Author Topic: A few ideas (new throwing weapon, vanity, psionic and etc)  (Read 3300 times)

TheGrayKing88

• Noob
    • View Profile
A few ideas (new throwing weapon, vanity, psionic and etc)
« on: April 25, 2018, 04:07:56 am »
I love this game but i think something is missing and other things can improve, so i want to share these few ideas:

1.- the smoke bomb

I like the stealth and ninja like characters and although the flashbangs are effective they are not the quietest weapons so I think the smoke bombs would be more appropriate also that these could be improved by adding some poison.
The idea is that they work like gas grenades leaving clouds of smoke that lower the perception of the enemies a lot (and why not, doing a little damage) inside the cloud and when leaving they have less accuracy for some turns. Of course, the level of perception and the use of googles can affect how much smoke can lower the accuracy, and the gas mask if it can damage or poison us or the enemy.

2.- Costumes and role play

Looking at the doctor's suit, the robe, the mission "steal the shield emitters" in the core city and the different factions in the game I think you could add some clothes instead of fabrics to some armors making the enemies believe that you are from their faction or another person, all this according to your level of persuasion, and as with stealth they can stop believing over time or attacking them.
And thinking about that I think you can add the feat: role play, which in addition to improving your disguise, you may also believe it and obtain bonuses and penalties in your skills depending on the suit you are wearing, for example with the the suit of doctor the level of biology and chemistry goes up but in mechanics and electronics they go down.
With this not only do I refer to something "useful", if you want you can have a crazy scientist approve of bullets as a character that really looks like one or wearing a robe a magician who can withstand the blows for his hidden armor.

3.- Light and Shadow Psionics

For the dark atmosphere that the rails have, I think that the psychic abilities of light and shadows fit very well but not as damage abilities but as tactical tricks and with a great affinity with other psionic abilities.

The light psionic abilities that I propose are:
1.- flash of light.- Same as flashbangs but only stun them a bit
2.- aura of light.- immediately detects hidden enemies, increases dodge and evasion at close range (looking closely at the light is not a good idea) but in a dark area at long distance the evasion is low (it is a bright objective to shoot)
3.- luminous vision.- Low accuary penalty for smoke bombs and dark clouds.
4. - illuminate the objective. - The effect of light aura for an objective would not be considered as aggression to the objective but it benefits or harms the evasion according to the environment and distance.

Shadow skills are very similar to light but at the same time different:
1.- dark cloud.- similar to smoke bombs but they do not hurt
2.- aura of shadows.- in stealth you are less visible, out of stealth increases your evasion at long distance (you are real or a shadow) but in luminous areas your evasion drops and dodges at close range (a walking shadow under the light is very notorious)
3.- dark vision.- low the effect of flashbangs and flash of light
4.-obscuring the objective.- the effect of the aura of shadows for an objective, as in the ability of light is not considered aggression and helps or harms according to the environment and distance.

The feats for these psionics can be proper for light, shadows or both and in conjunction with the other psionics to get their greatest potential:
1.-Adept of light (only if you do not have shadows psionics)
increases the power of "light flash" a little more than flashbangs, with the "aura of light" you emit a small flash of light that can sometimes stun targets close to being attacked (same to "illuminate objective"), increase the power of the "luminous vison" and obtain the effect of "dark vison" in it.

2.-Adept of shadows (only if you do not have ligth psionics)
increases the power and area of the "dark cloud", "the aura of shadows" leaves small dark clouds when you are attacked (the same with "obscure objective), increases the "dark vision" and obtains the effect of "luminous vision"

3.- eclipse adept (only if you have both psionic light and shadow)
similar to the feat "Thermodynamicity" increases the power and cost of the psonicos of light after invoking a psionico of shadows and vice versa.

4.- luminous force (only with the feats: adept of light and force user)
the telekinetic punch increases in distance and creates a flash that can stun others nearby, the force field lasts 1 turn more and discovers hidden enemies, the force emission can stun sometimes (psonicos with yellow or light blue tones)

5.- dark force (only with the feats: adept of shadows and force user)
the telekinetic punch increases in strength and creates a dark cloud, the force field lasts 1 turn less but creates dark clouds to hide, the force emission increases in power. (psionics with red tones)

6.- fear of light (only with the feats: adept of light, mental subversion and any Thought Control psi ability)
any flash you produce has the effect of mental subversion and randomly a Thought Control psi skill.

7.- fear of shadows (only with the feats: adept of shadows, mental subversion and any Thought Control psi ability)
any dark cloud that produces the effect of mental subversion and randomly a Thought Control psi skill.

8.- photothermicity (any feat of light and / or shadows and any metathermic feat)
flashes of light cause fire damage and fire attacks cause flashes of light, dark clouds cause cold and chilled damage and cold attacks release dark clouds.
the effects of other feats are preserved.

I have other ideas but for the moment I think that these are more than enough for the moment.

Yaruj

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: A few ideas (new throwing weapon, vanity, psionic and etc)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:50:19 am »
I like the cosplay idea. Maybe you even could take some quests from the factions which are hostile towards your character.

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 10:16:25 am »
Some nice ideas, we already had an idea for smoke grenades, but there are some technical difficulties around that, for now we are busy with the expansion, after that we can look into it again, the other ideas are also neat.

Mercon

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 11:52:45 am »
That's not psionics that's fantasy magic. Psionics is supposed to be sci-fi magic with a mind power twist on it. It usually grounded somewhat in reality and you can manipulate some fundamental forces with your mind to produce supernatural effects. How can you explain the ability to manipulate light and darkness with your mind? New psionic powers that manipulate time are pushing this far enough. Besides psionics are based on common tropes and some things just don't make sense.

LJ40

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 02:52:59 pm »
How can you explain the ability to manipulate light and darkness with your mind?

How can you explain conjuring balls of super-heated gas or ice shards with your mind? I fail to see how those are OK but summoning light or dark is too fantasy based.

That being said, I think the game is just fine with the three (soon to be four) branches of psionics it already has (will have).

Mercon

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 09:43:44 pm »
Shadow powers are something more suited in a vampire setting. Heat and cold psi powers are old tropes of sci-fi and the "science" behind them is likely explained by creative writers many times. Something along the lines of exciting base elemental substances to make them heat up or cool down, so it's a form of telekinesis working on an atom scale. You probably could apply this to light as well but once you can manipulate light waves with your mind is there anything you can not do? Why not death rays of light? Why not the very composition of your target's body? It's a rabbit hole and you have to draw the line somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:00:05 pm by Mercon »

Mercon

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 12:01:30 am »
Not worried just saying my piece. I believe time warp school will be the last psi the devs will add. And I agree that you can explain almost anything imaginable - that's the nature of fiction I'm just saying that some things work better than the rest in any given setting.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 01:16:44 am »
Heated gas explains very simple - you just overheat ait near you, which is gas, or combination of gases.

LJ40

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 10:41:10 am »
Heated gas explains very simple - you just overheat ait near you, which is gas, or combination of gases.
Well, can't argue with that bit of science. ::)

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 10:07:35 pm »
I suppose the point was that metathermics don't need to conjure matter like volatile gases out of nothing, "only" scifimagically alter temperatures.
Hmph. What do you reckon the ambient humidity is for someone to be able to conjure two or three spears of ice in just a few seconds, or - worse yet - create a giant ice sphere?  It's UnderRail, not UnderFlorida, yo!

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 08:42:47 pm »
Lol.
We don't know how high ceiling is in caves and tonnels - there could be big volume of air, so he actually could do that.