself). If you have been investing in crafting you can even craft a semi-decent 7,62mm sniper rifle at this point. I was lucky enough to get my hands on some smart modules and anatomically aware scopes. So nice for extra critical damage.

Other gear includes any googles you might like (wearing improved critical chance ones) and a siphoner leather made by me. Get Tabi boots as soon as you see them (we are starved for AGI...)

PS - Keep in mind that I am playing easy difficulty. YMMV.

Comments are welcome.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: My SMG/Sniper build
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:06:29 pm »
I would probably invest in Spec Ops feat much sooner and raise AGI to 6, either at 4th or 8th level, in order to get it, ASAP, when it gets available at level 8th. It may be best to sacrifice INT at start and level it up later, and take that needed AGI and STR.

Opportunist only makes sense if combined with Supressive Fire, since SMG/sniper usually likes CC abilities.

Commando is a must have. Especially useful with higher caliber SMGs.

Also, this build is essentially glass cannon. My SMG/Sniper was very similar to this (had CON5 and no crafting) and was easy to kill, if not careful. Can not even fathom, how it works at CON3.

Later I buffed him to CON7 and Juggernaut just to be tough enough for some fights where no stealth is used, when I switch to heavy anti-rifle armor.

Not sure how you manage 130 weight limit without Pack Rat. For me personally it is way too little.

Also, I stopped using 5mm very early. They are just too weak against anything armored.

And 9mm H&K SMG is awesome for non-crafters. It was my companion for almost 70% of the game.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:19:00 pm by player1 »

Darthgrey

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 01:24:15 pm »
I just used a 7,62 Spearhead sniper rifle (with rapid fire and smart module) in one hand and assault rifle in other (Steyr Auch, good damage, easy to get, common ammo), after I got Commando perk I had 2 bursts per turn, and It's faceroll (at least on normal), you can easy kill 4 enemies in two turns: 2 with Snipe and Aimed shot during 1-st turn and 2 with bursts during 2-nd, if there's more than 4 enemies - I used traps.

STR 5
DEX 3
AGI 9
CON 3
PER 10 -> 15
WIL 3
INT 7
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:26:12 pm by Darthgrey »

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 01:28:52 pm »
Well, that is not really SMG/Sniper build? Isn't it?

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 02:06:21 pm »
Hey. Thanks for your replies specially player1.

I got some nice ideas for improvement from you... I wasn't aware you need AGI 6 for spec ops. DOH!

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 02:18:07 pm »
OK.

I have done a different one. Just because I can quite manage with 130 encumbrance, I didn't want to leave crafting behind.

STR 3
DEX 10
AGI 6
CON 3
PER 10
WIL 3
INT 5

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 02:50:56 pm »
STR 3
DEX 10++++++
AGI 6
CON 5
PER 10
WIL 3
INT 3

Expertise
Opportunist
Supressive fire
Grenadier
Quick tinkering
Spec Ops
Three-pointer
Skinner
Commando
Critical power
Conditioning
Ambush

Skills : Guns, stealth, evasion, traps, throwing, crafting, a bit in lockpicking and hacking

Also why you would want to use sniper rifle? Wouldnt it be more rewarding to make sniper build instead?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:53:33 pm by Eldakar »

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 03:26:01 pm »
Why not use it if having PER10?
It nicely compliments SMG for when at range and for ambushes. It also conserves SMG ammo.

Of course you can not be everying at once. In your case you sacrificed snipers to be grenade/trap expert (which also requires specific skills).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 03:30:37 pm by player1 »

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 04:24:51 pm »
@Eldakar:
As I said before, Nerd Commando's Spec Ops. build is just a pure SMG build (without sniper features). I didn't want to make such a similar build.
Also, snipe feat is too good for it to be left behind. And just because I always choose the stealthy approach, it's a nice way to start combat. That combined with a custom made sniper rifle can lead to devastating effects (very nice for clearing those pesky burrowers btw). Also, I am not very sure how can sniper rifle be the main (and only) weapon. You surely need a sidekick weapon.

PS - So far, so good. Thanks to the RNG loot system, I found a rapid reloader and I am at level 5. I am keeping it for later.
PS2 - I also found tabi boots blueprint while doing the "hopper round up" quest. This must be my lucky day. :)
PS3 - I didn't know "Suppressive fire" counted for the "Opportunist" feat. Never took it before but now I understand it has got great synergy.
Spray and pray! LOL.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:29:53 pm by eLPuSHeR »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 04:55:02 pm »
Suppresive fire + Opportunist is 15% extra dmg not 25% bonus.. but still worth considering because that 15% is for every bullet so its better then gun nut.

Sniper dont need sidekick weapon as long you can shot twice, once with aimed shot and another shot with snipe. Thats two enemies down, hit sprint, run away, and go back and do it again. Dragunov is 25 AP, and its not hard to get until you craft your own.

EDIT: But if you insist snipe/SMG this is might be good:

STR 5
DEX 10++++++
AGI 6
CON 3
PER 10
WIL 3
INT 3

Expertise
Opportunist
Supressive fire
Aimed shot
Recklessness
Spec Ops
Snipe
Nimble
Commando
Critical power
Ambush

However you will be at 3 CON..

Edit: Removed skinner, replaced with nimble
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:36:30 pm by Eldakar »

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 06:32:18 pm »

INT 3

Skinner

In Underrail a person who wants to skin animals, like our neanderthal ancestors did, needs same intelligence as neurologist, chemist, physicist or electronics engineer.

Ambush

But, but ... it's situational!

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 07:30:25 pm »
@Eldakar:

Your build is okay, except that I prefer slightly higher INT for smoother crafting.

Also, you are not taking into account missed shots. That's what I like about SMGs: you can shot several times per round. This evening, while in combat, I missed two 95% hit chance shots in a row.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 08:47:19 pm »
My very favorite sniper build uses a smart rapid 7.62mm Spearhead sniper (24AP) plus a 7 burst smart muzzled 7.62 mm Chimera SMG / 5 burst smart rapid 8.6 mm (22AP bursts @ 7 DEX), so with 70 AP I can exactly fit 2 sniper shots and 1 SMG burst or with 90 AP 1 sniper shots and 3 SMG bursts.
It's a permadeath speced build with Quick Tinkering, 10 agility, 10 perception AND 10 constitution @ level 24. For most players however it's probably better to go for a glass cannon with maxed PER (16), 10 agi and 7 INT for the crafting feats.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 09:59:58 am »
How about Ballistics feat? Would there be a good build with riot gear / tactical vest out there?

Sprint
Gunslinger
Recklessness
Steadyfast Aim
Ballistics
Rapid fire
Oportunist
Execute
Critical power
Gun nut
Kneecap shot
Point shot

EDIT: changed aimed shot to sprint
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:17:53 pm by Eldakar »

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 11:58:34 am »
Taking "Aimed shot" feat without the intention of getting either "Sniper" and "Sharpshooter" is a waste in my opinion.