Author Topic: PSI Crafting  (Read 3607 times)

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
PSI Crafting
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:25:50 pm »
My recent sort of failed Playthrough, which I've put on hold for now, left me itching to modify PSI Powers.
Just like Items can be crafted to one's need, I feel it'd be nice to specialize into and modify a discipline of mind.

Now, forgive me if this existed somewhere already, I thoroughly searched for it.

For example, as a basic, every Combat-PSI ability (Which, so far, is all of them) could have the choice to go for focus (+range, accuracy(if applicable), and the respective skill) at the cost of a damage penalty, or go for power, going the opposite route.

For example, Force emission could end up specialized in projecting punches 5-6 Meters far, or it could be a Set of "Psionic Gloves", increasing range by just a half meter (so you don't always have to spend 3 MP after initiating combat), but with a % damage increase, and perhaps a small AOE that would make it utterly impracticable if bystanders/allies are near.

Alternatively, that could be done with a perk, just like time/power is a decision with psychosis/tranquility.

Edit: PSI-Foci would also be an option.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Clawdius_Talonious

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: PSI Crafting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:46:12 pm »
It would be interesting to see a variety of electronic devices to aid PSI skills, and perhaps associated perks to affect their construction and use.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:33:47 pm »
Or PSI affect Electronic devices.  8)
How about a PSI Grenade, that panics everyone in a radius and deals minor irresistible damage to organics?

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:44:51 pm »
It would be interesting to see a variety of electronic devices to aid PSI skills, and perhaps associated perks to affect their construction and use.
Or PSI affect Electronic devices.  8)
How about a PSI Grenade, that panics everyone in a radius and deals minor irresistible damage to organics?

I like and aprove those ideas! :D
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:38:19 pm »
Was just thinking about additional quirks for PSI, especially inspired by the Silent Isle.
Could characters possibly specialize more, in the direction of "Chaos Innoculation" in Path of Exile, or the Psion Uncarnate in D&D?
Things like paying a bit of life to reduce the cost of PSI abilities.

It occurred to me after that that we already have, exceedingly rare, regenerative vests.
Just like an Item can apparently regenerate life, which is a renewable resource for melee characters, couldn't we have a similar item that regenerates PSI?
Having Helmets that reduce the cost or increase the efficiency, just like adaptive googles will improve your gunplay, is obviously also an option.

Oh, and I noticed that Force Emmision only works with Fists, not weapons. Would that be another crafting option for this "spell", instead of picking raw power or flexibility?
After all, the benefit is way smaller on a weapon with massively higher base damage?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:57:05 pm »
Being able to modify the psi abilities like in PoE would be awesome I admit, but it won't be implemented. There will be more feats introduced in the future that will augment specific psi abilities or groups of psi abilities either passively or temporarily through activated skills such as Locus of Control and Premeditation.

Psi specialization is something I have in mind when designing new feats.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:13:32 pm »
Aww.  :-\
Well, ok, I expected that. Multiple systems would be interfering with each other. Streamlined Design. :)
That's what I meant with the comparison with PoEs Chaos Innoculation, though. Though, Blood Magic might be a better fit: It makes for great feats. Crafting shouldn't affect the actual character that much.
 :D! Idea: make one of those nice Headbands Seers put over their eyes in contemporary silly fantasy. + Will, -Perception and vision distance. Oh gawd, the cliche.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:26:03 pm by UnLimiTeD »