Author Topic: Underrail wiki?  (Read 166823 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: item infobox templates!
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 03:33:58 pm »
I made some tentative item infobox templates:

http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_item for items in general
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_weapon for weapons
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_component for components
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_armor for armor

Each page has syntax help and an example how to use. Let me know what you think!
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Health_hypo here's also a practical example of a page utilizing the generic item infobox

Their code should also be quite simple to read (simple wikitables with if parser function), in case you want to modify them or make more infobox templates for specific item types.

These look pretty cool. One of the problems with the generated/crafted items such as weapons and armors is that their stats are not constant but rather depend on the quality of the items used when crafting them (or generating them in the background which uses the same process). I guess on the pages for those items there could be a few samples of the variations and a link to the blueprint page where there would be explanations how each component influences the resulting item. I could fill up the latter.

When components are concerned quality of each of these falls into certain ranged, e.g. Cave Hopper leather caps at 25 quality or something. I can fill up this exact range when you guys make a page for the component.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Underrail wiki?
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 01:56:47 am »
Yeah, those infoboxes just mimic the in-game infobox.
I figured they could be used for samples of items with dynamic quality. Their stat ranges and other metainfo such as stackability, vendors who sell it, etc. could be explained on the item page after the infobox. Or the infoboxes themselves could just contain the stat ranges?

Aaaand how should we paginate items with complex crafting recipes?
Probably have a page for the main item, eg. 5mm Hawker and redirect 5mm Hawker LS, XM and LS XM to it. Then list all the possible optional components for the item and their effects, OR just link into the blueprint to avoid redundant redundancy.

Speaking of which, blueprint infobox would probably be the next one. Any ideas on how to do that?
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_blueprint is what I came up with, but it needs more work to look acceptable.

In the Hawker case I think it would just be fine to link to "Hawker" pistol and then mention the main variations (caliber) and the main part required (Hawker pistol frame) and for all the extensions etc just link to the blueprint. Then redirect all the possible hawkers to hawker page.

About the blueprint infobox, you can add icons and names from the in game blueprint (I can provide you with icons). For optional components you'll want to specify the difficulty modifier.

Btw, I tried that SMF-MediaWiki integration and couldn't get it to work. I'll try some more tomorrow, but it seems that extension hasn't been updated for quite some time.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 07:10:02 pm »
Looks awesome. That should definitely be the default look.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 03:50:54 pm »
I've got MediaWiki up a while back. You can access it at www.underrail.com/wiki.

So if you're up for it, make an account there and I'll give you the rights so you try can migrate the css, templates and what content currently is on wikia there.

EDIT: Couldn't make the SMF integration to work, so we'll go for separate accounts for now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:52:30 pm by Styg »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 07:52:55 pm »
- "$wgStylePath/common/images/wiki.png"
- done
- they are

I've given you the 'bureaucrat' rights. That enough?

posfan12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 12:50:18 am »
Styg - Do you use a tool to edit/view item descriptions and stats? It would be helpful for anyone working on the wiki.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 01:50:44 am »
Styg - Do you use a tool to edit/view item descriptions and stats? It would be helpful for anyone working on the wiki.

Yes, of course. But I can't provide you this tool (technical and other reasons). Sorry.

posfan12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 02:33:05 am »
Would you be willing to dump this info to a text file(s)?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 03:02:41 am »
Going to need admin rights to get the wiki started - to change the Mediawiki interface pages (css/sidebar) and to protect pages (I'll make some special internal templates).

Other than that, I'm perfectly fine with just user rights, but it might be a good idea to have some active admins on your wiki, in case of vandalism.

Gave you admin rights.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 03:13:15 am »
Would you be willing to dump this info to a text file(s)?

Will see if there's an easy way to do this. Can't promise anything, though.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 02:31:19 pm »
Good job. Copied the image.

I posted about the wiki around the social channel so hopefully that will get us a couple more contributors.

Btw, if you guys want to make a page about something but are not 100% clear on how it's working in terms of numbers and exact mechanics, go ahead and do it anyways. I'll be scanning through the wiki regularly and adding/correcting that sort of stuff.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 08:32:18 am »
Mighty fine work on the new main page!

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 09:06:19 am »
I'll checked the main yesterday and today after work I'll try to register an account and maybe add some stuff... but don't quote me on that :P. It's Easter so I won't be very... free.

But yeah, great work!

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 01:16:22 pm »
Had to disable account creation because of the bot invasion.  >:(

PM me or post here if you want to contribute and I'll create an account for you. I know it's not ideal, but it's all I can do until I deal with this.

Btw, does anyone know a good way to nuke all these bots?

Infiltrator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2013, 12:30:34 pm »
Can't wait for the wiki to be filled out, I like being able to plan out my character ahead of time :)