Author Topic: Suggestions of random encounters and status effects  (Read 2095 times)

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Suggestions of random encounters and status effects
« on: April 02, 2019, 02:21:28 pm »
1. Is it possible to make random encounters occur in train/boat fast trip? Underrail Express might be in top seurity defense, meanwhile those boats are absolutely good target for Black Sea pirates.
2. Bleeding status might effect stealth skill (negatively). I mean, if you are bleeding, dropping red spots, when you move around, these red spots would become significant traces that might expose your position.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:11:34 pm by paulkirikawa »
Nihil sub, sole novum

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions of random encounters and status effects
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 07:19:52 am »
1. We considered having random events inside the train before and we might do those at some point.
2. That would make sense for a lot of other status effects as well, but we generally don't implement them at that level of detail.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 08:49:50 am »
I'm really not sure how random encounters during fast travel would interact with stealth/combat avoidance.
What exactly happens if the player just hides / tries to run away?

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 01:33:46 pm »
I'm really not sure how random encounters during fast travel would interact with stealth/combat avoidance.
It could work similar to Fallout 1's random encounters, where Perception/Agility/Outdoorsman checks are used to determine whether you're placed in the middle of the enemies or at the edge of the map close to the exit.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 07:16:07 pm »
It could work similar to Fallout 1's random encounters, where Perception/Agility/Outdoorsman checks are used to determine whether you're placed in the middle of the enemies or at the edge of the map close to the exit.
But in UnderRail fast travel is travel via actual transport. What happens if the player managed to avoid combat, but the NPC driver/captain did not?

Also, random encounters in fallout 1/2 where really, REALLY poorly balanced. Basically anything from instant unavoidable death to just a ton of effectively free XP/loot was on the table.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 08:09:08 pm by Tamior »

Trashos

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 01:43:44 am »
I am 100% against more combat random events. As a matter of fact, I think that most of the existing combat-oriented ones have to go. The speed of moving around in UR is already a hotly debated topic (with people complaining about it or using speedhack), and random events make it much-much worse than it already was. Having to move around with your guard up *in already cleared locations* is just too much, afaic.

To make matters worse, doing rounds of shopping, another hotly debated topic, is also made much worse with random events. In particular, visiting Blaine, Rail Crossing or Dirty Tom becomes orders of magnitude slower because of random events. I have to take off my rathound regalia, put on a tactical vest, and enter stealth in order to visit these merchants. What was already tedious becomes totally misguided, imo. It is not like UR doesn't have enough combat already.

As a matter of fact, if there is ONE good thing about the shopping rounds, it's that they allow the player to forget about combat stress for a while. This becomes obvious in DC where there are no shopping rounds, and the constant combat stress becomes too much for a lot of players. To some extend, combat random events introduce this DC problem in the pre-DC gameplay.

That said, I have nothing against non-combat random events. I like them. The wounded man, the couch, the mute fisherman, the dead trapper are all fine. I also welcome the random events that are strongly connected to story events, like patrols clashing, the free mutants or Daniel Arda coming after you. But rogue robots, just another lunatic/ironhead group and the like? Those add nothing and make the game actively worse, for the reasons explained above.

My 2c.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:24:08 am by Trashos »

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 06:25:54 pm »
I am 100% against more combat random events. As a matter of fact, I think that most of the existing combat-oriented ones have to go. The speed of moving around in UR is already a hotly debated topic (with people complaining about it or using speedhack), and random events make it much-much worse than it already was. Having to move around with your guard up *in already cleared locations* is just too much, afaic.

To make matters worse, doing rounds of shopping, another hotly debated topic, is also made much worse with random events. In particular, visiting Blaine, Rail Crossing or Dirty Tom becomes orders of magnitude slower because of random events. I have to take off my rathound regalia, put on a tactical vest, and enter stealth in order to visit these merchants. What was already tedious becomes totally misguided, imo. It is not like UR doesn't have enough combat already.

As a matter of fact, if there is ONE good thing about the shopping rounds, it's that they allow the player to forget about combat stress for a while. This becomes obvious in DC where there are no shopping rounds, and the constant combat stress becomes too much for a lot of players. To some extend, combat random events introduce this DC problem in the pre-DC gameplay.

That said, I have nothing against non-combat random events. I like them. The wounded man, the couch, the mute fisherman, the dead trapper are all fine. I also welcome the random events that are strongly connected to story events, like patrols clashing, the free mutants or Daniel Arda coming after you. But rogue robots, just another lunatic/ironhead group and the like? Those add nothing and make the game actively worse, for the reasons explained above.

My 2c.

Good, I agree with the shopping rounds opinion. I had dreamed of that Underrail could use the same map transport method in Geneforge series, but it seems impossible because 1)it's free 2) you have to check the "map clear" status to ensure fast travel is possible, which needs tons of coding works.
Now I would like to see a new NPC implemented in DLC, who can provide you personal customized fast travel with reasonable fee, perhaps carryweight included (to prevent overload squirell teleport)? Maybe as a friend you met in a side quest, or a retired fella which worked in Underrail Express, whatever, even beautiful Joe's sister or wife! Whatever, I hate being a clumsy footman.
Nihil sub, sole novum