Author Topic: What builds have you completed the game with? (ENDGAME SPOILERS)  (Read 3247 times)

Coaxl

• Zoner
    • View Profile
What builds have you completed the game with? (ENDGAME SPOILERS)
« on: November 27, 2016, 12:57:29 pm »
What builds have you completed the game with (including killing the final boss) and how do your experiences with different builds compare (both in the final fight and throughout the game)?

I'm asking because it actually took me a long time to get around to finishing a game. I have several characters that reached Tchort, but were unable to kill him - in the last case, I was actually under the impression that I had solved the mutagen puzzle when I actually didn't, and thus went into fully healthy Tchort's chamber under the mistaken belief that I'd have an easier time, but I didn't. Couldn't kill him. (There was also the psi build that I simply abandoned before the DC, although I might finish her up some time.)

Recently, however, I finally managed to finish the game. It was an assault rifle/sniper rifle build - not entirely optimal since I wanted to try out things on it that I haven't tried before (riot gear, Mercantile skill and the related feat), but it still certainly seemed like that a build like this is actually the optimal one for the Tchort fight. The sniper rifle could kill pretty much anything in 1 hit, and even though the mutagen tanks generally took two, even with W2C bullets, it was very helpful because I didn't actually have to enter significant tracts of the map to reach and destroy the tanks. The assault rifle was also insanely powerful - a 9-long burst, even with normal bullets, could kill a tentacle most of the time. The other times I tried this fight, I had much less impressively powerful characters (crossbow, sledgehammer...), and this just felt so much easier. On the other hand, this assault rifle fellow actually struggled for a while before getting established, while my psi-based character had a pretty easy time from the beginning until the point where I stopped playing her (i.e. throughout most of the non-DC parts of the game). I wonder how she would do against Tchort...

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: What builds have you completed the game with? (ENDGAME SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 02:48:24 pm »
Only with energy/chemical agent.

I took great pains early game but i got my compensation on higher levels. Both Tchort and IRIS were easy (played on normal). Not because chemenergy is strong, mind you, but because i've powergamed the hel* out of it.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:35:36 pm »
Pure Psi and smg/sniper, Tchort fight demands burst damage builds to quickly dispatch the tentacles and tchortlings before you get overwhelmed.

ssnn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:38:35 pm »
Sniper + Assault Rifles.

Sniper one-shots far-away enemies, Assault rifle is just as powerful for melee range, especially once you get its feats late game.

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 11:12:42 pm »
My first char was a crossbows char and managed to beat Tchort. That was a challenging game all the way through (played mostly unspoiled). Lots of fun.

Played a couple other chars that I never finished, a psi build and an unarmed char. Probably both would have been fine through the end game but I lost interest in them.

Recently played a heavy armor/assault rifles character and won with him also. This was one of the easiest builds despite always going last. (Maybe the unarmed character was easier, he was a terror.) I thought Deep Caverns would be horrible without stealth, but it is not if you know how the spawning mechanism works. I tried fighting Tchort without Exitus and without blowing up any mutagen tanks. Yup, burst burst burst and blooey. Very easy end fight.

Currently running through my first game on Hard with another crossbow character. I had thought to quit rather than deal with DC, but I'm probably going to give in and go for the win having gotten this far.

Phyroks

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:04:54 pm »
My 1st character when underrail released was xbow/stealth, in the end I took bit crafting to make new xbow, the fight was rather long/rng, had to play around a lot to get opening window to take out tank and then retreat, I had no chance without the adds losing regen. Think it took me nearly 100 hours to finish the game :P... was so paper as I also took the psi talent and had no points in psi. Had to rely on mines for aoe :/

Finished the game in v 1.0.0.8

120/125 persuation, 25/50 merc 360~ crit bonus.

There was not much info out on underrail so even when you tried to find out something that you were stuck with there was no info out, solved all the puzzles but mushroom cave I could not figure out, really banged my head in the wall with them, fuck I was so pissed when I finaly got it right. My new psi crafter has had way less difficulty during the play and I think he could just burst trough the last fight as hes unable to die for few turns. Will see how it goes!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:10:52 pm by Phyroks »

NEvercalled

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 06:29:37 pm »
stealth sniper/smg - very easy

tanky AS/sniper - hard ( and you cannot create good armors with just 3 int :/)

stealth psi/smg - mediocre

The easiest way to play this game is to have anything with high stealth and some good burst ( sniping or smg at point blank). However, i think, the best option is to have a possibility to kill far away dangerous enemies in the first turn.

And i didn`t finish this game with 2 characters one was only 10 perc up to the end ( i didn`t know the formula) and the second was only 8 will PSI. Both crappy

Edit:
And yea i forgot to mention.
I played on hard if it matters.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:38:25 pm by NEvercalled »