Author Topic: Conversation Choices  (Read 2819 times)

spocek

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Conversation Choices
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:22:57 am »
It would be very practical that once a conversation choice is chosen that item disappears from the menu. For example, if the player's character asks an NPC about something and the NPC responds that conversation choice should be gone. This may have been already requested but I still think it is worth revisiting...

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Conversation Choices
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:48:29 am »
While right from an immersion viewpoint, it is generally preferable if players can ask stuff again if they forgot something.
In this case, it'd just increase the amount of required dialogue by altering all those sentences, or adding an "I know I asked this already, but" to every one of them.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

spocek

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:37:46 pm »
I respectfully disagree. Already selected conversation choices should go within the conversation history and outside the current conversation menu. The conversation menu should only reflect unused choices. Look at Diablo 3 - it is so much cleaner than Underrail in that respect. I often have to go over all the menu items in Underrail just to get my bearing because, like most players, I am scanning over the content... This is a bit frustrating as I often make the mistake of selecting the same question accidentally and repeatedly from an NPC that I am revisiting between my runs from Level 1 to Level X... Styg - what are your thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:39:34 pm by spocek »

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:22:55 pm »
I think it's a good thing that you can ask the same thing mutiple times, because if you somehow missclicked and skipped a part of a conversation, then you should be able to reselect that option and hear it again. The same goes if you somehow forget what X character said.

Clawdius_Talonious

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 03:49:02 pm »
A typical response to this sort of thing is a journal that keeps track of all previous conversations. Then you get the best of both worlds, the ability to re-read things without having immersion breaking conversation loops that repeat ad nauseum. Of course there are ways to play off of those conversation loops as well, having characters ask if you're an idiot, or say things LOUDLY and SLOWLY.

spocek

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 04:27:46 pm »
A typical response to this sort of thing is a journal that keeps track of all previous conversations.

My thoughts exactly. The information flow in the conversation menu needs to move toward being uncluttered...

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:31:47 pm »
I don't really see this as a problem. Are you just running through all the questions and answers without reading them and just want to know when you've exhausted the entire dialog with a given character?

A journal would be nice, I admit, but there's more important stuff for me to work on.

spocek

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:20:49 pm »
With games of this magnitude there is a lot of information to digest and the story is a big part of the game. I enjoy reading the content thoroughly (I skim over it initially) and will sometimes forget if I have asked a certain question because it is in the conversation menu. This leads to re-reading the old content which can be a bit frustrating but is not a deal breaker. As others have pointed out - it does affect the overall immersion factor. Maybe, this is something to consider down the road if time and design permits...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:24:13 pm by spocek »