Author Topic: 1.0.4.15 foodstuff price puzzle  (Read 1722 times)

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
1.0.4.15 foodstuff price puzzle
« on: December 22, 2018, 12:05:26 pm »
Playin psi-Xbower for the experimental version (after that significant QT nerf), everythin looks just fine until I arrived Junkyard and tried to barter with Kareem.
New foodstuff looks handy but prices a lot creepy - I got 29 effective merchantile, normal difficulty, and one kebab on sale for 428, which was, 15 charon. Other things are far more expensive, fried siphoner tongue values 1283 as the top notcher.
 :-\ Is this a willingly change, in order to prevent food abuse in early game? IIRC those commodities are approximately 1/10 price before, even without merchantile.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:39:17 pm by paulkirikawa »
Nihil sub, sole novum

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: 1.0.4.15 foodstuff price puzzle
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 06:35:19 pm »
A big increase in food prices was deliberate. See the changelog here: http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=3742.msg21225#msg21225

Cost of food increase by an order of magnitude

I'm not on experimental yet, but if you are seeing a factor of 10 difference, this sounds exactly in line with the changelog.

STEN

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 07:30:38 pm »
wow... screw lore...

If food is analogue of "magical buff potions" and must be balanced by ridiculous prices, maybe move such buff effects from food on other items and make new "pharmacy items"? 'cause ingame economy lore is losing sense here.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 07:38:14 pm »
wow... screw lore...

If food is analogue of "magical buff potions" and must be balanced by ridiculous prices, maybe move such buff effects from food on other items and make new "pharmacy items"? 'cause ingame economy lore is losing sense here.

Well, I assume your character eats non-luxury stuff like lake mushrooms or roots or whatever for sustenance.  Stuff like stuffed bats and burrower burgers seem like special food to me.  This is an underground world, after all, so food ought to be expensive, though maybe not as expensive as it currently is. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 07:41:58 pm »
cause ingame economy lore is losing sense here.
The majority of Junkyard is starving hobos, makes sense to me.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:39:23 pm »
Haven't updated the game yet but for me food was bit OP but cheap, if I remember correctly at certain area in DC one character tells you Underrail is suffering from low levels of food (I think? I could be wrong about this part) and of course that's why food can be somewhat expensive and thus the price increase, but I'll be damned if I eat lake mushrooms, Jon's Specials all the way if was a proper consumable.

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 02:15:56 am »
Cost of food increase by an order of magnitude

I'm not on experimental yet, but if you are seeing a factor of 10 difference, this sounds exactly in line with the changelog.

Thanks, didn't noticed that in dev log. At least we have a chance to drain those narrow-harted chefs' charon.
I hope someday they might add some cooking recipes or even feats (if recipes are too convenient)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 02:31:35 am by paulkirikawa »
Nihil sub, sole novum

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 02:37:23 pm »
Do you think we'll be able to cook some food ourselves with the expansion ?

I used to eat mainly rathound barbeque for the +10 carry capacity, now i'll think twice before eating anything, wish i simply could go for a hunt and make it on the spot :p
I'm Potoldski on discord