Author Topic: Biolocation is functionally different when used by player or NPCs - please unify  (Read 1584 times)

Creaphis

• Noob
    • View Profile
When enemies use bilocation and spawn in dopplegangers, they get to attack immediately before the player gets another turn. When the player casts bilocation, the dopplegangers don't act until after the enemies' next turn. This is inconsistent. The simplest way to resolve this and make them mechanically consistent would be to change enemy dopplegangers so that they don't get to move or attack until the player has had one turn. This would also make it possible for the player to respond to the mental breakdown + bilocation combo before dying immediately.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Hmm... I am fairly certain that on my first build--a psy gizmos guy in heavy armour, I was able to get to move before them... maybe I am missing something. Maybe you have really low Initiative? Don't worry, somebody who knows way more than me will post soon here.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Maybe you have really low Initiative?

Actually, it's exactly the opposite.
Units that enter combat are added at the end of initiative queue.
If players rolls higer ini than enemy and casts bilocation on him, enemy will be next one to move and doppel will move last.

Another scenario:
Players rolls higher ini and makes his move. Enemy moves and casts bilocation on player. Dopple gets added at the end of ini queue. Now it's doppel's turn, he does his kung-fu and turn ends. New turn starts and player moves again.

If player rolls lower ini than enemy bilocator, (s)he will be able to move before doppelganger.

Creaphis

• Noob
    • View Profile
Okay thanks, I wouldn't have guessed that. This is still a poor implementation because in the player's mind "initiative" just determines who gets the first turn and then it's completely forgotten. When someone summons a doppelganger it feels completely random whether it gets a "free" attack round or not. This is also a design that punishes players for having high initiative. Instead of being placed last in the initiative order, doppelgangers should be placed in the order just in front of whatever summoned them (so that everything else gets a turn to act first).