Author Topic: Do something about Cryo Shield?  (Read 1907 times)

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Do something about Cryo Shield?
« on: August 02, 2018, 12:44:57 pm »
http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cryo-Shield

This ability always felt weak, compares very unfavorably to http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pseudo-spatial_Projection for one, and any other defensive measures, it's not that it isn't  balanced with its very low AP/psi cost (it is), but more that it feels like a waste of a psi power slot.

I think it would do much better as something that offers little to no physical protection, procs slightly more often, and does something active to your attackers, like it Chills them, or even better, casts Cryokinesis at something like 20% of your Metathermics skill at them.
Another option would be to make it much more costly as far as AP/psi and have it offer resistance to cold and immunity to freezing and chilling debuffs while it's active, somewhat similar to Exothermic Aura, with careful balance to not impact certain Lunatic mobs too much unless you've invested heavily in the right direction.

If Cryokinetic Orb takes inspiration from D2's Frozen Orb, the Cryo Shield could certainly take more inspiration from the D2 Frozen/Chilling/etc Shields :)

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Do something about Cryo Shield?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 01:37:17 pm »
it feels like a waste of a psi power slot.
What does that mean?  You can learn all the psi abilities if your skills are high enough, there's not some limited number of slots like a Vancian wizard.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 02:43:43 pm »
it feels like a waste of a psi power slot.
What does that mean?  You can learn all the psi abilities if your skills are high enough, there's not some limited number of slots like a Vancian wizard.
Every psi school has 8 abilities, that's what I'm talking about.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 03:37:38 pm »
Every psi school has 8 abilities, that's what I'm talking about.
Oh, yeah.  Gotcha.

I did find it quite useful in the Lurker base, first playthrough before I learned where everything was. It does a really great job mitigating those knife attack bursts when someone jumps you from the shadows.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:39:00 pm »
Vancian wizard

What the hell is this thing? I here this here and there and have no idea what is it, can't google anything about it.

LJ40

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 10:54:47 pm »
Vancian wizard

What the hell is this thing? I here this here and there and have no idea what is it, can't google anything about it.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Vancian_magic