Author Topic: Underrail wiki?  (Read 166866 times)

posfan12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Underrail wiki?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 12:46:34 am »
I've had good and bad experiences with wikis. The main bad one is the GearHead wiki which got wiped accidentally. No one had a backup. :(

Pumpkins

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 01:14:10 am »
Here guys I made a Wikia page for UnderRail.
Wikia.com is rly easy to use and works fine!

http://underrail.wikia.com - I need some help to create the "home" page.

http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/UnderRail - I made this article in about 20 min, I never worked with wikipedia or wikia before. :p

Here are some examples of successful wikia pages.

http://fallout.wikia.com

http://wasteland.wikia.com
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:19:50 am by Pumpkins »

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 07:32:07 pm »
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Primary_statistics

Added a new page. Styg might want to take a look at it when he's got the time and correct any mistakes and maybe add hard facts that is not explicit in the game.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 07:51:25 pm »
Cool stuff, guys. :)

I'll help out as soon as I get done with this patch.

Ideally, I'd like to host the wiki on my site and customized the theme and all, but since I really don't have the time to do all that stuff this might be good alternative.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 12:08:20 am »
There are no traits in Underrail and the Perk page needs to be changed to Feats. I don't have permission to change the page though.

Pumpkins

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 09:19:27 am »
Guys dont panic!

I just played around yesterday to see how wikia works. You all are welcome to change everything!
just create an acc there and I will change the permition stuff

I have already one infobox. I will make more infoboxes for characters and we need a page where we can put all templates for easy and fast access.

Pumpkins

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 09:32:21 am »
Ugh, I hate Wikia. Half of the layout is filled with useless crap, unless you log in and change it to monobook layout from personal options, in which case it differs so much from wikia's standard it becomes hard to build pages that look good in both. I'm not too excited about this, but I guess it's better than nothing.

The main page looks horrible, the source code is a mess and the actual content page is located at Template:Main_Contents rather than Underrail_Wiki for some reason I cannot fathom.

Why is pretty much everything in the category namespace? What's going on with half of the links at the front page? Oh god, this is going to be a handful...

Also, permission problems: registered users cannot move pages in namespace category.
For example, http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Special:MovePage/Category:Perks - would've moved it to Category:Feats

The main page was a free/demo layout from the wikia community. I thought it would be cool to use and edit it. :p
Most of the stuff is copy/pasta from wasteland2/fallout wikia.
You can check both wikias to see how they organized everything in categories. Because we cant just list all 1000 npc names in the main page.

Thats why we need a category "NPC" where all names are listed in alphabetical order.
The "main_content" template was just a Menu I put in the Main Page with all links to the categories. In this way ppl can edit the main page and move "main_content"  menu around.

Imo we need to put only key words in a list or menu at the main page and then link to a more detailed page with a list and explanation for example; "Perk" key word links to http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Perks where we can go further and select one perk from the list.

I hope you guys understand what I mean :p and if you think it looks horrible or that I choose the wrong colors and stuff then help me to edit it! Im not a pro.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:03:50 am by Pumpkins »

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 09:35:49 am »
I think the main page is a bit too long now and a tad bit overdeveloped. The Fallout and Wasteland wiki got it right, simple and understandable.

Also, add a solid background to the pages please, the transparency hurts my eyes when I read/edit pages.

Pumpkins

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 10:38:42 am »
Yeah I understand. I will add a solid background but it will cover the good artwork piece.  :p

be be sure you make an acc there because you get more privileges by editing stuff.

posfan12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 06:33:03 pm »
Are there game files we can look at to extract descriptions of items, feats, etc.?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:22 pm »
I don't have them in separate files but I can split them into that. However, some icons are multi part with variable transparency so  that you'd have to get from the game directly.

Game text is a bit all over the place, unfortunately, and you won't be able to extract it that easily because I don't use XNA's default pipeline for anything but sound and graphics I think.

Btw, how much does Wikia actually help with creating content/layouts? I have MediaWiki installed on my site if you guys would rather work with that.

Pumpkins

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 08:21:25 pm »
like Epeli said, leave the main page edits to someone more experienced in that and just add content pages.. but before we start uploading all information we need to make infoboxes for characters,items, weapons, armors.

and we need to get the right colors.. are we going to stick with purple, black and orange??

posfan12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 09:09:23 pm »
1. I worked on the GearHead wiki for several years and was very much dismayed when one day all the data got lost and was not backed up. On the other hand, Wikia has staff on hand to fix things when they go broke. And they presumably do regular backups.
2. The GearHead wiki also suffered from large numbers of spambots that cluttered up the site with male enhancement adverts and the like. These had to be trimmed by hand by dedicated users and was a major pain in the ass. Wikia probably has better security to keep this from happening.
3. Users who already have a Wikia account for one of the many other wikis hosted there will not have to create and remember yet another user account.
4. Wikia likely also updates periodically to the latest version of MediaWiki, saving our admins from having to perform this risky maneuver.

Of course Wikia has tons of advertisements that get annoying fast.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:12:11 pm by posfan12 »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 10:17:07 pm »
I don't have time right now to make templates, etc.

I'm just asking if you're guys going to the trouble of doing it anyway, could you do it on MediaWiki that I hosted.

@epeli About point 2. do you know for a fact that MediaWiki can integrate with SMF or are you assuming?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 03:08:41 pm »
@epeli About point 2. do you know for a fact that MediaWiki can integrate with SMF or are you assuming?

http://blogs.simplemachines.org/dev/461612/SMF+MediaWiki+integration+released.html

Cool, I'll take a look.