Author Topic: Question about the Beast [Foundry quest spoilers, obviously]  (Read 2542 times)

Cynical

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
So, this is a really silly question, but in the "kill the beast" quest, there's an entry in the journal for "find another way to kill the beast...".  Is it possible to kill him through conventional combat via Neural Overload?  I didn't try to hard and don't have a save at a convenient place to try it, but a part of me is curious about the possibility of Neural Overloading it to death; with only 810 HP, it wouldn't take too many rounds to do it at a high level, and that does bypass every resistance in the game...

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the Beast [Foundry quest spoilers, obviously]
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 03:51:59 am »
Dunno about NO, but they made it immune to other attacks for sure, except there was bug\oversight with which it could be killed in previous version.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:37:59 pm »
So, this is a really silly question, but in the "kill the beast" quest, there's an entry in the journal for "find another way to kill the beast...".  Is it possible to kill him through conventional combat via Neural Overload?  I didn't try to hard and don't have a save at a convenient place to try it, but a part of me is curious about the possibility of Neural Overloading it to death; with only 810 HP, it wouldn't take too many rounds to do it at a high level, and that does bypass every resistance in the game...

I doubt you can kill it with Neural Overload, but even if you could, you would end up breaking the whole quest probably. There is only one intended way to kill the Beast.

If you're having trouble figuring out what that is, here's some help (semi-spoilers): Capture a borer in a dog crate, get an impure chromium blade, and take both items to the first biologist you meet in the game.

Cynical

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:04:05 am »
I've beaten the quest before, was just curious as to what was possible.  It occurred to me after finishing the game that there might be a clever "backdoor" way of killing him, but I didn't have any saves where I was at a high level and the Beast was still alive.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 04:13:59 pm »
Nope, you can't kill it in direct combat.
Isn't it still possible with importing?

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 06:04:25 pm »
Nope, you can't kill it in direct combat. Historically there have been a number of bugs that allowed you kill it directly, but doing that just broke the quest.

Ah, that feeling of satisfaction after killing this thing with but a knife. I'll cherish it forever

Cynical

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 07:56:37 pm »
All in all Underrail tries to avoid cheap stuff like invulnerable NPCs as much as possible, so it doesn't even have a robust system for making them. Feels like there's always some buggy weakness in them. There are only a few invulnerable NPCs, all for in-univese reasons. No common folk with magical "essential" mode here.
This is exactly why it's so weird to hear that Styg tried to make the beast totally invulnerable in combat in the first place.  It seems like it'd be more "Underrail" to just have a check of "is it dead?  If so, go talk to the mayor and get your reward," and if you found some exploity way to kill it without using Gloria, good for you!

(Or maybe I just like my Neural Overload hammer a bit too much.  Ghosts in Hollow Earth lab got you down?  Neural Overload!  Silent Isle a problem?  Neural Overload!  Bladelings have huge resistances that you can't punch through?  Neural Overload!  Tentacle god is resisting half of your damage?  Craft yourself a nice shield and Neural Overload!  It's the "solve my problems for me" button for so many problems.)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 09:49:15 pm »
Don't tease me, I saved psi build for Expedition... :-\

Cynical

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 10:33:53 pm »
Don't tease me, I saved psi build for Expedition... :-\
Oh man, if Neural Overload is tempting, wait until you get your hands on Locus of Control.

Somewhere in Deep Caverns...
Greater Coil Spider: "Oh, an explorer!  Time for a party!  Zzzzaap!
Coil Spider 2: "Good shot, George!  Look, he's stunned, and you charged me up!  Zzzaap!  Get him, Cleve"
Coil Spider 3: "I'm all charged up, Jim!  Zzzzaaaap!"
Underrail guy: "Locus of Control, Psi-cognitive Interruption"
Greater Coil Spider: :(
Coil Spider 2: :(
Coil Spider 3: :(