Author Topic: A simple question regarding Initiative  (Read 2044 times)

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
A simple question regarding Initiative
« on: August 14, 2016, 06:44:02 pm »
Recently I felt like playing Underrail again and it got me thinking about Initiative.

So now I'm trying to make a simple calculator that will tell me the exact chance of acting first based on the Initiative of my PC and the enemy.

My question is: What happens in case of a tie? Let's say my PC has 16 Initiative and the enemy has 20. I roll 9 while the enemy rolls only 5, so we both end up with 25. What then?

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: A simple question regarding Initiative
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:57:03 pm »
I just did a few tests on the tutorial Sentry Bot.

So far it seems that either enemy always acts first or there indeed is some kind of underlying default turn order.

I was thinking that maybe the character with higher base Initiative would act first (sounds pretty logical and fair) but sadly it's not the case. Sentry Bot has base Initiative score of 14, I did test with characters that had 13, 14, and 15 and in every tie bot acted first.

Could be the order the characters are placed on the map
I tried to approach a Sentry Bot in the tutorial from 4 different directions and in every case he always acted first on a tie.

or maybe alphabetical order
I don't think so. I tried 3 different characters named "Test", "A" and even "Sentry Bot". In all cases my PC acted last.

I guess I will just count ties as acting last then. Still it would be nice if any of the developers could comment on this.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: A simple question regarding Initiative
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 09:26:48 pm »
I will count ties as acting last then, at least for now.

If anyone is interested, here are some raw numbers. I hope I didn't screw anything up.