Author Topic: "Tchort" ...Random Opinion/Analysis...  (Read 1242 times)

hayaku

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
"Tchort" ...Random Opinion/Analysis...
« on: September 30, 2016, 04:33:24 am »
Ok so I this contains no spoilers as I have not yet got inside the institute, only attended the lecture in core city...

But it seems to me that the writer/designer was trying to make a point about academic science and secular educational institutes. Specifically, that if you open your perceptions a little, it really does appear that science = its own religion; and one that worships humanity, biological life and the knowledge that these reveal.

I am a Scientist and have come to this conclusion many times myself (that my own field can be quite cultish, in its own strange way).
I particularly liked the analogy, of having street missionaries and free lectures, but then having to "line up" to get inside and become admitted. That's Science/Academia all right  :D

Anyway.... just my thoughts.   

Bjorn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: "Tchort" ...Random Opinion/Analysis...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:59:29 pm »
Hi Hayaku

I think you have a point in the similarities, as they are portrayed for example in regards to Tchort.

Sometimes the way that scientists speak about science, they resemble some religious people quite a bit, when you consider their way of speaking. Scientists may (sometimes) have a better basis for being right about certain things, but when they get "cocky" and insists that they have to automatically be right "because science", their attitude is quite the same. I think this might be a basic human behaviour that pops up once in a while, which has more to do with the persons personality, rather than being religious or scientists. So basically, I think it is just a personality trait more than anything.
Just as you will find some people with "A**-hole"-attitudes as well as some awesome people among both religious people and scientists. So I think it is a human thing.

But yeah, I find it quite amusing when some scientists criticize religion for their dogma, while they continue speaking with the exact same manners of speach. Quite ironic actually.

(And please do note that I write "some scientists" and "some religious", because not everyone is like that. Obviously.)

The idea of Tchort and their science practiced in a religious way... hints a bit (heavily) at that actually, so you could easily be right that the writer was trying to make a point. Though it is also cool in its own right, even if it was not.
Makes me think actually... We have (probably) only seen a small little part of the Underrail universe. Perhaps there could be other similar Technologically religious groups in the Underrail universe. (perhaps in a sequel).