Author Topic: Advice on the Tchortist initiation mission (shopping mall fight)  (Read 879 times)

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Advice on the Tchortist initiation mission (shopping mall fight)
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:50:56 am »
Since I have unfortunately come upon what I consider a near game-breaking bug in the upstairs portion of the fight to retrieve the figurine, I am looking for alternatives. The bug can be found in the bug forum, but essentially enemies behind certain doors cannot be targeted. So for a heavy armor wearing sledgehammer build, I'm not sure what to do with my #1 tactic of using doors to gain a tactical advantage.

This fight has always seemed to me disproportionately hard at this point in the game. There is nothing else even remotely as hard for me besides the final fight. I notice there is a random Jackhammer lying around on the lower level of the Mall, does this perhaps have some use I have yet to discover that makes the entire section easier, or is it just flavor?

edit: difficulty=Hard

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on the Tchortist initiation mission (shopping mall fight)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 05:34:38 pm »
Well, on Hard, you should be able to beat the instant detection threshold with just cave hopper stealth overcoat, balaclava, ninja tabis, cloaking device, and a food buff.  So you should be able to mine the floor in the southern part of the upstairs map like it's a wartime DMZ.  If you don't have all that gear yet, you may even pick up a level while you go get it - if your build can afford to put a few points in stealth, all the better.  Once you're all mined up, bring a bunch of grenades and leverage the "sufficient quantities of fire solve all problems" approach.  If you have Grenadier, it'll really shine here.

If you're having trouble on the lower level, all you need are a few gas grenades, a few frags, some adrenaline, and three bear traps, then you'll be clear to get to the tougher upstairs bit.  Your double LOS break at the entry to the mall gives you enormous situational advantage. edit: sorry, somehow missed the very clear part where you said you were having trouble up top :P

Like you, I've never found a purpose for that jackhammer in the Mall.  Perhaps it's just there in case you didn't take one of the free ones from Foundry, so you don't have to backtrack?  There are a couple uses for jackhammer/TNT in Upper UnderRail.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:38:23 pm by TheAverageGortsby »