Author Topic: a few questions about perks  (Read 1527 times)

infamousraziel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
a few questions about perks
« on: June 24, 2019, 03:14:25 am »
1] is expertise a good perk at max level, for a pistol build? is the 20 dmg per shot really that great? would it be better or worse than getting, say.. quick tinkering?

2] is recklessness worth it? [i plan on taking paranoia later on, so all of the crit would be mitigated minus the psi]---- i am correct on that, right? has anybody ever tested that?

3] as a light armor pistol build [plan on taking nimble], should i choose 130 bio or tailoring. dont know if the SS drug outweighs a good outfit.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: a few questions about perks
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 03:39:29 am »
1) Expertise is generally a good feat if you're going to hit a bunch of times.  So, it's really great for SMGs and ARs.  Incidentally, a pistol build is one of the weakest in the game (by which I mean bullet pistols; energy pistols and chemical pistols are both superior) and if you play on a high difficulty you may have some trouble in parts.  Pistols can be nice sidearms but they're not great primaries.  If I had to pick between Expertise for a pistol build, and Quick Tinkering, I'd pick QT in a heartbeat.  But Expertise has no requirements so all you'd need is a free feat slot for it, unlike QT which requires both stats and skills.

2) If you play stealth, yeah.  If you plan to facetank hits, then Recklessness == reloads.

3) Tailoring will help you from the beginning of the game all the way to the end.  Super Soldier drug will help you only at the very end of the game.  I'd take tailoring, play the game a while, learn from your mistakes, then restart with another character, personally.  But Super Soldier is amazingly powerful for the few seconds it lasts.  It's just very, very, very, very, very, very scarce and getting the ingredients for it is a giant PITA.

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 04:42:28 am »
Expertise (imho) is for people who build 14+ dex and put spikes on their armor and spikes on their light fist weapon. You can proc Expertise like 5 times for 4 AP, which gets cheesy when you're not throwing away a mag of ammo every turn.

And obviously it works pretty well for muzzlebreak + full auto SMGs, though I prefer crit as my late game transition for firearm users, especially with the Smart Attack rework.

infamousraziel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 05:44:40 am »
i am going to be playing on normal difficulty just because of the fact that pistols is not as "strong" as an assualt or smg build. i know logically you are correct that QT would be a better choice but for some reason i dont like the idea of placing traps whil in combat...just feels wrong. idk im conflicted on that.

about recklessness, given that im taking paranoia is it really THAT bad? since the physical dmg cancels out? afaik it'd only be a 3% extra dmg from psi crits. not horrible considering i get 7% crit from that.

about tailoring, looks like im gonna switch from bio to tailoring. i guess  i could always buy my drugs/buffs. whereas a good suit would take alot of luck to get with the right stats and such.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 06:24:19 am »
about tailoring, looks like im gonna switch from bio to tailoring. i guess  i could always buy my drugs/buffs.
Buying food is easy, but buying drugs is not so common. Still, knowing that you can get a skill boost from crafting in your player-owned house, if you've got enough stat points to get at least 5 or 6 Int you should probably be able to find enough skill points to do both Tailoring and Biology.  As you work on your build concept, you may find that with careful consideration you can pull a lot of points back from where you first thought you'd need to be.  You want to do a thing, all you need is to touch the threshold; there's no bonus for over-skill.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 01:19:34 pm »
Expertise (imho) is for people who build 14+ dex and put spikes on their armor and spikes on their light fist weapon. You can proc Expertise like 5 times for 4 AP, which gets cheesy when you're not throwing away a mag of ammo every turn.

Fixed in Expedition.