Author Topic: Black screen on launching, Steam version  (Read 1556 times)

Black Angel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Black screen on launching, Steam version
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:51:14 am »
Hi y'all. So, my laptop I used mainly for gaming finally died. I'm now using my family PC that's much older than my laptop, and it's actually non-fitting for even mid-end gaming, but at least it worked for the most part and, for example, runs Fallout 2 and its TC mods decently.

After a while, I kinda want to get back to Underrail, but sadly upon launching the game I can hear the main menu music, but it's all black screen. I know there was a similar thread describing similar problem here, and if it helps, this PC have no anti-virus whatsoever (it doesn't really hold stuff of much importance), and the native resolution is 1440x900. I tried changing the resolution to 1280x720, which was the resolution I used when playing with my laptop, but it doesn't work at all, too.

Please halp me

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Black screen on launching, Steam version
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:30:31 pm »
Any chance that old desktop is running an older O/S, like Windows 7?  If it's running an old enough O/S it could be possible that you need to update your .NET

Black Angel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:27:01 am »
Any chance that old desktop is running an older O/S, like Windows 7?  If it's running an old enough O/S it could be possible that you need to update your .NET
Yeah, it's Windows 7. It has .NET Framerwork version 4.7.1 installed as recent as of February this year, is it updated enough for Underrail?

Black Angel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:56:05 pm »
.NET 4.7.1 should be ok. The game runs on .NET 4.0 and XNA 4.0 Refresh, see if you have the latter installed. You should find the installers for both in the game's folder under _CommonRedist.
Finally! Launched normally, and worked as supposed to even though I changed the resolution to 1440x900 fullscreen. Thanks a lot, epeli, my man!

Hope this thread helps those who happens to have this exact same or similar problem. It's sad the thread I referred to ends with the guy having to refund his copy since there doesn't seem to be any solution. :(