Author Topic: Struggling on expedition beach defense 2 (spoilers?)  (Read 3931 times)

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Struggling on expedition beach defense 2 (spoilers?)
« on: July 31, 2019, 08:07:27 pm »
I am getting repeatedly killed on the second "defend the beach" mission. I didn't have high enough mechanics or technology for the statue and I didn't talk to the ferryman about mines. I was hoping  someone could answer some questions of mine?

Will I have to defend the beach any more times after this?
Does it matter if I lose Yahota or the auto turret?
What can I do to maximize my survival chance as a pure psi character?

I am thankful for any advice you can give.

Sehnsucht

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling on expedition beach defense 2 (spoilers?)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 02:26:27 am »
It should be easy for Psi characters.  Seal one path with force field and they will gather around the other. You activate Locus of Control and cast Enrage and watch them tear their colleagues into shreds.

As for Yahota and Auto Turret. It doesn't matter plot wise but Losing Yahota would make subsequent beach defense missions much more difficult since she is really good at one-shotting those South Harbor Folks.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 05:05:30 am »
Unfortunately I've already lost her, but if I don't absolutely have to have her I'd rather not restart expedition from the beginning. So there are more beach attacks?

Sehnsucht

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 05:30:32 am »
Yes. There will be more attacks after you make progress in the expedition questline

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:39:28 am »
I let the AI do the fight and they handled it perfectly without any casualty (dominating).

Was there any risk involved ?

EDIT : i mean i didn't even go there
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:41:15 am by Ploluap »
I'm Potoldski on discord

`louse`

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 08:03:14 am »
I let the AI do the fight and they handled it perfectly without any casualty (dominating).

Was there any risk involved ?

EDIT : i mean i didn't even go there

I join the question. Are there any consequences of not participating in the protection of the camp?

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 06:49:56 pm »
How many defenses you have to go through depends on how quickly you finish the expansion. The quicker you are, the less defenses you have to participate in... or not. There is a way to activate a plasma turret later into the expansion, and that one is really good. If you let the AI handle all the combat, you will start loosing troopers quicker than you think. There's a line of text with Commander Briggs where you ask him what the status of the camp is. The troopers run out of grenades, shields and healing stuff.

Loosing Yahota for me would be a pita, although not critical, because she can help with locating the Ferryman. She isn't essential.

As for defending the beach, here's what I usually do. I have Crawler Poison Caltrops and some traps littered abouts and I start combat in the middle of the beach because that way I draw all the aggro on me. I toss a gas grenade on each side of the beach where enemies spawn, then mass enrage the side with the two boats and stun the other side with a flashbang. After that I throw two Napalm or Magnesium grenades to stack the flames on the boat closes to the troops and I stall as much as can until I can cast another Mass Enrage, which usually at that point hits like 10 guys. After that it's only cleanup. I will talk about that when I post my complete build, but I don't think you will necessarily be able to do all of that. Which is fine; you don't have to. I never lose troopers on defenses, though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:13:59 pm by HulkOSaurus »

`louse`

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 01:25:33 am »
If you let the AI handle all the combat, you will start loosing troopers quicker than you think.
That is, theoretically, this can lead to the fact that the camp will be captured and the quest line of the professor will end?

Ravager

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 11:46:20 pm »
HulkOSaurus, that's almost exactly what I do.

I had a grenade / SMG character. So she would start near the middle, but closer to the left. Before the fight starts, hit at least one LZ with a gas grenade. Then, when the enemies emerge from the boat, I used napalm on the leftmost boat to keep them busy, then sprint over to the right-hand LZ.

The Naga is usually engaging enemies there at that point, so I tag-team with the Naga. Let it absorb nets and poison bolts and stuff, and weave in and out using various grenades and peppering everyone with bursts, which also suppresses them. At a high level, my character take down multiple enemies while bursting 4-6 times per turn. If you aren't strong enough, retreat and draw the enemies into the plasma turrets.

By staying in the centre, and centre-right, between the two right-hand boats, you can attack people emerging from the right-most while drawing people from the other two within range of the turrets. Lots of people were coming from the left boat to catch me, and getting gunned down by turrets.

The Aegis people, of course, do nothing most of the time. I don't even know how they are running down supplies, since they don't fire at the enemy 90% of the time, or get injured much. They just congregate near their turret, line up, and stay out of range of the enemy. They take combat drugs that expire and leave them tired before they even see the enemy. Honestly, supply depletion should correlate to how much the Aegis security actually fire at, and receive fire from, the enemy raids. Because they just loitered most of the time.

Ravager

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 11:48:17 pm »
Basically, Professor Oldfield is paying for Aegis security's drug habit.