Author Topic: (Spoiler) Is killing everyone the normal pathway for DLC?  (Read 5050 times)

joejoefine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
(Spoiler) Is killing everyone the normal pathway for DLC?
« on: September 22, 2019, 03:30:34 am »
When I arrived at the expeditionary base, I had to defend against a native attack. I then learned that these attacks came on a regular basis - that they weren't scripted events. And moreover...it seemed like there were limited numbers of sec-troopers. So rather than hope that enough survived to repel the attacks during the endgame of the DLC, I decided to do something about it.

Namely, I grabbed my shotgun, assault rifle, and sniper rifle, found out where those dirty natives lived, and mowed down those savages in their homes - killing men, women, and old people alike :D (I also killed their livestock heheh). There was some weird chieftain who turned into a ghost. He didn't last long against my superior firepower, as expected.

I also found a group of shamans, which I casually murdered. But at the end...I found they were praying to a weird totem that seemed to be a gateway to another dimension. I have seen this totem again during the endgame, so I have an idea of what it does and how it affected the natives, but aside from that piece of lore, I couldn't interact with it in any way. I also found a bunch of symbols, but I could only look at them.

On the north-eastern part of the map, I found more of those dirty subhuman primitives so I naturally killed all of them. But then I discovered some kind of evil graveyard, and I am utterly confused as to why this was there. It doesn't seem to do anything. It just has these weird pulleys that you can't operate. Has anyone figured out what these do?

Lastly there was this one savage in a cave. But he was aggressive the moment I came upon him. All I wanted to do was talk, but he started advancing on me with his spear. Being the dirty, violent primitive that he is I was forced to kill him too...but I can't help but feel there could have been more to the interaction.

Has anyone found a way to converse with the natives? Can the dark shrine they pray to be used in any way? What happens in the graveyard? And do you get anything out of talking to the ferryman? He had some weird philosophy that I couldn't understand. Not that I cared too much as it sounded like woo anyway. If he actually had a semi-intelligent philosophy I might have bothered ingesting cerebrix so my character could coax more out of him.

Also...once I found out the pirates kidnapped a member of our expedition, I killed all of them. Is there some alternative solution to this? Are you supposed to just murder all the pirates? Or can you join forces with them, work with them to attack the natives, etc.? I just feel like there were probably a number of diplomatic options that I missed (or maybe  not?). The one bright exception to my massacre was mutie island. They seemed like a harmless bunch so I left them alone. They were at least more civilized than the natives

Finally, as maybe a final note about the endgame of the original. I was thinking there should be rewards for taking on more significant tasks. I managed to wipe out all the protectorate forces from their main base in upper underrail (fort apogee), their lieutenant who was trying to break in at the tchortist base, all protectorate forces in junkyard, as well as their port base in core city and their other small outlying port bases near the rig.

Yet the endgame credits don't really mention anything about these events. In fact the endgame says they survived in south underrail. What it should have said, is that someone mysteriously killed every protectorate soldier, and that the united stations decided to leave that area for good - ceding control to the free drones and a loose alliance of station-states which eventually grew to rival the power of the united stations, but without the militaristic ambitions. It should have been an option with the free drones too. Like - you come back and shock everyone by telling them you single handedly killed all the protectorate forces. Them maybe they'd give you some awesome loot or something. Instead I come back and guy just repeats "we've got to lay low, we can't fight them head on and our numbers are too small blah blah". Of course I understand that devs can't do everything, its just a suggestion in case they do want to make some updates.

PS: Hope not too many Native American gamers read my post lol :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:11:17 am by joejoefine »

Kiruha

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: (Spoiler) Is killing everyone the normal pathway for DLC?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 05:59:34 am »
You can get Eternal Torch and destroy dark altars and ghosts with it. Also that one not so agressive dude that you killed was able to tell you more about it if you had more intelligence. Also you was able to get more lore from him. Also about ferryman - you need more INT to debate him.

joejoefine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 03:14:38 pm »
Alright I suppose that's something. But it still seems like you're meant to kill virtually everybody except the mutants, unless you don't care about the pirates. Kind of interesting to me, as I rarely see games designed where the two major factions are basically only meant to be destroyed. Kind of innovative I suppose

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 06:00:10 pm »
You can join the pirates.

Lyca0n

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 07:47:13 pm »
You can join the pirates.

Yea but have the feeling this induces more killing unfortunately.
"To him who looks upon the world rationally, the world in its turn presents a rational aspect"-Hegel

Kiruha

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 07:49:48 pm »
I think that if you join pirates, you can ignore Aegis and they leave the black sea. I see no point in helping Aegis because they leave Black Sea anyway, and you will be without shops and services. It's much more profitable to join pirates, also you will be free from tribals attacks

Delta07

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 10:23:29 pm »
I think that if you join pirates, you can ignore Aegis and they leave the black sea. I see no point in helping Aegis because they leave Black Sea anyway, and you will be without shops and services. It's much more profitable to join pirates, also you will be free from tribals attacks
I say kill the savages and the pirates while working for Aegis. Try to help the mutants if you can, I think doing so unlocks an option with the Ferryman.

brobotics

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 03:58:27 pm »
All the lore concerning the Natives is locked behind a 9 INT requirement if you killed all the muties.