Author Topic: Absolute beginner looking for build tips  (Read 14480 times)

MagnumPI

• Noob
    • View Profile
Absolute beginner looking for build tips
« on: September 08, 2019, 01:30:25 pm »
Hey guys, like the title says, absolute noob here looking for advice. I want to make a build on the normal difficulty (I assume thats what its called) that focuses on traps/throwing grenades and crafting those said grenades, while weilding pistols.

Do you guys have any advice about the things I should be looking out for/ or general advice ?

Exterminator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Absolute beginner looking for build tips
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 03:02:59 pm »
You've come to the right place, fren'.
This here build is focused on energy and chemical pistols and grenades. Regular pistols are pretty weak, unfortunately - not terrible, but not that good for a newblood, you dig?
Dexterity reduces the AP, needed to attack with light weapons (pistols, smg, knives, fists).
Also, it greatly increases the damage of your grenades through the Three-pointer feat.
Lastly, it allows you to have a high Guns skill through the Versatility feat and high melee score.
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMQAwcGAwgZwqAAwqAAAFBGKAAoRmRGLVAANwBGVQA8wqMBKyYWKj4CKUtZDcKHVsKawrN2eeKlvAXita4K378

You can replace Opportunist or Point shot with Quick Tinkering - very strong feat, that allows you to place traps mid combat. However, chemical pistols can root enemies too, so in this build QT is not the best choice IMO.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 03:08:12 pm by Exterminator »

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 08:59:36 pm »
Hey guys, like the title says, absolute noob here looking for advice. I want to make a build on the normal difficulty (I assume thats what its called) that focuses on traps/throwing grenades and crafting those said grenades, while weilding pistols.
Well, for pistols, there are three options: classic firearms, chemical pistols and energy weapons, but if you want to craft your grenades and traps, this narrows the choice. Here is a starting character that can go either way:
strength 3
dexterity 9 (and keep raising it)
agility 3
constitution 5
perception 10
will 3
intelligence 7 (for crafting feats)
Take aimed shot and nimble as your starting feats. On the second level I'd take pack rathound, because grenades and traps weight a lot. On level 4, if you invested enough in throwing, you shoudl take grenadier, which reduces cooldowns on grenades. After that, start investing in the relevant pistol feats. Starting skills would be: guns, throwing, stealth (it will make your life in Underrail much easier), hacking & lockpicking, traps. Crafting can wait until you've found some blueprints and components and know what you want to make. Mercantile is also very useful to have.

Since you want to craft your traps and grenades, I'd recommend either of these two options for pistols:
- chemical  - you'll need high chemistry to craft them, which will also let you craft advanced frag & he grenades, and molotovs, as well as traps. The downside is that using area of effect weapons can be problematic if you find yourself in a team vs. team battle, because any sort of damage to your allies will make them hostile. For chem pistols, you want to take the cooked shot and mad chemist feats asap.
- energy weapons - their potential is in very high criticals, which you can achieve by combining the high technicalities, practical physicist and critical power feats. You will need high electronics to craft them, which will also let you craft advanced emp and plasma grenades and traps, but also other goodies such as energy shields.

Another interesting option to combine with a pistol build is adding some psi powers (which becomes possible only once you have started the game), but this will cost you some hit points. It's not necessary, however, and you can manage without it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:04:03 pm by chimaera »

MagnumPI

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 03:54:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies and effort guys ! Your tips are really helpful  :)