Author Topic: I wish I had more skill points  (Read 1646 times)

Zalpha

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
I wish I had more skill points
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:39:52 am »
I wish I had more skill points...

Not considering the expansion but the base game. I often find myself wishing I had more points to put into just one skill tree. I wish I had just 135 more skill points. I can’t be the only one right? Why does it have to be this way, surely it wouldn’t ruin the game?

I want to be able to take things like persuasion, intimidation, throwing, traps or a dodge skill. I find the game isn’t as fun for me if I don’t take the crafting skills, the game just isn’t the same amount of fun if you can’t craft. To craft you can’t just take Mechanics but will need to branch out into other skills. It ends up becoming focus that I want to put points into everything crafting.

For those that think you only need a few points into crafting - you can for basic stuff it isn’t necessarily so if want to make the best end tier stuff (and that is where the real fun is)… to be able to craft the best you need efficient skill of about +110 or 130 or more (up to 196 that I know of).

A graph showing the highest level of skill requirement.

I want to be able to experience more of the game than I can currently.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: I wish I had more skill points
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 05:10:43 pm »
I know it's not what you want to hear if your time with the game is limited, but the RPG system is very well adjusted to encourage you to try multiple characters.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:35:36 pm »
I've never had issues crafting end-game gear unless you have been playing with an INT 3 character? jack of all trades build definitely will have a hard time but are doable. There are workbenches that help you to craft high quality gear once you finish certain quest chain in core city.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:53:05 pm »
I find that characters will typically have any 2 of these 3:
-lockpicking and hacking
-dodge and evasion
-craft skills

Which ones can you live without?
I've done two characters with no dodge and evasion, and I'm planning one with no lock/hack for expedition.  My very first character, going into the game blind, had no craft skills but I stopped before Depot A because I felt like I was missing out (and crossbows seemed more up my alley than pistols/other guns were turning out to be). 
*eurobeat intensifies*

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:35:36 am »
Er ... while it's flattering to see my excel table being reference ... you are reading it wrong.

The numbers are component quality - not the actually crafting skill(s) required to use the component. You need to scroll down to "Crafting & component reference part V" of my guide and I listed all the individual max skill(s) requirements.

Zalpha

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 02:05:37 pm »
Er ... while it's flattering to see my excel table being reference ... you are reading it wrong.

The numbers are component quality - not the actually crafting skill(s) required to use the component. You need to scroll down to "Crafting & component reference part V" of my guide and I listed all the individual max skill(s) requirements.

How embarrassing... I thought the extra numbers (the ones with the double numbers - extra next to the ones provided are the skill requirement need, maybe I should delete this post. Thanks for making that wonderful tutorial and sharing all that info. Thank you to everyone else who replied (I forgot about the base crafting bench). This wasn't a well thought I post, I just made it because I wanted to an extra tree like the ones I have mentioned, as all my builds end up feeling/seeming the same if I go for crafting.

StevenCraxy

• Noob
    • View Profile
underrail.com
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 03:23:06 pm »
hi all