Author Topic: Beginner looking for advice regarding Psi/Sniper build  (Read 8358 times)

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner looking for advice regarding Psi/Sniper build
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 05:18:05 pm »
Interesting :)

Is psychostatic electricity good with only 50 effective psychokinesis ? (Edit : well i suppose it is since even a low damage will trigger it, i'll consider taking it)

My idea was to burn ennemies with metathermics and molotovs in order to trigger ambush, but i don't know how pratical this can be. By the way the wiki says nothing about the "chance" to burn enemies with pyromaniac, anyone knows ?.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:28:53 pm by Ploluap »
I'm Potoldski on discord

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 06:53:27 pm »
Interesting :)

Is psychostatic electricity good with only 50 effective psychokinesis ? (Edit : well i suppose it is since even a low damage will trigger it, i'll consider taking it)

My idea was to burn ennemies with metathermics and molotovs in order to trigger ambush, but i don't know how pratical this can be. By the way the wiki says nothing about the "chance" to burn enemies with pyromaniac, anyone knows ?.
I guess it's 50%, like all other potential incinerate effect. Use burning as a controling skill looks plausible but Exothermic Aura would remove the Ambush buff, crit output and active AOE seems mutualy exclusive.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:28:19 pm by paulkirikawa »
Nihil sub, sole novum

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 09:20:50 pm »
By the way the wiki says nothing about the "chance" to burn enemies with pyromaniac
Now it does! http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pyromaniac
Godspeed, matey!
Wait, Exothermic Aura can't incinerate people? 10% even 5% possibility each tile is plausible functioning, but now I'd dump this skill for thermo-gunner builds.

Edit: wait again, does Thermodynamic Destabilization with Pyromaniac have 50% chance to proc it's heat damage on all surrounding characters or calculated like mollys? No matter what I'll test my luck with it!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:26:31 pm by paulkirikawa »
Nihil sub, sole novum

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 11:43:07 am »
By the way the wiki says nothing about the "chance" to burn enemies with pyromaniac
Now it does! http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pyromaniac

Great, thank you very much epeli :)

50% is good, there's definitely a way to use this in synergy with the ambush feat.
I'm Potoldski on discord

Reallyhairydave

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 03:35:30 pm »
Well after starting again with a hybrid of both builds (playing Dominating Classic) and after reading about the interactions of pyromaniac I have a revised build. It's full Psi, full Craft, no Traps, no Hacking/Lockpick:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUDAwMOCgjChwAAAAAAwocAADgAVmBIHlnChy3ChwAAQgEmPxQqNS4CITMKSUsxKw

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 06:01:08 pm »
To Reallyhairydave : i'm noob with that kind of build but it seems good as long as you can start fights on your own terms (low initiative, 3 con, 3 agi, psi, no evasion and dodge = you're probably dead in on turn if anything surprises you).

I'm currently lvl 8 with this build on dominating : http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUDBgoNAwbChzgAAADCh8KHADIAAHNzDipnAC3ChwAAACsBJmI9LioCH0s5MyhjNQ

Started with 9 con, i'll definitely pick last stand as suggested by paulkirikawa, wondering if going to 10 for thick skull is worth.

All fights went pretty smoothly so far, mostly thanks to little tricks with doors... Gonna tackle those big green mutants when i'm back home.

Pyromaniac is great, the 3 turn duration of burning gives great crowd control when cast at the start with premeditation.

However thermodynamicity feels like a complete waste so far, the AP gain gives me nothing significant and i run quickly out of psi anyway. Maybe i'll find more use for it later.

Have to wait lvl 10 to see how my "ambush"+pyromaniac + survival instincts strat work. If it's good i could probably dump the "snipe" feat, well maybe not because of those immune to burn guys...

As for gear i'm planning to go for Smart 24 AP Spearhead and ... a laser pistol. Those things are pretty insane when you got a high crit chance, got long range, good precision, only 15 AP to shoot even with 3 Dex. 

I really don't know for the rest though, i could either go the "max con" way with infused pig leather, or the max "crit chance" with infused rathound. I think pig is probably better for that build, surviving one more turn basically meaning you get +50 AP.

Any suggestion is welcomed :)

I'm Potoldski on discord

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 07:42:48 am »

However thermodynamicity feels like a complete waste so far, the AP gain gives me nothing significant and i run quickly out of psi anyway. Maybe i'll find more use for it later.
Try Cryogenic Induction for your next playthrough. Even SMG aimed shot is capable to shatter enemy with 150~200 hit points, and you can restealth with it in dual fights (for another snipe chance)
Nihil sub, sole novum

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 09:26:45 am »

Try Cryogenic Induction for your next playthrough. Even SMG aimed shot is capable to shatter enemy with 150~200 hit points, and you can restealth with it in dual fights (for another snipe chance)

Thx i just took it, quite fun indeed :p i'll have to chose a feat not not take now though, maybe thick skull and relying on bullhead instead; investing a bit more in biology; Doctor's Pouch is probably the best belt for this build anyway.
I'm Potoldski on discord

Reallyhairydave

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 03:11:02 pm »
Further modifications have been made based on this info, everything past level 8 is currently negotiable though, I have reached Junkyard on this playthrough and am extremely efficient with resources compared to my other game (tin can assault), the basic sniper I picked up has the power to pretty much one shot most enemies (besides those gargantuan beetles) and my psi is crowd controlling and picking of weak ones. I am using the doctors belt as the cost reduction works really well with psi boosters, here is the latest revision:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUDAwMOCgjChwAAAAAAwocAADgAVmBHLVnChy3ChwAANCsBJj8UKjUKLiEzZ0sCJA

Reallyhairydave

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 09:49:20 am »
Seeing as I am on another computer I thought I'd start yet another playthrough slightly different from the others, the first gets crafting/mercantile/persuasion, the second is psi/craft heavy and this one is psi/trap heavy and crafting light (for traps mainly), I was 20 points shy of maxing two of the psi skills and the traps are a little off max but everything else should work (just about):

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUDBwMMCgbChwAAAAAAwodsbDhPKysAIyt9LX0AAAABJD8UKjUuAiEKMyZJSys

As always feedback is appreciated :)