Author Topic: Help required (existing build or a new one)  (Read 2429 times)

cHerman

• Noob
    • View Profile
Help required (existing build or a new one)
« on: August 17, 2019, 03:12:58 pm »
Hi!

I just clocked 41 hours in Underrail and it seems, my 19 level Melee fighter struggles a bit too much.

Here is the build: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?EwgLBwQEBAYAJwBpaWlpRkYAACkMCghBAAAAaQAAACskTzE2wpkGEhPCjsKHGeKhuATfvw
The gear I currently use is Quake and Kukri. I tried using swords, but couldn't find anything  good. Hence, decided to go with the Sledge and continue using the knife.
I use an armor with total armor penalty 15% for Nimble to be used.
I am playing on normal, went to the Black Sea and I am really dying a lot. Really a LOT (and honestly I died a lot before). It seems there are tons of things that are one shooting me, from snipers, to some crossbows or people with sledges, or with acid weapons
The only thing that improved my gameplay, was those few psi abilities from temporal school.
Moreover, early game I wanted to spec for the knife, but the damage threshold of most enemies, means that I deal almost no damage. Hence the Dex investment seems really bad and in general, I am seriously considering to start over. The Quake helps a lot, earlier I used a machete, but this also wasnt very useable.
Did I really screw up this badly?
If so, how should go with it?  Are there any decent knifes out there in the expedition, or is this route a total dead end?
If so, I have some ideas for a new run, either through a full psi (thought? Or methatermics), or a sniper  temporal mix.
Really appreciate the help!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:16:18 pm by cHerman »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Help required (existing build or a new one)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 03:50:55 pm »
Well, you haven't specialized very much in your stats, so as a consequence you don't have any really impressive skills.  Using a sledge with 8 Strength isn't great, and using knives with 11 Dex isn't great, either.  Still, if you really want to, you can get through Normal with this build.  You should probably get a whole lot of bear traps and grenades, though, because your main combat options aren't very strong, so you'd benefit greatly from picking up the Grenadier feat and using a lot of thrown explosives.

Just in general, if you would normally dump a stat to 4, you may as well dump it to 3 - you won't succeed at anything with 4 in a skill that you wouldn't succeed with 3, and that frees up a stat point for you to specialize your build more.  Also, if you're going to pick up psi abilities, you should try to find 25 points to put into Psychokinesis so you can get Force Field - it's a really helpful ability, and can save your life a lot.  You might also want to drop some more points into Mechanics so you can make good weapons for yourself; good crafted weapons will be better than almost anything you can find - even Quake.  Finally, if you build your character for the first 15ish levels for one thing then switch to another, you can pretty much count on having a hard time.

If you're willing to restart, it'll make your whole UnderRail experience better if you make a more focused character.  If you're finding the game less fun because of the difficulty, I've got to tell you, 19 levels in it's hard to pull things around.  It can be done, but a restart would be better.  That's just not a very good character build that you've ended up with.

cHerman

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 04:01:08 pm »
heh, that what I was afraid of.

I was thinking with going either PSI, with a SMG / Assualt rifle, or going with a Sniper / Sealth (perhaps with temporal added to the mix).  If you dont mind - I have couple questions.

* With full PSI should I go Thought Control for primar damage, or Metathermics? Which will be bettter for early game?
* Should I invest in STR? I was thinking that, perhaps I should go with metal armor this playthrough, as my dodge / evasion build didnt work to well.
* Is it worth to invest in Guns early game in this build? Or should I focus on dmg with my PSI abilities?

Moreover, which do you recommend more sniper build or PSI?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 12:22:08 am »
* With full PSI should I go Thought Control for primar damage, or Metathermics? Which will be bettter for early game?

Moreover, which do you recommend more sniper build or PSI?
If you don't mind, I'll just link to the build guide I made for an optimal psi character.  https://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=4149.0  But to answer your question, Thought Control isn't a viable primary damage dealer.  If you go psi, you should go heavy in both Metathermics and Psychokinesis.

If you want to have the most options available to you so that your gameplay doesn't boil down to the same two or three actions every combat every time, then go psi.  Sniper is great fun if you like the sneaky playstyle, though; you're constantly trying to lay out good lines of sight, safe LOS breaks for you to use so you can funnel enemies into traps and kill zones.  But if you want raw power or maximal variety, you go psi.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 06:40:33 pm »
Overall your skill dsitribution is not bad, except putting that little in crafting (doesn't give you ability to craft anything useful and takes your points), you mostly suffer from having you attributes being improperly distributed.

But you can make half decent fist fighter if you want. Take Lightning Punches next level, then Combo and Taste for Blood. Put 20 and 24 stat increase in Dex,  take +2 Dex veteran feat on 26. That and tabi will give you 5 AP attack on leather gloves and 8 on metal ones. Find Claw i Core City sewers and Power Fist in abandoned base with electrical spiders (use energy shield there). If you put also some points in bio, you may want to craft Focus Stim (+15% crit cahnce, 50 effective bio), Bullhead (stun immunity for 3 turns, 80 bio) and Irongut (reduces bio damage for 10 turns, 60 effective bio).

After lvl 26 take Bone Breaker and Wrestling as your last feats. For normal that would be pretty good build.

Also, put at least 20 more points into electronics and craft Taser (Ezra has blueprint). Use best power core and worst electroshock generator, since damage doesn't matter only stun does.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:43:59 pm by MirddinEmris »

trashplayer

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:08:11 pm »
You missed Ripper, which requires 5 Will, and pretty much the only thing that makes blades stand out among other melee options.
Like Gortsky said, you can finish the game relying on clutches but will find a easier time starting over.
I second switching to gloves by taking Lightning Punch as next feat. That and pneumatic hammer add-on will help a lo .