Author Topic: How quickly can I get back from Deep Caverns without finishing the game?  (Read 7018 times)

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
I just reached DC. I left most of my best mats behind thinking, for various reasons (such as the fishing quest, presence of multiple inactive elevators, etc), that I would be able to return without too much trouble.  In particular I saved my best Super Steel to infuse an Ancient Rathound skin. Well, it seems I might be stuck down there till the conclusion, and with no home workbenches, suddenly all those new and exotic mats down there are useless to me.

[minor spoiler ahead] The Faceless leader tells me an elevator leads to the surface and I need to power it via the old Power Station. That power station appears to be one giant puzzle, but OK. However, various hints, clues and a squinty peek at the wiki (trying to ONLY glean what I absolutely need spoilers-wise, no more, so please keep answers in that vein as well) I suspect that I might be finishing the game down here before I can return. Am I right? Or can I get back up to my house fairly quickly, then return to finish the game. If not, I'm reloading and pumping my crafting skills to the maximum even if I have to neglect everything else. I couldn't believe my luck when, just as I was complaining about mats quality, I got a 160 Super Steel! It's not doing me any good in a  closet though :(

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
I suspect that I might be finishing the game down here before I can return.
Quote from: minor spoilers
Your suspicions are correct

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
I suspect that I might be finishing the game down here before I can return.
Quote from: minor spoilers
Your suspicions are correct

[SPOILER] Thanks Monk. So, when the Faceless leader says there is an elevator back to the surface that just need power, it's a bit misleading. Carefully squinting at the wiki to reveal as little as possible, it sounds like even if you get power active, you still have to go to another area to "Press the button" or some such.

Ninjaxenomorph

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Once your time in the DC is done, the game isn't quite finished.

Taggart

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
You'll be down there awhile..

Before you get too far into it - consider going back to a save before you went down the elevator.

You may very well want some of your best gear down there - and before you go (particularly if your house is equipped with appropriate workbenches) is one of the best time to craft your good gear (and take it with you).

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile
I'll say minimum 2-3 hours, more if this is your very first time to the DP.
"We don't have to dream that we're important" ~ Robert House, CEO of RobCo.

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
I did reload a save up top and craft some good stuff. The really disappointing bit is I thought that Ancient Rathound skins would be like Rathound skins on steroids. Not the case...different properties, specifically it is lacking the bonus to crit. So all that ultra high quality Super Steel fiber I brought isn't doing much for me. Ah well, shows what I get for metagaming. So I ended up pumping up Biology instead of Tailoring so I can possibly make use of all the new bio ingredients in DC. So far, not much though. No new recipes, so maybe it will help me in some other way. Only thing I've been able to make so far is spirit poisoned throwing knives, which aren't good enough to use up a utility slot for with my build.

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile
I did reload a save up top and craft some good stuff. The really disappointing bit is I thought that Ancient Rathound skins would be like Rathound skins on steroids. Not the case...different properties, specifically it is lacking the bonus to crit. So all that ultra high quality Super Steel fiber I brought isn't doing much for me. Ah well, shows what I get for metagaming. So I ended up pumping up Biology instead of Tailoring so I can possibly make use of all the new bio ingredients in DC. So far, not much though. No new recipes, so maybe it will help me in some other way. Only thing I've been able to make so far is spirit poisoned throwing knives, which aren't good enough to use up a utility slot for with my build.

For what it's worth, one could 'skin' one of the "augmented rathounds" and manage to get 60+ regular rathound leather, although you might not get it on the first couple of tries but it's possible.
Easiest way to do this would be to go back up the elevator to Eldein's office once the 'last stand sequence' begins and just reload your auto-save until you manage to get at least 1 augmented rathound to appear among the 3 randomly 'spawned' faceless that'll be waiting when you step out of the elevator.
Should be said though that you need to kill all 3 really quick since you won't be able to use the elevator again until you're out of combat in 'technical terms' cause the faceless will keep coming out of the damn walls and so you might have 3-4 turns tops to kill said 3 random faceless and get the 60+ rathound leather that way.
But of course one could just try their luck in the DP elevator room and 'snatch' the skin(s) off augmented rathounds there although it can be quite a 'pain' with so many faceless 'troops' all around you.
Oh and by the way if you actually manage to go up the elevator and back down, expect plenty of faceless in 'different positions' compared to when you left, although at least the Tchortists who were still alive at the time you would go up the elevator would still be alive as well as the elevator to the DP would be one 'notch' away from arriving to your location so basically make a run for the elevator if you can!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:07:28 am by X41823T »

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile

For what it's worth, one could 'skin' one of the "augmented rathounds" and manage to get 60+ regular rathound leather, although you might not get it on the first couple of tries but it's possible.
Easiest way to do this would be to go back up the elevator to Eldein's office once the 'last stand sequence' begins and just reload your auto-save until you manage to get at least 1 augmented rathound to appear among the 3 randomly 'spawned' faceless that'll be waiting when you step out of the elevator.
Should be said though that you need to kill all 3 really quick since you won't be able to use the elevator again until you're out of combat in 'technical terms' cause the faceless will keep coming out of the damn walls and so you might have 3-4 turns tops to kill said 3 random faceless and get the 60+ rathound leather that way.
But of course one could just try their luck in the DP elevator room and 'snatch' the skin(s) off augmented rathounds there although it can be quite a 'pain' with so many faceless 'troops' all around you.
Oh and by the way if you actually manage to go up the elevator and back down, expect plenty of faceless in 'different positions' compared to when you left, although at least the Tchortists who were still alive at the time you would go up the elevator would still be alive as well as the elevator to the DP would be one 'notch' away from arriving to your location so basically make a run for the elevator if you can!

Hrrrm so if I did make it back up, the faceless will still be in the elevator room and hostile? In that case, forget it! I basically let them kill everyone, and in fact I killed Eidan at the last possible moment to loot him, and bailed! There were TONS of faceless there when I left. I did already try what you suggested re: augmented rathounds in that fight, but it didn't drop a skin and I don't want to metagame this first run too much. The rathound skin I used was enough to give me 12% bonus to crit, so really no complaints.

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile

Hrrrm so if I did make it back up, the faceless will still be in the elevator room and hostile? In that case, forget it! I basically let them kill everyone, and in fact I killed Eidan at the last possible moment to loot him, and bailed! There were TONS of faceless there when I left. I did already try what you suggested re: augmented rathounds in that fight, but it didn't drop a skin and I don't want to metagame this first run too much. The rathound skin I used was enough to give me 12% bonus to crit, so really no complaints.

Yeah well just pointing out that the augmented rathounds seem to drop the 'highest' quality-wise rathound leather in the game, unless alpha rathounds can drop 60+ rathound leather aswell although I've yet to see that ANYWHERE.

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Yep, thank you. If I find a way to kill one in DC I will, but this is not a stealth toon so it's unlikely. I'm friendly with both factions and will prolly keep it that way as long as possible ;)

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
So, just to be clear: is there in fact another way to return to the surface other than the South Elevator? Don't tell how, just if.