Author Topic: Ventilation Shafts has a skill check? (spoilers)  (Read 3919 times)

MonthOLDpickle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Ventilation Shafts has a skill check? (spoilers)
« on: July 01, 2019, 12:52:08 am »
I wouldn't have guessed because it doesn't mention anything on skill and I tried to open one in the trapdoor from the dude bleeding to death. I understand lock picks, but..screws xD.

Does the guy bleed out and die? If I don't see the dude...can I come back later and he still be alive and give quest?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Ventilation Shafts has a skill check? (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 12:58:45 am »
To use the Omnitool to open a vent, yeah, you have to have a certain (fairly low) Lockpicking skill.  Similarly, to force open a vent with a crowbar, you need to have a certain amount of Strength.

Once you talk to the guy and he starts bleeding, you need to find his lady friend right away or he can bleed out, IIRC.  It used to be worse; the only way you could reliably save him was with Doctor feat and a bandage, at one point.

MonthOLDpickle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 12:59:58 am »
To use the Omnitool to open a vent, yeah, you have to have a certain (fairly low) Lockpicking skill.  Similarly, to force open a vent with a crowbar, you need to have a certain amount of Strength.

Once you talk to the guy and he starts bleeding, you need to find his lady friend right away or he can bleed out, IIRC.  It used to be worse; the only way you could reliably save him was with Doctor feat and a bandage, at one point.

I have 30 or so in LP, guess not enough for this section =(

So wait how long do I have as I have to fight everything now?

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 01:01:03 am »
I'm pretty sure he only bleeds while you're on the same map as him, and even then it takes quite a while. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

MonthOLDpickle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 04:53:10 am »
I'm pretty sure he only bleeds while you're on the same map as him, and even then it takes quite a while.
I fought one bug and had to retreat. He died.

Can I even get an oddity? I may just have to play something else atm to cool off...=/

I reloaded. I went down trapdoor and back up, he dies. lol wtf

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 05:00:09 am »
I fought one bug and had to retreat. He died.

Can I even get an oddity? I may just have to play something else atm to cool off...=/

I reloaded. I went down trapdoor and back up, he dies. lol wtf

I see.  So if you exit the building without his girlfriend, he's scripted to die.  I do know that if you talk to him and leave the map the way you came, then come back later, he's alive.  Unless I'm completely tripping, I'm pretty sure I've done that before. 

You don't get an oddity from him, but you do get an exp point for reuniting them.  There are oddities in the dungeon if that's what you meant.
*eurobeat intensifies*

MonthOLDpickle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 05:22:42 am »
Yeah I need to just come back though, I am really weak against huge numbers of bugs, especially when the bigger ones come.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 05:24:38 am »
You don't have an autosave from before you talked to clint?  Or a regular save?
*eurobeat intensifies*

MonthOLDpickle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 05:25:50 am »
You don't have an autosave from before you talked to clint?  Or a regular save?

Oh I reloaded when I was two maps north and just went back to town. I can't manage swarms of bugs (or even the thugs in that shack one map north of the dude bleeding out). xD

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 05:28:12 am »
Ah, I misunderstood.
*eurobeat intensifies*

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 05:31:56 am »
Oh I reloaded when I was two maps north and just went back to town. I can't manage swarms of bugs (or even the thugs in that shack one map north of the dude bleeding out). xD
Is this character your psychosis build that you were asking about on the forums not so very long ago?  If so, you certainly can handle the burrowers, you're just not going at the problem the right way.

I can probably walk you through a successful clear of that floor if you want.  All you really need are a couple loud things like explosive traps or grenades.  Since you can't pick the vent and get to the perfect staging room (which is almost due east of the ladder you drop in from) you just need to get to the unlocked doored room immediately north and west from the ladder.  Once you're in a room with no entry except doors, all you have to do is cheese Premeditation - make some noise, gather up a bunch of bugs, Premeditate, open a door, fireball, close the door.  Wait five turns and repeat the last four steps.  Is it fun? Not really.  But if they can't open the door, then you'll eventually kill them all.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 05:35:15 am by TheAverageGortsby »

MonthOLDpickle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 08:24:03 am »
Is this character your psychosis build that you were asking about on the forums not so very long ago?  If so, you certainly can handle the burrowers, you're just not going at the problem the right way.

I can probably walk you through a successful clear of that floor if you want.  All you really need are a couple loud things like explosive traps or grenades.  Since you can't pick the vent and get to the perfect staging room (which is almost due east of the ladder you drop in from) you just need to get to the unlocked doored room immediately north and west from the ladder.  Once you're in a room with no entry except doors, all you have to do is cheese Premeditation - make some noise, gather up a bunch of bugs, Premeditate, open a door, fireball, close the door.  Wait five turns and repeat the last four steps.  Is it fun? Not really.  But if they can't open the door, then you'll eventually kill them all.

I can't stealth anywhere in here haha. They block either way I go. I almost got somewhere with FF.

Duskmare

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 09:16:45 am »
Just to note, I'm pretty sure the highest lockpick requirement for vents is 50. So if you can get there then you're set for vents.

Also I think the guy does bleed out if you don't bandage him as a doctor. I ran straight in, cleared the floor and got his girlfriend then when i left he was dead. So either it still ticks down while you're in another map or he's scripted to die if you don't heal him before going in.

MonthOLDpickle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 12:17:45 am »
Yea the dude died even though I stayed down and saved Jenny. Lammmmeeeeeeeeeeee. Game is still great but that is kinda irritating that I need a feat (not a skill check) in-order to save that dude.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 01:25:52 am »
Maybe it's changed since, but I've never had that guy bleed out, and I've saved him and jenny without the feat a couple times.
*eurobeat intensifies*