Author Topic: Precognition should increase Detection  (Read 3822 times)

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Precognition should increase Detection
« on: September 17, 2018, 05:43:06 am »
If you think about it, if you received a vision of being stung by a Death Crawler four seconds before it happens you'd be pretty damn sure there was a Death Crawler around ;p

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Precognition should increase Detection
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:12:02 am »
That makes me think of that (wonderfully terrible) movie Next, with Nicolas Cage. Hadn't really considered Precognition giving that much lead time - sort of figured since it just improved your dodge and evasion a little it was more like a small fraction of a second.  The only real problem I see that would cause is it would be a way to partly make up for dumping Perception and not equipping special goggles. The more abilities you make that cover for deficits in skills, stats, or gear, the more you homogenize the effective mechanics and move toward a One True Build scenario.

Dunno. Psi is so powerful it's a tough sell to try to buff anything ;)  But on the other hand, anything to keep those frackin' Death Stalkers out of the player's face...

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:19:48 am »
That makes me think of that (wonderfully terrible) movie Next, with Nicolas Cage. Hadn't really considered Precognition giving that much lead time - sort of figured since it just improved your dodge and evasion a little it was more like a small fraction of a second.  The only real problem I see that would cause is it would be a way to partly make up for dumping Perception and not equipping special goggles. The more abilities you make that cover for deficits in skills, stats, or gear, the more you homogenize the effective mechanics and move toward a One True Build scenario.

Dunno. Psi is so powerful it's a tough sell to try to buff anything ;)  But on the other hand, anything to keep those frackin' Death Stalkers out of the player's face...
Running a 10 PER build with q150 Motion Detection NVGs and I still get ganked by Death Stalkers on Dominating. Its utterly enraging; I feel like I should have stuck to a super heavy metal armor build with 90%+ mechanical resist.

That being said, many things don't work the way the flavor text says it should, so I'm not expecting a buff to Precognition. Though its 25 Psi/Turn cost is not exactly trivial to keep it on either...

Now that I think about it, it should buff initiative too, if you're willing to pay the 25 psi upkeep.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:23:37 am by newageofpower »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:57:02 am »
Now that I think about it, it should buff initiative too, if you're willing to pay the 25 psi upkeep.
While thematically reasonable, how would that work, do you suppose? AFAIK, right now initiative is determined at the moment you enter combat, and is set for the duration of the combat. So unless there's a mechanical change allowing initiative to change after Turn0, then you'd have to throw it up before you manually start combat - but if you do that, you go first anyway - or walk into harm's way.  I don't offhand see a graceful way to do it.  Maybe give it a aura effect with near-0 cost when in real-time mode, and only trigger the buff and effects when you enter turn-based?  Death stalkers would still be a PITA since attacking from stealth gives +100 initiative, IIRC.  So, no, that's not a good fix either.  I got nothin'.

Well, except this glum news - with quad-plated metal armor, metal boots, and a metal helmet (only ~120 qual, so not nearly maxed out) Death Stalkers still put Crawler Poison and Hyperallergenic on when they attack from stealth, so unless you go really high CON for Thick Skull, you're still going to be taking a beating one way or another. Regen carrier vest helps a lot though; it's not a medicine and doesn't trigger the Hyperallergenic damage.  And of course if you lead with Irongut the damage is only like 20 so you can afford to pop antidotes to block the stuns.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:01:38 am by TheAverageGortsby »

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 01:24:41 pm »
Just walk in the heaviest regenerative tungsten armour you can make. That's how you take on spider-scorpion things.

PS: ops, I see that was already discussed.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:26:25 pm by HulkOSaurus »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 01:51:54 pm »
I can't say I did all figths with DC without reloads, but pretty much most of them - yes.
Except 2-3 places where there are 5-6 of them.
Melee, crossbow.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 05:46:45 pm »
You know, you can also use bandages while all of them are hiding.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 04:11:58 am »
My crossbow chick has a detection of over 600 and the fuckers still sometimes see me before I see them.

edit:  its 657
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:17:57 am by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 11:15:30 am »
600+ detection? Impressive.

With that number they can only see you first if you run stright in them.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 05:11:04 pm »
600+ detection? Impressive.

With that number they can only see you first if you run stright in them.

Nope, sometimes I'll detect them and they're already red-eyed and coming at me.  Granted she has high movement speed.  If I move, stop, move, stop, etc, I'll see them when they're still green. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 05:30:40 pm »
Nope, sometimes I'll detect them and they're already red-eyed and coming at me.
What's your character's effective Stealth, if you don't mind? Obviously it's well above their instant detection threshold but not high enough to pass close by, and I'm curious as to what that number is.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 05:32:50 am »
It's 343 or 363 with all my stuff going, so mid 250's normally, give or take.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 12:46:48 pm »
You just shouldn't run right into them, observe their probable location from afar.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 05:07:20 pm »
Funny, nobody asked if the guy actually WAS in stealth)

The thing about stealth is that if one of the opponents hides than he has a very large advantage over the one that doesn't and will probably be able to get a first strike. So your detection matters only if you both in stealth.

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 06:17:48 pm »
My non-heavy armor builds are stealthed whenever not walking in known safe zones.