Author Topic: Protectorate and Psionics  (Read 2433 times)

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Protectorate and Psionics
« on: March 02, 2018, 11:31:24 pm »
Lore-wise the Protectorate prefers to rely on technology and brute force instead of the power of the mind, since they have the CAU for chemical and biological warfare why they don't have a special division for psionic soldiers? as a military organization it would be unwise to turn away a potential branch of specialized troopers which can fit different roles depending of their traits.

Perhaps in Expedition they will make a show or are they still afraid of the pill?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:33:52 pm by Yonaiker »

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Protectorate and Psionics
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 03:10:09 am »
Quiet possibly because they value physical strength and because pills physically weaken you?

Or maybe there is a lore reason for it? (like South being a primary psionic research center for biocorp, which does seems to be true from the hollowed ground research notes)

Edit even more:
ON SECOND THOUGHT, Most legitimate military organization in Underrail does not utilize psionics. Foundry guards? Primary 3 core city factions? Protectorates? Even SGS guards.

Perhaps the rate of psionics turning into lunatics were greater than we initially thought...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:22:11 am by reinhark »
Self-proclaimed great cheater. Frequent game breaker. Liberator of limitations.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 04:25:19 am »
Actually I do see a reason for it - if there's no viable technological defense against mind reading it make sense the higher up wouldn't want a psi squad. Why risk having your underlings read your mind when the regular troops + chem squad already does the job? Lore wise it seems any regular Joe with the right gene could have the potential to be a psi user and it's very hard to contain and/or control that kind of power. High tech gears + training could be held tightly with power but not psi. In fact it's a bit strange how there isn't more anti-psi tech in Underrail (anti-psi field generator, psychic nullifier collar/straight jacket, mind reading resistant/immune helmet, etc).

I'm actually more surprise how there isn't any cyborg and/or biological augmentation since BioCorp already seems to done tons of research on them.

Edit: in most media mind readers are usually treated w/ contempt and/or suspicion. With the Lunatics wreaking havoc I can see the general Underrail population being very wary of psi users, a la X-men.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:34:42 am by destroyor »

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 06:02:12 am »
In fact it's a bit strange how there isn't more anti-psi tech in Underrail (anti-psi field generator, psychic nullifier collar/straight jacket, mind reading resistant/immune helmet, etc).

I'm actually more surprise how there isn't any cyborg and/or biological augmentation since BioCorp already seems to done tons of research on them.

Well, I think to restraint a psi users we can use a very simple method: Booze him up 24/7.
Considering cost of military hardware(cost of home security is not a joke) I think it is much better investment to keep the psionics boozed up rather than buying up expensive machines to keep them down.

As for cybernetic argumentation, we have already seen plenty of them. That one guy had a cybernetic eye. One of oddities you can find is a cybernetic part.
And as a rumor, I've heard that future characters from north underrail may have cybernetics.

BUT, as a solder or scavenger I think large, combat cybernetics are not very effective. From what I have seen, every item you have can and will break with enough uses. Having one mechanical limb in this world must be costly and require heavy, constant maintenance.
Self-proclaimed great cheater. Frequent game breaker. Liberator of limitations.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 03:28:48 pm »
Well, I think to restraint a psi users we can use a very simple method: Booze him up 24/7.
The Dude as Temporal Manipulation trainer, then?  Sounds good.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 08:22:38 pm »
In fact it's a bit strange how there isn't more anti-psi tech in Underrail (anti-psi field generator, psychic nullifier collar/straight jacket, mind reading resistant/immune helmet, etc).

Edit: in most media mind readers are usually treated w/ contempt and/or suspicion. With the Lunatics wreaking havoc I can see the general Underrail population being very wary of psi users, a la X-men.

IIRC the crafting text of psionic headbands it says they can amplify the user's psionic schools as well they can be used as inhibitors, so it means there is at least one basic method to restrain unstable psionic users.

I'd really want to see cybernetic implants probably in future underrail releases, not like the ones Buzzer and Balor uses (They look mostly rudimentary and just for sake to look robotic), but the type that improves your combat performance, Protectorate would seriously go crazy to make cyborg supersoldiers.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 11:33:49 pm »
Yeah right now only Faceless gets the good stuff. If cybernetic implants are available to the player it would be cool to see faction specific implants in addition to the regular stuff.