Author Topic: Will the game ever be available for Mac/Linux?  (Read 98456 times)

Diggfinger

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Will the game ever be available for Mac/Linux?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 07:48:02 pm »
Hey guys,

I really really want to play this game but I run a Mac, and I'm really really clueless about how wine works.  This looks so complicated!  I'm not really a gamer, or technical, so most of the posts don't make much sense...winetricks?  I managed to get the demo running just by downloading the preloaded one from cplr (thanks!).  For the layman, is there a way to get the full version going?  I don't have steam or anything like that either and would prefer to not get one if possible.

Yeah, as I said above the empty wrapper from CPLR also works for the full version (from GOG.com). It has all the "Winetricks" installed needed. If you dont know how to use Wineskin Wrappers just do a quick Google search.

However, I keep having sound issues. The game is playable but it would be cool to get a solution to that...

Cala

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 01:49:15 am »
Thank you! I will give it a try. That's too bad about the sound, though. 

ShadowRun

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 04:16:21 am »
There is another recent report of getting the game working on Linux here on UnderRail forum and with a more detailed post on the GOG forum (looks like the same author).

Cala

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 11:28:36 am »
So I've got that wineskin wrapper working, and aside from the sound issues, I'm also getting a lot of lag.  Not every click but about 1 out of 5 takes time to process, if I set a character walking, it'll freeze and then they'll be halfway there. Pretty annoying when you're trying to stealth about!  Anyone else have this issue or suggestions?  My MacBook has plenty of space and memory and I don't run a ton of other things, if anything.  Still on 10.9.5 though, I can't see that being an issue as this game is not brand new.   Sorry I'm pretty new to this stuff!

NoSFeRaTU

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 04:01:45 pm »
Styg, please consider to port the game from xna to fna (https://fna-xna.github.io/). There are not much work required for this, but it will allow to provide binaries for linux/macos.

Currently I'm playing the game through wine without any issues. But it is a bit tricky to setup so I doubt many can do it properly.

cunningandvalor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 06:25:45 pm »
Nos, would you be willing to provide a step-by-step wine tutorial for this game? As you're aware, myself and several other players have been begging for Styg and his team to port to Mac/Linux for forever (there are tons of solutions, it's not that hard and most of us are willing to give them money to do it, to no avail) and it's still super unlikely we will ever see it happen. I've offered to pay for someone to just figure out how to make the wineskin work properly and put it up for download or write a detailed tutorial. I backed this game way back in the Desura days and have only played it for maybe an hour or two here and there on my girlfriend's laptop. Hook us up and I'll be happy to Paypal you some cash.

cunningandvalor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 08:16:38 pm »
@epeli, I sincerely hope you're right and I still have hope, it's just been so long. The little time I spent with the game was amazing, but I've been feeling lately like it's just never going to happen. I'm willing to pay for it, so there must be other people that want to pay for it, so according to Adam Smith the invisible hand of the market should just make it exist haha. :)

NoSFeRaTU

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 10:07:07 pm »
Nos, would you be willing to provide a step-by-step wine tutorial for this game? As you're aware, myself and several other players have been begging for Styg and his team to port to Mac/Linux for forever (there are tons of solutions, it's not that hard and most of us are willing to give them money to do it, to no avail) and it's still super unlikely we will ever see it happen. I've offered to pay for someone to just figure out how to make the wineskin work properly and put it up for download or write a detailed tutorial. I backed this game way back in the Desura days and have only played it for maybe an hour or two here and there on my girlfriend's laptop. Hook us up and I'll be happy to Paypal you some cash.
This step-by-step guide is for Gentoo with Xorg and GOG version of underrail.
So commands related to package installing will be different for your destribution.
If you doesn't using X.Org X Server, than separate xsession trick is obviously unavailable to you.

0) you need wine with 32bit support, on gentoo you can install it like this:
echo "app-emulation/wine abi_x86_32" > /etc/portage/package.use/wine
emerge -av wine

On another distribution you must find required steps yourself.

1) We will be using separated wineprefix for this game, so we are making directory for wineprefix and setup environment. In this example wineprefix path is in /home/nosferatu/.wineprefix/underrail, you can choose anything you like instead:
mkdir /home/nosferatu/.wineprefix
export WINEPREFIX="/home/nosferatu/.wineprefix/underrail"
export WINEARCH=win32

2) init this wineprefix:
wine wineboot

3) install dependencies, for simplicity we will be using winetricks script:
wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks -O /tmp/winetricks
chmod +x /tmp/winetricks
/tmp/winetricks corefonts
/tmp/winetricks tahoma
/tmp/winetricks dotnet40
/tmp/winetricks xna40

4) install the game (in this example is GOG version installer of 1.0.1.10):
wine setup_underrail_2.8.0.12.exe

GOG installer can complain at the end of the installation about already installed dotnet and various runtime errors. Just ignore them and after all are finished just exit the installer.

5) configuring wine:
winecfg

On the Graphics page:
 a) Check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows"
 b) If you want to play the game in window then also check "Emulate a virtual desktop and desired resolution". In the game settings keep fullscreen checkbox enabled.

6) create startup file:
 a) If you want to play in windowed mode (or if your window manager plays nice with fullscreen applications):
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

GAMEPREFIX="/home/nosferatu/.wineprefix/underrail"
GAMEPATH="GOG Games/UnderRail"

cd "${GAMEPREFIX}/drive_c/${GAMEPATH}"
WINEPREFIX="${GAMEPREFIX}" WINEARCH=win32 wine "c:/${GAMEPATH}/underrail.exe"

b) If you want to play in fullscreen mode with separated xsession:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

GAMEPREFIX="/home/nosferatu/.wineprefix/underrail"
GAMEPATH="GOG Games/UnderRail"

cd "${GAMEPREFIX}/drive_c/${GAMEPATH}"
WINEPREFIX="${GAMEPREFIX}" WINEARCH=win32 xinit wine "c:/${GAMEPATH}/underrail.exe" -- :1

Also make sure your ~/.xinitrc does not prevent you running wine. For example, if there are you are using case switching then you must include wine switch with "wine $@" command.

P.S. If you receive message like "Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework " then most likely you are using graphics drivers without S3TC support. Most open-source drivers like nouveau doesn't include this (patent issues), so you must to install txc_dxtn (32bit version) to resolve this. On gentoo you can do this with:
echo "media-libs/libtxc_dxtn abi_x86_32" > /etc/portage/package.use/libtxc_dxtn
emerge -av libtxc_dxtn

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 12:01:30 pm by NoSFeRaTU »

NoSFeRaTU

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 11:37:52 am »
cunningandvalor, I updated my previous post with step-by-step process of running underrail under wine. I hope it helps. If you have any questions please ask.

cunningandvalor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 05:32:29 pm »
@Nos, you are the man. Thanks!

Jabberwok

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 08:50:10 am »
Can anyone confirm that Nos's method solves the sound stuttering issue on Mac? Don't really have time to test it right now...

isimonov

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 10:19:42 pm »
OK.. first one is done. This is just an empty Wineskin app bundle with all the necessary winetricks. "Show Package Contents" and open the Wineskin.app there. Use the Install Software button to install your copy. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5044101/Underrail%20%28Empty%29.zip

Here's a version with the demo pre-installed, to see if it works for you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5044101/Underrail%20Demo.zip

I like to try this way, but links is dead :( Can sombody bring it to live again? Great thnx!

lodhankelly

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 12:26:21 pm »
hello. i love this game. but my brother have mac-pro. is there is availiblity of this game on mac-pro ?  :-\

lettysevy

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 06:25:47 am »
Hello. This game is Awesome. But i too want to know about its availablity on Mac-pro. Thank You

aratuk

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 08:05:58 am »
Hello. This game is Awesome. But i too want to know about its availablity on Mac-pro. Thank You

I've found that I'm now able to run Underrail on Mac in a Wineskin using engine WS9Wine2.6 (the latest available in a Wineskin as of this posting) and only one winetrick: dotnet462. This is a newer engine and newer version of Microsoft .Net than it appears people in this thread were using previously, which might be why it doesn't need additional winetricks and I'm not having problems with the audio. I'm running macOS 10.12.6.

You may need to click "Update Winetricks" for dotnet462 to be available. Also, in the screen options, I did need to check "Use Mac Driver Instead of X11" for the window to have proper borders.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:08:09 am by aratuk »