Author Topic: Your opinion on uniques?  (Read 3035 times)

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Your opinion on uniques?
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:42:32 am »
While trying out a new sniper build I was thinking about usable uniques and forgo crafting mostly. From what I can see, the only two categories with at least one decent enough unique are imho firearms and melee has even multiple decent weapons, the other categories seem to be a bit lackluster.
As someone who plays Sniper builds a lot I must say that I find the unique sniper rifles disturbingly lackluster.

Dragunov: It has no benefits over a Spearhead apart from it being available without crafting. For some reason, it cannot beat a basic rapid variant at anything. The damage really is nothing special, it has no precision bonus, even though it has a scope on the small icon and no crit bonus whatsoever and the penalties after moving and close combat are not better than that of the Spearhead plus it still costs more AP to fire, granted only 1 but still. If I remember correctly the weapon was introduced before Spearheads appeared, so I guess not giving it at least one edge over Spearheads was an oversight.
I guess the only really positive thing I can say about it that it is available early and basically can be picked up right along the way of a quest.

At the very least one can say that even a real life Dragunov comes with a scope, which makes the lack of precision bonus really confounding.

AFW: Again a complete lack of precision bonus, which is baffling. The crit bonus is worse than a standard anatomically aware scope, the 5% extra crit over standard is not worth a lot considering that you use Snipe and Aimed Shot most of the time on a Sniper build. The base damage is nothing to fawn over either. You also have to go out of your way and sneak into the Beasts lair to acquire, a minor hassle but still a hassle. Funny enough the weapon icon shows a scope AND a bipod, making the complete lack of precision mind-boggling.

Black Arrow: Actually good base damage and 20% precision makes this a decent weapon, but I have to wonder why it got penalized thrice. First it sports a 15% lower crit chance for what reason exactly? If anything this cannon should be just as brutal on Aimed Shots. Second it is the only snipe rifle which requires 6 strength. Lastly it is found in DC only which makes it super late game and you are forced to rely on Dragunov or AFW since most normal Snipers you find or shop are, disturbingly, even worse.

I won't go into other uniques much since with this short overview one can see that at the very least the sniper category is woefully lacking and from what I can see assault rifles and SMGs are hardly any better, firearms really only have Wyatts Wastehawk as an outstanding one, the rest is ok or outright mediocre.
I am fine with crafted weapons being better than uniques. I am not fine with so many uniques not really having at least something over crafted ones, like the Dragunov for example.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:59:55 am by Sykar »

`louse`

Re: Your opinion on uniques?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:14:44 am »
Dragunov: two shots without using consumables, maybe 3 with them.
Black Arrow: worse than craft-rifle but but best with the lack of it. Does it need a critical strike chance? Aimed Shot, Snipe

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 08:45:30 am »
Black Arrow has an extra optimal range of no less than 2!

Yeah I know... maybe this feature will get added in the future? http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=3443.0

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 11:43:59 am »
Black Arrow has an extra optimal range of no less than 2!

Yeah I know... maybe this feature will get added in the future? http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=3443.0

True, I forgot about it. Still I did say it is a good weapon, one of a few, I just think that it has a bit too many drawbacks. I am fine with the strength increase and that it comes late, I just do not see why it was necessary to also penalize the critical damage bonus. I would love to see that refurbishing idea being implemented you proposed.

Dragunov: two shots without using consumables, maybe 3 with them.
Black Arrow: worse than craft-rifle but but best with the lack of it. Does it need a critical strike chance? Aimed Shot, Snipe

Dragunov: Any Spearhead can do the same with even lower AP cost, while having less penalties for close range and after movement. On top of that you can opt to get 10% precision or 50% crit damage. Technically the Dragunov should not even exist because it has essentially no scope. And for the finishing blow we can add a Smart Module and outdamage the Dragunov essentially by the time you get it by a factor of at least 1.5 if not more. Later even a meager 100 quality Spearhead blows the Dragunov out of the water in EVERY respect. Initially the Dragunov was the ONLY sniper rifle allowing you two shots per round without adrenaline. Since the introduction of the Spearhead this niche has completely vanished. The Dragunov deserves at least one advantage over a Spearhead which it cannot get via crafting.

Black Arrow: I do not understand your questio. The critical strike chance of the Black Arrow is irrelevant, the critical damage multiplier getting penalized is my problem on top of all the other drawbacks like increased strength requirement and that it comes very late in the game. And it is not like the weapons is super special either, but at least it is equivalent to a high quality sniper rifle with a precision scope and bipod, which makes it better than most unique guns you find.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:53:54 am by Sykar »

`louse`

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 12:37:52 pm »
Quote from: Sykar
Black Arrow: I do not understand your questio...

I thought that you are outraged by a low critical chance. Therefore, i said that chance didn`t need

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 01:37:39 pm »

I thought that you are outraged by a low critical chance. Therefore, i said that chance didn`t need

You do understand the difference between critical chance and critical multiplier, right?

belial12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 10:58:15 pm »
Dragunov is really good because you can get two shots off with a sniper rifle, of course it is inferior to crafted spearhead as it should be, since you can get it without investing points into crafting.

jubisloviu

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 01:29:49 am »
Some uniques from other weapons categories can be on par if not better than crafted stuff
like Melee Weapons
Rippers Gloves is amazing to proc bleed and stack taste for blood really fast
The Claw is one of the few weapons that does bio damage, and that's amazing to boost your overrall damage
Power Glove is the only fist weapon with both shock/pneumatic hammer
Balor's Hammer is a beast, even if you don't get 20STR to wield it without drugs you can just use it with the STR penalty and get used to the -% to hit penalty, the damage is just so great it doesn't even matters.

them we have some meme options like the Tommy gun, wich is the only "SMG" that can use .44 rounds, have you ever burst fired it with explosive rounds?, kinda amusing.

but yeah man, i kinda feel like a bunch of them are flatout underpowered
One of the examples of this would be the Phase gun, it's gimmick is that it removes shield, but with 40AP per shot, i'd rather just throw EMP nades when i need a shield down, you need to munch eel sandwiches while having 16 dex just to be able to fire it twice
doesn't sounds like a decent investment.

`louse`

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 08:55:45 am »

You do understand the difference between critical chance and critical multiplier, right?

You asked: ...First it sports a 15% lower crit chance for what reason exactly?...
I will answer you about critical chance, not critical multiplier. Do not confuse me)

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 06:03:53 pm »

You asked: ...First it sports a 15% lower crit chance for what reason exactly?...
I will answer you about critical chance, not critical multiplier. Do not confuse me)

I did not confuse you. You simply overlooked a simple mistake on my part where I was obviously referring to the 85% crit multiplier which is 15% below normal. That is all there is to it. Crit chance for sniper rifles is for the most part irrelevant.

ChaunceyK

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Nope, not a spambot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 08:37:19 pm »
I'm a stealthy fist-fighter, having just recently acquired The Claw.  I can tell you that between the bleeding and the bio damage, it was a no brainer to take the Taste For Blood feat at my next level-up.  It's making a huge difference for me, I'm demolishing opponents much quicker.

What's that line from Jesse Ventura in Predator?  Something like "if it bleeds, I can kill it."